United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
professional anyones are bad. only a complete £#%&!ing £#%&!er defines themselves by where they were randomly born rather than the things they say and do.
Agreed.

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Denis Irwell

The accent is horrific because it has undergone a major contrived overhaul over the past 30+ years or so. Think Cilla (You can do it) and Ringo for two examples. One from Scotty Rd and the other Bootle. Two inner city areas yet they spoke a Lancs accent with a Liverpool twang like all Liverpudlians. Their wurr (where) and thurr (there) were then outlawed as being yonner/woollyback talk and never a Jamesie Carragher choking vomit to be heard until the accent police turned up until the late 70s/80s. "We're alf Irish y'know Laa". We are hearing the delightful results of that today. It's their uniqueness you know. They have £#%&! all else - although it's no worse than gormless Burnage musicians or Altrincham/Sale doing Salford.

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:50 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
The accent is horrific because it has undergone a major contrived overhaul over the past 30+ years or so. Think Cilla (You can do it) and Ringo for two examples. One from Scotty Rd and the other Bootle. Two inner city areas yet they spoke a Lancs accent with a Liverpool twang like all Liverpudlians. Their wurr (where) and thurr (there) were then outlawed as being yonner/woollyback talk and never a Jamesie Carragher choking vomit to be heard until the accent police turned up until the late 70s/80s. "We're alf Irish y'know Laa". We are hearing the delightful results of that today. It's their uniqueness you know. They have £#%&! all else - although it's no worse than gormless Burnage musicians or Altrincham/Sale doing Salford.

Well said.

I've made this observation before. listen to any scouser from that era and its not as severe as you hear now.

A mild scouse accent is fine. particularly on a guy.

A thick one though. ....dear Lord. ...

again though, you could say that about most places. any really thick accent is £#%&!ing horrible.

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:53 PM
92ToBury

What a strange thread. Can we check wonky over for scouse levels?

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:57 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

like the city, like the people, hate the club. anyone who talks 'the footie' with one is asking for it. back in the 80's when they all became aren't we hilarious witty funny as £#%&! skause was a ball ache, but even that seems to have died down.

like another team I could mention, their oot support are a right set of @#%&!s

Unread 21-11-2014, 12:59 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:

again though, you could say that about most places. any really thick accent is £#%&!ing horrible.
this.

Unread 21-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
professional anyones are bad. only a complete £#%&!ing w****r defines themselves by where they were randomly born rather than the things they say and do.
Like that #@&%!, the subject a couple of threads down

Unread 21-11-2014, 01:36 PM
andyroo

Quote:
A good observation.

I reckon the Dublin accents (both nortside and south) have undergone a similar metamorphosis. Older Dubs I know don't talk like Love/Hate or Ross O'Carroll Kelly.

Unread 21-11-2014, 01:56 PM
guerreiro

Quote:
A mild scouse accent is fine. particularly on a guy. .
This scouse love in has officially gone too far now.

A couple of weeks without football and you're all on the Kumbaya juice.

Unread 21-11-2014, 02:19 PM
Zorg

This thread

Unread 21-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Wez

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerreiro
This scouse love in has officially gone too far now.

A couple of weeks without football and you're all on the Kumbaya juice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
This thread

Unread 21-11-2014, 09:24 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Lived there for a year in mid 90s. Found the scousers I interacted with to be spot on. Thought the city itself was a stinking dump.
It has improved a bit since then, tbf. People are just the same, though.

Unread 21-11-2014, 09:48 PM
ChairmanMao

Worked in and around Liverpool on and off for the last 12 years, steer clear of football apart from the inevitable are you red or blue question, and have no real issues with them, yes they have their share of @#%&!s but so does anywhere. I have scousers that I would consider good friends, Berts and cockneys too, not so many cockneys mind, they really are largely @#%&!s.

I hate Liverpool football club, always have, and they probably hate us, but I can seperate the two.

Unread 22-11-2014, 01:06 AM
dinger

Every scouser I've met has been sound until football is brought up, red or blue. They're usually decent lads, and the women are great company.

Liverpools a great night out too.

There are places out there like Stoke and Middlesbrough that should be getting a lot more grief, absolute @#%&! soups them type of towns.

Unread 22-11-2014, 09:23 AM
puressence

utd and Liverpool are basically the same that what the hatred stems from .. like trying to find the #@&%! of the school lpool held it for years then the little boolox grew a set and took over and is still dominating playground rights ... the clothes the culture the music its all the same separated by 36 miles ...

Unread 22-11-2014, 05:45 PM
red in cumbria

Not the same, but similar. Quite a lot of it is the narcissism of small differences if we are being totally honest

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Adrian_Lon

Overheard "top reds" calling rooney a scouse bastard tonight literally every time he touched the ball and even during the goal celebration

Unread 23-11-2014, 12:45 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian_Lon
Overheard "top reds" calling rooney a scouse bastard tonight literally every time he touched the ball and even during the goal celebration
Well, he is one. But he's our scouse bastard.

Unread 23-11-2014, 03:07 AM
The taste of...

OP has a point tbf.

The Shankly era was a bit like the Cloughie one - man of the people doing it for his chosen club. Then came that fat faced @#%&! with the bullet hole eyes and you thought ok, they've peaked. Along comes uncle Joe and it's ffs this has gone too far as they started pulling away on titles and big ears. It was during their times a group of them really became @#%&!s with their Stanley knives and firing flares into the OT directors box (anyone else there that day?)

But when that piss faced @#%&! came along he was a conduit for the sense of entitlement, victim culture, snide smug arrogance and the rest of it to fully take root and grow.

That day he interrupted Fergies post match presser holding his kid was both an example of his @#%&!ness and his fear of what he was seeing unfolding.

Unread 23-11-2014, 04:11 AM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
Sounds like something one of the fake try hard Mancs from the environs would do.

Most working class Manc/Salford lads will have far more in common with their scouse counterparts than other Reds.

Irish blood innit, having the horror of 'this beard looks blinding' going to bed and waking up to 'when the £#%&! did it go ginger?' unifies us I reckon.

So many in Salford have that face then hair Gerrard forehead thing going on too that a common ancestor is clearly in play.
Both sides of my family are from peg selling stock but my beard is a beautiful, lush, dark mass. It was a worry though when I first grew one it would be ginge.

Quote:
Listen to any of the Beatles and none of them sounded particularly scouse like today.
Closed Thread