United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
They're one in the same ffs. Jorginho has a WHOPPING 2 goals and 4 assists the past season and Fred has a MIGHTY 2 goals and 2 assists.
Haven’t seen much of Fred tbh but by all accounts he’s more of a box to box midfielder; energetic and dribbles. Jorginho isn’t really that type; been compared to Pirlo as someone who pulls the strings. Tbh I’ve felt that’s exactly the type of player we need.

That’s not to say Fred - who we appear to have decided is coming - won’t do well obvs

City will probably sign both.

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Sparky***

I prefer Parters when he's giving us pictures of the new kits tbh

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Haven’t seen much of Fred tbh but by all accounts he’s more of a box to box midfielder; energetic and dribbles. Jorginho isn’t really that type; been compared to Pirlo as someone who pulls the strings. Tbh I’ve felt that’s exactly the type of player we need.

That’s not to say Fred - who we appear to have decided is coming - won’t do well obvs

City will probably sign both.
Both manlet midfielders with a slight difference to their game. Jorginho under LVG would have been a dream but we need a good engine in midfield.

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Both manlet midfielders with a slight difference to their game. Jorginho under LVG would have been a dream but we need a good engine in midfield.
Need more energy in a few areas tbh. But we definitely need a brain in deep midfield; have done since Carrick declined 3/4 years ago. Shame about Basti.

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I prefer Parters when he's giving us pictures of the new kits tbh
Just dropping a few truth bombs matey; sorry.

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:56 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Need more energy in a few areas tbh. But we definitely need a brain in deep midfield; have done since Carrick declined 3/4 years ago. Shame about Basti.
I think Matic is doing a good job in that deeper role- but agree we miss Carrick and his style. Will be Poggers and Fred either side of Matic as the two to get up and down the pitch I think, in theory it sounds like a decent 3. Not seen a great deal of either Fred or Jorginho tho' to form a big opinion on them.

Unread 31-05-2018, 01:59 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
I think Matic is doing a good job in that deeper role- but agree we miss Carrick and his style. Will be Poggers and Fred either side of Matic as the two to get up and down the pitch I think, in theory it sounds like a decent 3. Not seen a great deal of either Fred or Jorginho tho' to form a big opinion on them.
Sounds awful tbh. We need a playmaker in there.

Any United team under Mourinho is doomed.

Unread 31-05-2018, 02:01 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Not a huge Matic fan but the fact that he does a decent spoiling job deep does probably mean a deep lying playmaker like Jorginho could make it a bit static. Besides, we aren’t really a passing team. Someone who covers ground and carries the ball like Fred maybe more suited to the style.

Unread 31-05-2018, 02:23 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Matic is good at getting the ball back deep but his passing tends to be a bit pedestrian and side to side rather than forward, although it's hard to tell whether that's his personal limitations or just that we're shapeless dog shit going forward as a team.

Hard to imagine a box to box type sorting it out to be honest, Pogba can get box to box, it's getting the ball box to box before the opposing defence has dug in on their 18 yard line that's the issue.

If Madrid don't want Kovacic he'd be worth a punt, although given Modric's age it may be that he gets more playing time next season.

Unread 02-06-2018, 08:22 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 36 Offer
Joining city in next few days for 40 odd million; 10-15m less than we are paying for the inferior Fred ffs
Explain Napoli rejecting £44m bid from city smart boy

Unread 03-06-2018, 09:03 AM
Seamus

I thought Jorginho was similar to de Bruyne

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:25 PM
utd99

Every transfer season you have some blend of the following misnomer- that somehow if City or Chelsea weren’t in for someone, they simply weren’t worth it and we’ve been had over, fighting for scraps they leave.

Where did this two-bob, self loathing attitude come from? City have bought some good players, but in truth - and until recently- most of their platform of success in squeaking past us was based on 5 purchases made 6-9 years ago: Kompany, Silva, Toure, Tevez and Aguero. More recently De Bruyne and Sane.

The Lescott’s, Rodwell’s, Sinclair’s, Jovetic’s, Nolito’s, Navas’, Managla’s, Fernando’s, Bony’s, Stones’, Bravo’s, Negredo’s -and there are loads more- all get conveniently swept under the rug because they don’t serve a stick to beat us with. Should we have been in for that pile of shit too?

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Every transfer season you have some blend of the following misnomer- that somehow if City or Chelsea weren’t in for someone, they simply weren’t worth it and we’ve been had over, fighting for scraps they leave.

Where did this two-bob, self loathing attitude come from? City have bought some good players, but in truth - and until recently- most of their platform of success in squeaking past us was based on 5 purchases made 6-9 years ago: Kompany, Silva, Toure, Tevez and Aguero. More recently De Bruyne and Sane.

The Lescott’s, Rodwell’s, Sinclair’s, Jovetic’s, Nolito’s, Navas’, Managla’s, Fernando’s, Bony’s, Stones’, Bravo’s, Negredo’s -and there are loads more- all get conveniently swept under the rug because they don’t serve a stick to beat us with. Should we have been in for that pile of shit too?
New to Fred etc. It's an utterly bizarre way of thinking.

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Coracao

Quote:

Made all the more bizarre though that City clearly wanted Fred previously

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

People don't like the manager. So therefore everybody we want to sign is shit because, obviously, Mourinho is a horrendous manager who only wants to sign bad players.

City have been buying better players than United regularly for 9 years while United were out bargain basement shopping for the likes of Owen, Powell, Smalling, Jones, Buttner, Zaha, bebe... etc the list goes on. We got away with it because of a core of very experienced players who hoisted the club to one last hurrah before the greatest manager who ever stepped into a dugout retired.

Meanwhile City were buying (along with a fair few duds) players who would go on to be the spine of 3 title winning teams for the best part of 8 years.

Everything since for United has been largely badly overseen panic buying under 3 different managers all with wildly different ideas on how football should be played.

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
utd99

Quote:
People don't like the manager. So therefore everybody we want to sign is shit because, obviously, Mourinho is a horrendous manager who only wants to sign bad players.

City have been buying better players than United regularly for 9 years while United were out bargain basement shopping for the likes of Owen, Powell, Smalling, Jones, Buttner, Zaha, bebe... etc the list goes on. We got away with it because of a core of very experienced players who hoisted the club to one last hurrah before the greatest manager who ever stepped into a dugout retired.

Meanwhile City were buying (along with a fair few duds) players who would go on to be the spine of 3 title winning teams for the best part of 8 years.

Everything since for United has been largely badly overseen panic buying under 3 different managers all with wildly different ideas on how football should be played.
I’m certainly not excusing us for making bad buys mate; and we’ve made a lot of them. I suppose I just can’t understand where this attitude of validating our own potential buys through the prism of what other teams are doing/thinking came from.

First of all, we can’t possibly know what these teams are or aren’t thinking, we’ve never seen the players themselves and the needs of each will be different. So just saying some version of ‘if they were any good, City, Chelsea, Real etc etc would have snapped them up’ reeks of inferiority complex.

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:55 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I’m certainly not excusing us for making bad buys mate; and we’ve made a lot of them. I suppose I just can’t understand where this attitude of validating our own potential buys through the prism of what other teams are doing/thinking came from.

First of all, we can’t possibly know what these teams are or aren’t thinking, we’ve never seen the players themselves and the needs of each will be different. So just saying some version of ‘if they were any good, City, Chelsea, Real etc etc would have snapped them up’ reeks of inferiority complex.
I refer you to my first sentence.

It needs no other explanation.

Unread 03-06-2018, 02:56 PM
utd99

Quote:
I refer you to my first sentence.

It needs no other explanation.
It’s been going on for years.

Unread 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Switching Off

Quote:

Exactly. In 8 years they've won it 3 times. It's only now they seem to be getting it right and it's cost them a billion to get there.

Unread 03-06-2018, 04:10 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Exactly. In 8 years they've won it 3 times. It's only now they seem to be getting it right and it's cost them a billion to get there.
Two of which we handed them on a plate.
Closed Thread