United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 26-10-2015, 06:37 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Is that the girl from game of thrones? I love her.
if you have to ask, you don't.

Unread 26-10-2015, 06:40 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Its always the Lvg joyboys seeing their arses on here whatever the result.

What a meltdown by draggers, utd99, lazlo etc....

750m

Prove to me LvG has spent less than £250m. You didn't manage to do it last time.
So once again you fronted me up about proof, got it multiple ways, and disappeared. I'm sure next time this comes up it'll be 300m again.

Any opinion that requires a suspension of the Law of Economics to validate it isn't much of an opinion my friend.

Unread 26-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Furry Russian hats

I understand the keep ball and slow build up in the first two thirds of the field, the problem is it's the same In the final third.

It's all well and good saying it was a sagey, tactical game of high quality and few mistakes, but there were few mistakes because no defender was ever put under any real pressure.

It was all so one paced and predictable, the only way you could see us scoring was with an individual moment of brilliance.

A draw was a decent result and l would of taken it before the game, but l don't think a bit more adventure from the team is to much to ask for.

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:01 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Russian hats;4255437[B
]I understand the keep ball and slow build up in the first two thirds of the field, the problem is it's the same In the final third[/b].

It's all well and good saying it was a sagey, tactical game of high quality and few mistakes, but there were few mistakes because no defender was ever put under any real pressure.

It was all so one paced and predictable, the only way you could see us scoring was with an individual moment of brilliance.

A draw was a decent result and l would of taken it before the game, but l don't think a bit more adventure from the team is to much to ask for.
We had only 1 player in the front 3 capable of upping the tempo yesterday, potentially 2 in the squad. That is the problem right there.

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:11 PM
puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We had only 1 player in the front 3 capable of upping the tempo yesterday, potentially 2 in the squad. That is the problem right there.
Thanks

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:30 PM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Look at City yesterday, Sterling, 46 million, De Bruyne 55(seriously?) million, Bony 30 million, Fernandinho 30 million. The first 2 might end up as excellent players for them but we are hardly talking about elite players on the world stage right now.

Bony as a 30 million forward just shows how little striking talent has been out there recently and why Martial is looking a better signing by the week.
You only have to compare against what is available right now. There is a real lack of top quality players. And there are 2 clubs who will beat most others when it comes to top quality (real madrid/barca).

Compared to 90s/00s the top football talent is so underwhelming.

Griezmann next top talent for 80m... 100m for pogba... If you look at that way 55m for bruyne, 55m for martial or 46m for sterling (especially with home grown quota) is not bad.

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Furry Russian hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Rooney was having a poor game and Van Gaal is obviously loathed to sub him, so in that case l don't know why he didn't just move him over to the left and play Martial through the middle.

He couldn't of played any worse and maybe the extra time on the ball would have helped his confidence.

Herrera and Mata are easily good enough to up the tempo, l know you have misgivings about Mata and in some instances l share them, but he is more than capable of the quick thinking one touch football that is needed to break down a team like City.

In fact, l think your being a bit unfair on the squad there, it's the safety first mentality that is the problem, not the players.

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:47 PM
dunk

No it isn't, the perceived safety first mentality is a direct result of the rest of the team not trusting the attackers to do the necessary, score goals/hold the ball up etc.. Notice we were more attacking and potent when Martial was through the middle, holding the ball up, bringing others into play, offering a threat in behind etc.

Agreed on Rooney on the left, did alright there against Arsenal 2nd half..

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Coracao

I thought Bony actually played well for the first half hour yesterday. Certainly held the ball up better than our centre forward

Unread 26-10-2015, 09:59 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
I thought Bony actually played well for the first half hour yesterday. Certainly held the ball up better than our centre forward
Said that, first striker I've seen this season fend off Smalling in a battle of strength. If we'd had someone holding the ball up like that we'd probably have won.

Unread 26-10-2015, 10:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrydimaria
You only have to compare against what is available right now. There is a real lack of top quality players. And there are 2 clubs who will beat most others when it comes to top quality (real madrid/barca).

Compared to 90s/00s the top football talent is so underwhelming.

Griezmann next top talent for 80m... 100m for pogba... If you look at that way 55m for bruyne, 55m for martial or 46m for sterling (especially with home grown quota) is not bad.
We say this, but then Bayern go and spend just £22m on Douglas Costa. 25 years old and looks a top class player in his prime.

Last summer Griezmann was known to everyone, but Atletico got him for a similar amount to Costa. I bet Draxler was less and he'll probably move again next summer.

The players are about. United have done well to get Martial and Memphis. More will follow, but we can't do it all at once.

Unread 27-10-2015, 12:19 AM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Not setting the bar very high there

Unread 27-10-2015, 04:28 AM
angrydimaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
We say this, but then Bayern go and spend just £22m on Douglas Costa. 25 years old and looks a top class player in his prime.

Last summer Griezmann was known to everyone, but Atletico got him for a similar amount to Costa. I bet Draxler was less and he'll probably move again next summer.

The players are about. United have done well to get Martial and Memphis. More will follow, but we can't do it all at once.
very few though... draxler was less and no one went for him because of injuries and doubts that he could be a flash in the pan (would love him here though...)

Martial came at a premium. I doubt it would take that much for a player of that ilk 10 or even 5 years ago.

Griezmann was known to everyone but lets be honest he is not comparable to a zidane/ronaldo/figo etc I am comparing him against them since he will be a record transfer or very close to it. Just look at the top attackers today. Lewandowski, Aguero, Benzema, Ronaldo, Neymar, Suarez, Messi, Muller. I am struggling after that (maybe griezmann). 2 of those are at barca, 2 at real, 2 at bayern.

Last decade we had Ruud, Henry, Torres, Rooney, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Roy Makaay, Drogba, Raul, Villa, Eto, Ronaldinho, Trezequet, Totti, fat ronaldo, Ibramovich, Vieri, Crespo.

And there were a lot of second tier player who probably would go for first tier prices right now...

Unread 27-10-2015, 08:58 AM
Ethers

Stunning stuff from Rafabio.

There were more top attackers over a whole decade than there are right now.

And prices have gone up.

Incredible sageing. The lad is a fountain of football insight.

Unread 27-10-2015, 05:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

And prices have gone up.

He is right about the concentration of talent, mind. I'd say six of the best eight forwards in the world probably play for Barca and Bayern. If it was spread out a little better it wouldn't feel as much a paucity of talent. And the latter stages of the CL wouldn't feel so predictable.

Still, in Martial we've pulled off something special. More signings like that and the future will look very bright.

Unread 27-10-2015, 06:06 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers

And prices have gone up.