United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-05-2007, 01:38 AM
jem

Default the glazers have done nothing but good

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle1779724.ece

and there, tucked away, is this little comment...

Quote:
He has been linked with Chelsea and Manchester United, who must be kicking themselves. Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, told Berbatov last summer that he could finance a move for him once he had sold Ruud van Nistelrooy. Tottenham nipped in and Berbatov decided that it was better not to lose out twice.
gosh. does that mean we could have had berbatov for £10.9mio if we had a transfer budget?

Unread 12-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Enjoying Insanity

Touche

Unread 12-05-2007, 01:45 AM
celtbion

£#%&! that, not doing anything to completely £#%&! up the club on the football side of things doesn't validate what they've done over the past two years.

I've been on the "wait and see" side of things but I will be irritated to see them celebrating the league title on Sunday.

Fact is, they've done about as much as me to help with this league campaign.

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Newton Heath

a@#%&!ancy

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Whip Hubley

diploma in £#%&!wittery.

i can't believe your whole argument re: funds comes down to 'we tried to hargreaves for 60 squadgillion pounds!!!!!111!!!11!!11!!!1.12.13o31'

that article aside, there are several quotes from several people about the fact we had no money. even sennas agent came out and said the deal fell through because we couldn't afford his wages. do you not think there's a slight, just a slight chance that it was a well constructed smoke screen?

"we would buy senna but um, we're really doing our bestest to buy hargreaves. honest."

and i only ever heard that out of gills mouth. someone should drag up that thread about glazers PR i wrote a while back, even she said that while negotiations were 'ongoing' and we were 'doing our best', the reason they'd dragged out was over money - but not that we wouldn't pay 20 million, more the fact we wouldn't pay over a much lower figure.

anyway i'm not gonna argue the point because we always go round in circles. have a good weekend

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Mr Kaboom

What happened to the £25 million transfer budget ? Why should Ruud needed to have been sold ? Glazer lies

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
captain scarlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Drinker
What happened to the £25 million transfer budget ? Why should Ruud needed to have been sold ? Glazer lies

Yes I was wondering where they mislaid that myself.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain scarlet
Yes I was wondering where they mislaid that myself.
should be 75 million by all accounts this year

Unread 12-05-2007, 03:45 PM
Enjoying Insanity

I think the Glazers need to have a mooch down the back of their couch they seem to keep mislaying 25 million quid each year....

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:24 PM
shuffle_like_sharpey

lets be fair. there is no proof that the article is true and fergie wanted berbatov but the club couldn't afford him, and there is no proof that united intended to actually buy hargreaves for 20m.

only the glazers know how much we had to spend, although the fact the net spend turned out to be 0 indicates it was not a lot.

Unread 12-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle_like_sharpey
lets be fair. there is no proof that the article is true and fergie wanted berbatov but the club couldn't afford him, and there is no proof that united intended to actually buy hargreaves for 20m.

only the glazers know how much we had to spend, although the fact the net spend turned out to be 0 indicates it was not a lot.
The proof issue is exactly the reason the PLC was a good thing.

Most things had to be transparent and declared. With the Glazers £#%&! only knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Unread 12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
borsuk

Default question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if we had a transfer budget?
what's the difference between a transfer budget and a war chest?

answer: whatever you like. just pick your own number and multiply it by whatever you like.

Unread 12-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Enjoying Insanity

Latest breaking news on SSN, the Warchest has been found !!!!

Unread 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
mr.sitter

look . i'm no glazer apologist, but this berbatov thing. if its true that the ruud deal wasn't certain, wouldn't it be fair enough of our owners(whoever they were) to say...hang on, we've got saha, oli and smith as well as van nistelroy until he's sold...you've got to sell one before you buy another...spurs took advantage and nipped in..it happens sometimes

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Zorg

A war chest is a heavy wooden box that Fergie has to employ a couple of heavies to lug across the car park and into his boot.

A transfer budget, meanwhile, merely consists of a piece of paper encased in a leather-bound jacket.

Hope this helps.

Unread 12-05-2007, 08:41 PM
In 76 now this is true

United bid £22 million on Hargreaves and £8 million on Bale last January, yet bids werent accepted.
They had to sell ruud before thet bought a forward, if they would have bought before, ruuds value would have been even less. the Ruud sale turned into a farce, with him attending pre-season training much to Fergusons annoyance.

Unread 12-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Zorg

The crooks who run football don't give a £#%&! about supporters. They don't care about history and tradition. They don't care that clubs were originally created to be part of their communities (hence the term 'club'). They don't care that these clubs then became part of the fabric of people's lives. They don't care that supporters are the lifeblood of clubs. They don't care that future generations may well not be able to go to matches as its too expensive for families now.

They only want customers, and they only care about money.

It amazes me there are still people left who can't see this.

Unread 12-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Papadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
The crooks who run football don't give a £#%&! about supporters. They don't care about history and tradition. They don't care that clubs were originally created to be part of their communities (hence the term 'club'). They don't care that these clubs then became part of the fabric of people's lives. They don't care that supporters are the lifeblood of clubs. They don't care that future generations may well not be able to go to matches as its too expensive for families now.

They only want customers, and they only care about money.

It amazes me there are still people left who can't see this.
unlike your club eh

Unread 12-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Tropical

Thumbs up Ta for that. Short, and tells me all I need to know.

*adds papadoc to Petty Snivelling Malignant Brainwashed £#%&!wit List*

*reminds self to pester armchair about officially renaming it that; "Ignore list" seems so prosaic*
Closed Thread