United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2023, 07:47 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parlabane
I heard a quote a while ago along the lines of The Galzers would never hire a football person such as Ole to run the commercial department but are quite happy to hire accountants to run the football side of things.

As long as this continues we are £#%&!ed - any changes in manager are akin to rearranging the deckchairs on the titanic
That would be hilarious though.

Unread 26-10-2023, 09:09 PM
Medlock

Tbh, I will start losing the faith if he can't put out a team on Sunday that is 100% focused and committed in defence on Sunday. No point in being a disciplinarian off the pitch, if on the pitch players losing runners, over committing, being passive in the tackle etc. He has to pick a team able and willing to keep it tight and run all day. You will always get chances vs city. It might not work but if we set up and play like we usually do they'll be all over us from minute 1 and we'll never be in the game.
Am utterly sick of getting smashed by our rivals. Come on Erik: sort it out

Unread 27-10-2023, 12:06 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Correct I agree that a competent director of football would have allowed us to spend our money more wisely. But we don't have one because our owners would rather have marketing men and bankers making football decisions. That isn't going to change if we sack Ten Hag is it.

Look at the other clubs in the top 6. City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle. How many of them are shoe horning in loan signings at the last minute to cover holes in the squad? Cos we seem to be doing that every £#%&!ing season now since Ole was in charge. How many of them are operating in this demented structure that we have where nobody above the manager knows how to identify and bring talent to the club?

You may get a slight upturn in form if we sack Ten Hag but i guarantee you with the idiots in the boardroom we'll be right back here within 2 years as always.
I definitely see your points but regardless of the loan signings his actual signings have been bad. I think he has made the worst signings as a manager post Fergie in the sense that rarely do any of them make
sense

we have signed 8 players under him.
And the team we want to be, only have 3 of them starting games.

this summer we would have closed the gap slightly on our rivals if we kept de gea on and instead of signing mount as well, had signed two attacking players for the money we wasted on Onana and Mount.

If also the Antony money was spent on a half decent attacking player we’d almost be like liverpool.
Average in midfield and but a good enough attacking unit to score goals and win games.

Right now, yes our defence is injured but every team we play looks more competent and purposeful.

I kept saying it in the Summer we need goals and attacking players
Imagine knowing our senior attacking players are rashford , Antony and Hojlund!
Yet for 3 places in midfield we have amrabat, ,mount,vdb,Bruno,casimero,The Scottish Player and eriksen.

How can we be two seasons in and be worse that our first season. This has nothing to do with our United back line as the teams out playing and our working us have worse defences than ours we just don’t get at them because we are shit.

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:27 PM
marlo

….

i told you we were gonna be in big trouble this season.

the signings, the regression from last season.

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:29 PM
Dr Stranger

Last season when you didn’t think we were any good?

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:30 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
….

i told you we were gonna be in big trouble this season.

the signings, the regression from last season.
Fairs fair pal. You certainly mentioned this might happen once or twice.

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:46 PM
Finport Red

This today is completely down to him, I’m afraid.

Signed Mount in the summer, everyone said he was too alike Bruno and played the same position. We are five first team players down against city, so ETH plays neither of them in that position, choosing rather to put Mount on the bench and Bruno out right instead of Antony, who he spent £80 odd million on.

And, he did this all so he could play Mister Dead where Bruno or Mount should have been.

All the while, the untouchable Marcus Rashford saunters around the park, reprising those quality months under Ralph Ragnick. Utterly hopeless, unbothered and unconcerned at losing his place.

It isn’t working. The manager has dropped one lazy @#%&!. He needs to drop the rest, and give garnacho, Hannibal and Mainoo a ten game run in the team to see what they can do.

Good managers make brave decisions. If Haggers wants to be here in the new year, he needs to act now.

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:47 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finport Red

Signed Mount in the summer, everyone said he was too alike Bruno and played the same position. We are five first team players down against city, so ETH plays neither of them in that position, choosing rather to put Mount on the bench and Bruno out right instead of Antony, who he spent £80 odd million on.

And, he did this all so he could play Mister Dead where Bruno or Mount should have been.

All the while, the untouchable Marcus Rashford saunters around the park, reprising those quality months under Ralph Ragnick. Utterly hopeless, unbothered and unconcerned at losing his place.

It isn’t working. The manager has dropped one lazy @#%&!. He needs to drop the rest, and give garnacho, Hannibal and Mainoo a ten game run in the team to see what they can do.

Good managers make brave decisions. If Haggers wants to be here in the new year, he needs to act now.
Good post.

Unread 29-10-2023, 07:58 PM
AK14

Quote:

Nope.

First team back four all injured. A 36 year old reserve at CB and a CB at left back (regulion obviously not fully fit).Multiple missed chances through out the game.

That’s not on the manager.

Yes he’s made mistakes (subs today were odd) but it wasn’t completely down to him.

I also don’t think dropping those young kids altogether into a team lacking in confidence with the above issues is long to do them or us any favours long term, although maybe worth a punt.

I agree on rashford, time he’s dropped.

Unread 29-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Nope.

First team back four all injured. A 36 year old reserve at CB and a CB at left back (regulion obviously not fully fit).Multiple missed chances through out the game.

That’s not on the manager.

Yes he’s made mistakes (subs today were odd) but it wasn’t completely down to him.

I also don’t think dropping those young kids altogether into a team lacking in confidence with the above issues is long to do them or us any favours long term, although maybe worth a punt.

I agree on rashford, time he’s dropped.
We could’ve had the treble winning back four on today in their prime and still not won. We aren’t creating any proper chances. He’s bought players to fix that, but doesn’t play them.

Our term’s best performance this season was when we had two of those three kids starting, and the other was to be pur midfield saviour this year till he got injured.

I’m still on the manager’s side. Just. But he needs to get his finger out and drop the ones I’ve said. Our form isn’t much better than relegation level currently.

Unread 29-10-2023, 08:40 PM
AK14

Quote:
We could’ve had the treble winning back four on today in their prime and still not won. We aren’t creating any proper chances. He’s bought players to fix that, but doesn’t play them.

Our term’s best performance this season was when we had two of those three kids starting, and the other was to be pur midfield saviour this year till he got injured.

I’m still on the manager’s side. Just. But he needs to get his finger out and drop the ones I’ve said. Our form isn’t much better than relegation level currently.

We created chances but like you said in the other thread, the players on the end of those chances weren’t good enough.

Mount has been injured for much of the season so far tbf and like we see with many players when they’re injured early on in the season it takes a while to reintroduce them into the team.

Throwing three kids into this team, with this defence behind them and lack of confidence dripping through would be a mistake imo. But like I said maybe it’s worth a gamble, but the concern would be it would be more damaging to them. I’d give Garnacho a run In place of rashford if I’m honest, but he was pretty shit early on in the season and I think he’s better off the bench at the moment. Obviously rashford form may force us to start him.

We need a miracle and get a stable competent back four back from injury (long way off), we need Casemiro to somehow catch a second wind (not happening I know) and for Amrabat to not be average (doubtful that will happen).

Unread 29-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Nope.

Imagine guardiola going to his CEO and asking for centre back cover "yeah we can't get you Gvardiol pep, sorry. But Joelon lescott doesn't have a club, how about him?"

That's how United are operating now. In the bargain bin. In that starting 11 for us today we had two freebie transfers in Evans and Eriksen, a loanee in Amrabat, a shit centre back playing as a left back who was then replaced with another loanee who isn't good enough for spurs.

Hmmm, i wonder why we looks shit?

Unread 29-10-2023, 08:58 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Weirdly, despite the criticism of De Gea last season much of which was merited, we were basically a team who got by from having a sound defence and nicking a goal here and there. Most clean sheets etc .. got absolutely pumped away from home against top 6 but barely conceded in basically all other fixtures.

Have said it many times; in 20 years only 3 teams got into the top 4 with less goals than we did. One of them had Fellaini up front, another Peter Crouch.

Now despite in theory having a more expansive, creative midfield, we are scoring even less goals and the defence has gone to shit too.

Very very bad look on his ability to construct a system that will ever work in this league. Even when things were good, he’s never shown the ability to construct a useful attack.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:05 PM
AK14

The defence has gone to shit because every single one of our first team defence is injured and we’re playing a 36 year old reserve at CB, a CB at left back and the legs have finally gone on our ‘defensive’ midfielder (who is also injured at the moment?).

Clearly that has had an impact on us progressing on from last season and also impacts the ability of the team creating chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Imagine guardiola going to his CEO and asking for centre back cover "yeah we can't get you Gvardiol pep, sorry. But Joelon lescott doesn't have a club, how about him?"

That's how United are operating now. In the bargain bin. In that starting 11 for us today we had two freebie transfers in Evans and Eriksen, a loanee in Amrabat, a shit centre back playing as a left back who was then replaced with another loanee who isn't good enough for spurs.

Hmmm, i wonder why we looks shit?
It’s £#%&!ing criminal.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:14 PM
dunk

Said it when everyone was clamouring for Ole to be sacked, don’t do it. Same thing will happen to the next man. This isn’t a managerial issue, this is a problem with the entire institution.

The £#%&!ers got their way with Ole, and lo and behold, here we are again, despite hiring the best possible candidate.. eventually.

Nothing changes until the owners and direction of the club changes. Simple.

Pep even knows it and alluded to it before and after this game. The club is in £#%&!ing turmoil and has been since about March when expectations of a change of ownership began to fade and impatience and uncertainty started setting in.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:21 PM
VanHaaksbergen

Quote:
The defence has gone to shit because every single one of our first team defence is injured.
Not as easy as that.
Conceded 2 quickly against Forest who went down to 10. First team defence.
2 at Spurs. Very very lucky to play a Wolves team with no strikers first week missing chance after chance. 2 missing from first choice at Arsenal CL then conceded 3.

Outlier Goals from the shunned defenders have actually bailed him out this season. The attack is getting nothing.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:21 PM
dunk

If anything I’d say news of Jim’s investment has made everything worse. I’m considering whether or not it’s even worth following them for the next decade or so, as the slippery slope will continue. We all knew the club was on dodgy financial ground for a while, the potential sale offered a chink of light that they has realised that they couldn’t afford it and had to get out. Now the kick in the %@#$&!s that is Jim giving them exactly what they wanted has basically sentenced us to another inevitable period of slow death, and everyone inside the club knows it.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Said it when everyone was clamouring for Ole to be sacked, don’t do it. Same thing will happen to the next man. This isn’t a managerial issue, this is a problem with the entire institution.

The £#%&!ers got their way with Ole, and lo and behold, here we are again, despite hiring the best possible candidate.. eventually.

Nothing changes until the owners and direction of the club changes. Simple.

Pep even knows it and alluded to it before and after this game. The club is in £#%&!ing turmoil and has been since about March when expectations of a change of ownership began to fade and impatience and uncertainty started setting in.
Doesn't help that ETH is the only manager in the history of the game to buy a few duds.

Unread 29-10-2023, 09:30 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Doesn't help that ETH is the only manager in the history of the game to buy a few duds.
His signings this summer never stood a chance tbf.

Mount was roundly written off before he kicked a ball and was injured inside 2 games. Plan and experiment with him out the window.

Hojlund arrives late and injured and by the time he’s in the team they’re in the doldrums.

Onana hasn’t played 90 minutes behind the first choice back 4 yet, and not behind the same back 4 for 180 consecutive minutes yet, I don’t think.

Amrabat - late and injured, plus a huge disappointment to the fans as he’s another loan signing.

It’s just more cluster£#%&! from a club in turmoil.
Closed Thread