United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-11-2015, 10:33 AM
saffers

Default United go poppy crazy

Weird how full on this has become now, until the last 4 or 5 years we barely seemed to acknowledge it bar the minutes silence.

Unread 07-11-2015, 10:52 AM
itisme_panaflex

Doesnt seem any different to previous years?

Will be interesting in 10 years or so, how young british muslim players might recieve it.

Unread 07-11-2015, 11:05 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by itisme_panaflex

Will be interesting in 10 years or so, how young british muslim players might recieve it.
Imagine the treatment a boycotter might get
James McLean times a million

Unread 07-11-2015, 11:36 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
Weird how full on this has become now, until the last 4 or 5 years we barely seemed to acknowledge it bar the minutes silence.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/662903574750494720

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/662922153424195584
The promotion and growth of poppymania has coincided with Britain's terror wars in Afghanistan and the middle east and is just part of the propaganda offensive that big business (of which utd and the premier league are no small part of and are particular effective propaganda/conditioning media) are only too happy to aid and abet.

Unread 07-11-2015, 11:37 AM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
Imagine the treatment a boycotter might get
James McLean times a million
I hope our brain dead idiots don't boo McClean today

Unread 07-11-2015, 11:46 AM
saffers

Quote:

Meant United as a club. Think it was around 08/09 we were getting abuse for being one of 2 or 3 clubs who didn't put poppies on their shirts.

RE your 2nd point, that will be very interesting. If a young british muslim did it now it would cause an absolute shitstorm but perhaps in 10 years time the media might change its face as britains face continues to change. Will the likes of the daily mail and express be as openly racist as they are now in 10 years time? The people working at these papers will likely be a lot more diverse too. It amazes me how some people refuse to look at situations from others perspective. The abuse someone like James McClean gets without any consideration for the terror brought upon people he loves by british forces is perplexing.

edit: It was only us and Liverpool in 2009/10 who refused to wear a poppy. The Hodge intervened once he took over in 2010 so United were basically forced into it. Would have been cool if we were the only club in the whole league to not wear a poppy.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ppy-pride.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
The promotion and growth of poppymania has coincided with Britain's terror wars in Afghanistan and the middle east and is just part of the propaganda offensive that big business (of which utd and the premier league are no small part of and are particular effective propaganda/conditioning media) are only too happy to aid and abet.
From the link above:
Quote:
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp said: ‘I’m in favour of everybody wearing poppies. We keep seeing young lads in Afghanistan getting killed. It’s horrific. They are so brave. You look back over the years and the people we’ve lost. I’ll wear the poppy with pride.’
Wonder what young lads he is speaking about. The thousands of afghan kids slaughtered by uk/usa in the last 15 years?

Unread 07-11-2015, 11:57 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Meant United as a club. Think it was around 08/09 we were getting abuse for being one of 2 or 3 clubs who didn't put poppies on their shirts.

RE your 2nd point, that will be very interesting. If a young british muslim did it now it would cause an absolute shitstorm but perhaps in 10 years time the media might change its face as britains face continues to change. Will the likes of the daily mail and express be as openly racist as they are now in 10 years time? The people working at these papers will likely be a lot more diverse too. It amazes me how some people refuse to look at situations from others perspective. The abuse someone like James McClean gets without any consideration for the terror brought upon people he loves by british forces is perplexing.

edit: It was only us and Liverpool in 2009/10 who refused to wear a poppy. The Hodge intervened once he took over in 2010 so United were basically forced into it. Would have been cool if we were the only club in the whole league to not wear a poppy.

Football, as the 'peoples' game, is way too important not to be co opted into the propaganda offensive and utd are way too important to be allowed to swim against the tide and even bring the whole charade into question.

You can guarantee that the Glazers are onside with the US/Anglo terror wars and see it as a patriotic duty to support the indoctrination of the masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
I hope our brain dead idiots don't boo McClean today
I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:04 PM
Bunker Buster

It's armed forces recruitment tbh....

The NFL are under investigation for it at the moment..

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

They go to town big style on this in the NFL. Way way more than anything we do.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Not just NFL

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:14 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:

What's your opinion on that as ex-military? The recruitment bit.

I may be a bit naive or ignorant on this but it seems disgusting to me. Sign up for a war for wut exactly?

Imagine if the ussr expanded into and occupied western europe and then played the victim card once a year for their brave boys? It seems dehumanising for the people who were invaded.
Nothing against the soldiers really. It's more about the war propaganda.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:15 PM
no fun

Quote:

As much as I disagree with it, surely it's up to the organisation what they promote/advertise ?

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:17 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
What's your opinion on that as ex-military? The recruitment bit.

I may be a bit naive or ignorant on this but it seems disgusting to me. Sign up for a war for wut exactly?

Imagine if the ussr expanded into and occupied western europe and then played the victim card once a year for their brave boys? It seems dehumanising for the people who were invaded.
Nothing against the soldiers really. It's more about the war propaganda.
Absolutely disgusting tbh.....

I'm quite possibly the worst example of an ex squaddie mate. Could always flick the switch between work and civilian life. It's caught up with me in other ways, but promoting the chance of death at sporting events is crass and makes my skin crawl.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Different strokes is all, militaristic jingo bullshit is our stock in trade.

Quote:
Absolutely disgusting tbh.....

I'm quite possibly the worst example of an ex squaddie mate. Could always flick the switch between work and civilian life. It's caught up with me in other ways, but promoting the chance of death at sporting events is crass and makes my skin crawl.
Advertising/promotion works, look at the brewers sponsorship of both the Glasgow big firm teams

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:28 PM
saffers

Kramer is United in 2010

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Different strokes is all, militaristic jingo bullshit is our stock in trade.

Advertising/promotion works, look at the brewers sponsorship of both the Glasgow big firm teams
Oh I've no doubt it works, look at the ££££ involved....

Not sure advertising works on me though, literally never bought or joined anything due to advertising. NEVER.

I've looked into and researched products after a catchy advert but never bought anything I'm sold consciously or sub consciously...

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:35 PM
itisme_panaflex

Quote:

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Stakker

Quote:

That they manage to afford to put so many fighter jets flying over stadiums boggles the mind. It costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per hour to keep a jet in the air.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:54 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Should read 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'. Good book about a US army unit getting fawned over by the Dallas Cowboys. Touches on all that mess.

Unread 07-11-2015, 12:55 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Sadly, United are maintaining their stance in defiance of public opinion. Last year, Sir Alex Ferguson’s side faced Chelsea on Remembrance Sunday at Stamford Bridge in poppyless shirts, upsetting Chelsea Pensioners in the stands.

The club refused to discuss the matter last night, but last year said: ‘We are proud of the work we do with the armed forces and we do not feel a poppy on the shirt would add to our contribution. Our staff and officials will be wearing them as usual and we are confident we are doing the right thing.’

Ah back in the ay when United didn't cave in to Twitter opinon (they didn't even have Twitter).
Closed Thread