United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Rhodzy

Thumbs up Ferguson hails Anderson

Quote:
Sir Alex Ferguson is billing Anderson as the world's best young player after watching the Brazilian make Paul Scholes Manchester United's forgotten man.

Anderson, 19, has been in breathtaking form since being given the daunting task of filling in for knee injury victim Scholes at the end of October.
advertisement

Scholes is expected to be out until the new year with the injury, sustained in training ahead of United's Champions League tie at Dynamo Kiev six weeks ago. But Anderson, a £19 million summer signing from Porto, has given United a new dimension, and Ferguson says the youngster is merely justifying the faith United had in signing him.

Ferguson said: "Anderson has been absolutely superb. The boy has definitely got something special. There was an urgency to get him once we'd scouted him, even though he'd broken his leg and had been out for four or five months.

"The reports we were getting were saying that he was the best young player in the world. At the time, I was saying, 'For God's sake, let's calm down a bit here.' I knew he had real potential, but I didn't want to put labels on him like that. But we've been delighted with him and he has proven himself to be a true central midfield player.

"He can tackle, he's lightning quick, he's brave and he can pass the ball. What he's got to prove is his goalscoring ability because that's something that Scholesy has always given us."

Cesc Fabregas has been tipped as a possible Footballer of the Year after inspiring Arsenal to the top of the Premier League, but Ferguson thought Anderson outplayed him in the 2-2 draw at the Emirates last month. "Fabregas is going through a golden period at Arsenal," Ferguson said, "but I thought Anderson dominated that position."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sfnman106.xml

Great to hear

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Not in Cesc's class according to Goonertonian.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:12 AM
MUFC

I wouldn't be surprised if Fergie gives him a 2 week holiday once Scholesy returns in January - similar to what he did with Ronaldo in his 1st season.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Nobody outside of United support ever mentions him. I like that, let him slowly mature. Much like Fibreglass did to be fair to the #@&%!.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:15 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Nobody outside of United support ever mentions him. .
It's funny to read reviews and hear commentary on him, he really hasn't been noticed at all which shows how much the football press and media actually base their opinions on reputation rather than performance.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Baron

Was it the Telegraph that had the article about Fergie being pissed off with his development earlier this season minus any quotes, insight or footballing knowledge?

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
Was it the Telegraph that had the article about Fergie being pissed off with his development earlier this season minus any quotes, insight or footballing knowledge?
Guardian.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
TheNew

To be honest, he's the first name I look for on the teamsheet at the moment.

He's very exciting.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Guardian.
ta, almost kicked off then

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:45 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
To be honest, he's the first name I look for on the teamsheet at the moment.

He's very exciting.
Same here.

It's testament to him the way he has made one of them midfield spot his so early.

Unread 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Same here.

It's testament to him the way he has made one of them midfield spot his so early.
Me too

If him Ronaldo and Rio are playing I don't look far else

Unread 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
utd82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron_van_Marlon
There was this in the Independent

"The negligible impact made by Nani and Anderson will have hurt the most, given that the careful assessment by Ferguson and his scouts of the Portuguese and the Brazilian persuaded the release of a combined £35m in funds last summer.

At 20 and 19 respectively, the pair are hardly finished products, despite their price tags, and Nani looked as likely as anyone to rescue his team. Anderson, however, was largely anonymous. Taken off after 45 minutes of his Premier League debut against Sunderland, there is already a suspicion that he is an expensive mistake."

Unread 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
there is already a suspicion that he is an expensive mistake

This, based on 45 minutes of his Premiership debut after coming back from a long time injury. £#%&!ing hell, how do these clowns get jobs as journalists

Unread 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd82
There was this in the Independent

"The negligible impact made by Nani and Anderson will have hurt the most, given that the careful assessment by Ferguson and his scouts of the Portuguese and the Brazilian persuaded the release of a combined £35m in funds last summer.

At 20 and 19 respectively, the pair are hardly finished products, despite their price tags, and Nani looked as likely as anyone to rescue his team. Anderson, however, was largely anonymous. Taken off after 45 minutes of his Premier League debut against Sunderland, there is already a suspicion that he is an expensive mistake."

What a massive @#%&! that journo must feel now.

Unread 06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
marlo stansfield

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
Same here.

agreed it didnt take him long at all.

i should have took them bets about him after sunderland..

Unread 06-12-2007, 04:32 PM
legendary saf

I don't think I could handle it if he started scoring goals, I already think he's perfect.

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
I don't think I could handle it if he started scoring goals, I already think he's perfect.
That's the gayest football related comment I've ever read.

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:07 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary saf
Isn't this a school night?

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
believe

Quote:
Cesc Fabregas has been tipped as a possible Footballer of the Year after inspiring Arsenal to the top of the Premier League, but Ferguson thought Anderson outplayed him in the 2-2 draw at the Emirates last month. "Fabregas is going through a golden period at Arsenal," Ferguson said, "but I thought Anderson dominated that position."
this is £#%&!ing funny

Unread 06-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Firswood Red

strange to see a Brazilian playing in a short sleeve shirt while a scouse lad wears a long sleeve one and gloves.
Closed Thread