United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Barcelona have Messi, Real have Ronaldo, Bayern have the core of the Germany team and the Bundesliga's star has been rising for 3 seasons now; Dortmund are a terrific young team.

It's absurd to suggest that United couldn't have beaten PSG - Paris had a few chances in the 1st leg against Barca but were essentially out-played just as we were last time we met them. In the 2nd leg Barcelona were absolute garbage until Messi came on but PSG failed to capitalise. On the contrary, United were very good and in control of the Real tie until the red card. Van Persie missed a sitter to win the 1st leg, hit the bar and also forced a brilliant save at the end. We were very very close to seeing off Mourinho's team.

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Jaffa
mental

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
mental
My sentiments exactly

EDIT - Everything you've written is correct but that comment about us outplaying Barca was just gobuladuke

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
My sentiments exactly

EDIT - Everything you've written is correct but that comment about us outplaying Barca was just gobuladuke
He didn't say that tbf.

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:19 PM
dunk

Quote:
My sentiments exactly

OOOhhh, fail hard..

He was talking about PSG last night

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Harri Jaffa

Learn to read Jaffa

Nice gif though imho

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
My sentiments exactly

tbh I thought you'd done a witty edit, but on 2nd look you hadn't even done that

mental

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
tbh I thought you'd done a witty edit, but on 2nd look you hadn't even done that

mental
You can't win 'em all tbf #backtrackbacktrackbacktrack

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
dodger

Quote:
Barcelona have Messi, Real have Ronaldo, Bayern have the core of the Germany team and the Bundesliga's star has been rising for 3 seasons now; Dortmund are a terrific young team.

It's absurd to suggest that United couldn't have beaten PSG - Paris had a few chances in the 1st leg against Barca but were essentially out-played just as we were last time we met them. In the 2nd leg Barcelona were absolute garbage until Messi came on but PSG failed to capitalise. On the contrary, United were very good and in control of the Real tie until the red card. Van Persie missed a sitter to win the 1st leg, hit the bar and also forced a brilliant save at the end. We were very very close to seeing off Mourinho's team.
I agree, we should have beaten a superior madrid side so these things are quite doabale, but I think it's equally absurd to suggest that PSG aren't better than us.

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
MUFC One Love

If we sign a midfielder we will be fine next season. The likes of Welbeck, Jones and Smalling are all gaining vital experience. Whatever you say about Frogson he is brilliant at keeping us competitive whilst creating a new side. Look at Chelsea ffs, they finished 6th last season didn't they? And they're not playing for 4th or at best 3rd. I won't start worrying about us falling away in Europe yet, if we're shite in Europe next season then I might but the last two seasons, fair enough last season we were crap but this season I genuinely believe if Nani hadn't been sent off there is a great chance we would have knocked Madrid out. Look at us in Madrid, all the talk we would get hammered yet we did just fine and should have actually won the game over there.

It seems we say it towards the end of every season/every summer but the midfield definitely needs sorting this summer. It's such an important area and can only help our defence and attackers. I'd say we probably need two central midfielders.

Unread 11-04-2013, 01:36 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Learn to read Jaffa

Nice gif though imho
This one?

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:03 PM
shenwen

Quote:
If Nani hadn't been sent off we'd still be in the FA cup and probably the Champions league
Feels nice but most likely not true.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM
andyroo

Wish Nani had been sent off in the FA Cup. He was £#%&!ing shit.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:08 PM
dodger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Wish Nani had been sent off in the FA Cup. He was £#%&!ing shit.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
I agree, we should have beaten a superior madrid side so these things are quite doabale, but I think it's equally absurd to suggest that PSG aren't better than us.
How can that be true? For a start off they've just signed David Beckham - and started him v Barca - in a direct parallel (or another word for parallel) of what Ferguson has done with Giggs of late...

They are 7pts clear in a far inferior league to the one we're currently 12pts clear in as well...

I'd also argue that Real aren't necessarily superior to us either, and even if they are it's marginal and almost entirely down to them having Ronaldo and us not having an equivalent.

Barcelona were ordinary (very good but not exceptional) and heading out until Messi came into the game.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
barca99

If you are talking purely about the CL then luck plays a big part in it imo. Luck of the draw, luck in games etc.

Nani doesn't get sent off and who knows what could happen. We could be looking at a semi final against a Dortmund side that despite what people think on here we could beat Could say that about a lot of seasons in the CL. We just so happen to have bumped into the best side in the world ever in our last 2 finals Its all ifs and buts but that does play a part. As much as it works against you it works for you, Terry doesn't slip and we are still on 2 for example.

Seems the general consensus is get over the line in the league and there is a big summer coming up. Fergies last chance to win another European Cup drawing ever closer he might make a few more signings, or he may go again with the same squad and win it with a bit of luck along the way.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM
dodger

Quote:
How can that be true? For a start off they've just signed David Beckham - and started him v Barca - in a direct parallel (or another word for parallel) of what Ferguson has done with Giggs of late...

They are 7pts clear in a far inferior league to the one we're currently 12pts clear in as well...

I'd also argue that Real aren't necessarily superior to us either, and even if they are it's marginal and almost entirely down to them having Ronaldo and us not having an equivalent.

Barcelona were ordinary (very good but not exceptional) and heading out until Messi came into the game.
Well it's likely there's more to the Beckham thing than meets the eye as it seems he's the owners signing. Plus he wouldn't have started had Motta been fit.
More of a parallel is us "signing" Scholes last winter in a bid to kick start our season. The difference being we needed a 37 year old midfielder; Beckham has hardly played for them.
Far inferior league? Dunno about that, the premier league is full of dross. French is slightly inferior maybe. I don't see enough of it to say for sure but I know ours is £#%&!.
It's all opinions and I'm not trying to give a definitive answer. I just saw the players on show and they were giving far better account of themsleves, and expressing themselves creatively, than I think ours would have done against the same opposition.

Unread 11-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Well it's likely there's more to the Beckham thing than meets the eye as it seems he's the owners signing. Plus he wouldn't have started had Motta been fit.
More of a parallel is us "signing" Scholes last winter in a bid to kick start our season. The difference being we needed a 37 year old midfielder; Beckham has hardly played for them.
Far inferior league? Dunno about that, the premier league is full of dross. French is slightly inferior maybe. I don't see enough of it to say for sure but I know ours is £#%&!.
It's all opinions and I'm not trying to give a definitive answer. I just saw the players on show and they were giving far better account of themsleves, and expressing themselves creatively, than I think ours would have done against the same opposition.
The French league has produced the winner of the European Cup once in over 50 attempts and even they were stripped of the title iirc for corruption. No-one can seriously argue that it isn't a second rate competition.

Last night Barcelona were without Macherano, Puyol and Messi and it showed - they were predictable and there for the taking. PSG could have taken them out, but failed. Ibrahimovic was rubbish, Moura looked a player up to a point, Levezzi ran himself into the ground but lacked something... they missed a great opportunity. United may well have missed that opportunity as well, but then most of the doubters expected United to get battered in Madrid too, and we should have won there.

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:27 PM
shenwen

Quote:
but then most of the doubters expected United to get battered in Madrid too, and we should have won there.
Really? You can point to VP's miss but Madrid were the better team.

Unread 11-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Really? You can point to VP's miss but Madrid were the better team.
I can point to a series of chances for Van Persie and a near miss or two for Welbeck as well...

It was a very even game that United should have won based on Van Persie mis-kicking the best chance of the match.
Closed Thread