United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 17-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Baron

So Skysports reports Klose could cost up to 15m Euro's & Goal.com report 5 - 7m Euro's

Excellent.

Either way, I'd take him.

Unread 17-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Guiseppe Rossi will make the grade. This is just a simple fact. As is the simple fact that he is better than Berbatov to name but one, though maybe not in the air for obvious reasons. Why people get so obsessed with buying in players is beyond me. We are Manchester United ffs. We have a whole crop of brilliant young players all bursting to make the breakthrough. Hargreaves would be a good addition to add to Gibson (and hopefully Hewson by the end of next season). A fast as £#%&! deadly goal-scorer to back up Rooney and Rossi could only help - how about Campbell or even Brandy? And a right back to back up Simpson. But we have proved that our squad is excellent. And we have proved the flexibility of it as well. With Evans and Cathcart around, plus Neville still more than up to it when fit, that's covered too.
great post.

Unread 17-04-2007, 04:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Guiseppe Rossi will make the grade. This is just a simple fact. As is the simple fact that he is better than Berbatov to name but one, though maybe not in the air for obvious reasons. Why people get so obsessed with buying in players is beyond me. We are Manchester United ffs. We have a whole crop of brilliant young players all bursting to make the breakthrough. Hargreaves would be a good addition to add to Gibson (and hopefully Hewson by the end of next season). A fast as £#%&! deadly goal-scorer to back up Rooney and Rossi could only help - how about Campbell or even Brandy? And a right back to back up Simpson. But we have proved that our squad is excellent. And we have proved the flexibility of it as well. With Evans and Cathcart around, plus Neville still more than up to it when fit, that's covered too.
The likes of Gibson and Campbell (who both turn 20 this year) appear nowhere near the first team. Being at Antwerp for an entire season is always an indication, to me anyway, that they are not developing as quickly as had been hoped. Look at Evans, he went there briefly and was called back to move on to the next stage of his development. The Belgian second division should be too easy for any prospect hoping to make the grade at United, so much so that a year there is almost a waste.

It's hard to judge youth players, but it isn't too hard to get a feel of where the coaching staff feel they are at this moment. While Gibson and Campbell are playing at an awful level in Belgium, there appears to be a real effort being made to move Evans and Cathcart onto the next level. This, to me, is always the best indication of who is likely to make it and who isn't.

I don't think Brandy will make it, either. He's got decent pace and good feet but I don't think he's got enough about him to be good enough for United. It will be interesting to see where Hewson goes from here because he looks to have a good chance. Welbeck looks outstanding for his age, too.

Unread 17-04-2007, 04:33 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gakbu
They were showing a compilation of Quagliarella's goals on Roma TV a couple of nights ago. Looks like they're interested too.
Roma should be looking at defenders.

Unread 17-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Theories of why some players are brought home from Antwerp to go out on loan here, whilst others aren't, need to take into account the player's psychological and physical progression, and also the relationship between United and Antwerp. It is also worth considering that a lot of the loanees have a close bond, as have the current Youth squad. This should not be underestimated in my view. Not seen much at all of Campbell to be fair, except that he is fast and an excellent finisher. I will be astonished if Rossi isn't given the option to return to United. I will be even more astonished if he chooses the path David Jones took and decides to leave.

Overall, my point is that we really do not need to go throwing cash at anything that moves and risk losing the talent we have coming through, talent which even the dumbest fan should be able to see the huge potential of. I would 100% rather have a few of these lads thrown into a United side that has just won the title, than have the likes of Berbatov turning up on the back of one nearly half decent season at Tottenham, for instance. As for Tevez, he just looks thick. It took Rooney the best part of 2 yrs to work out how to play in United's system. £#%&! knows how long it would take Tevez.

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:01 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical
Scholes-esque bit of play from Rossi, that.

*crosses fingers*

*more in hope than expectation*
Isn't that the answer that he's maybe seen as the GP's understudy?

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:04 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Theories of why some players are brought home from Antwerp to go out on loan here, whilst others aren't, need to take into account the player's psychological and physical progression, and also the relationship between United and Antwerp. It is also worth considering that a lot of the loanees have a close bond, as have the current Youth squad. This should not be underestimated in my view. Not seen much at all of Campbell to be fair, except that he is fast and an excellent finisher. I will be astonished if Rossi isn't given the option to return to United. I will be even more astonished if he chooses the path David Jones took and decides to leave.

Overall, my point is that we really do not need to go throwing cash at anything that moves and risk losing the talent we have coming through, talent which even the dumbest fan should be able to see the huge potential of. I would 100% rather have a few of these lads thrown into a United side that has just won the title, than have the likes of Berbatov turning up on the back of one nearly half decent season at Tottenham, for instance. As for Tevez, he just looks thick. It took Rooney the best part of 2 yrs to work out how to play in United's system. £#%&! knows how long it would take Tevez.
Look at the enduring value of the players we brought through our youth system, Giggs, Scholes, Neville, all having very good seasons. That should be an added incentive for giving youngsters a chance.

I still think Jones was left go simply because there's better young players than him around and (like it or not) Ferguson/Queiroz rate Fletcher higher.

Don't think there's any point using that as a sign that the guys currently out on loan haven't a future here.

I think Rossi's a cracking little player and find the idea of him in tandem with Rooney and Ronaldo particularly droolsome. In a little trio behind the main front man. Maybe with Saha so injury prone and Smith probably not quite at their level, there's room for a top class mobile front man to be brought in.

Personally, I'm currently debuting my FM2007 frontline of Messi, Rossi, Rooney and Ronaldo to great effect.

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:07 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Isn't that the answer that he's maybe seen as the GP's understudy?
You go out and find the modern day Roy Keane to do his running for him and I'll accept that one.

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Tumescent Throb

Agreed on Jones. I was just saying he was given the option to leave and chose to take it. He wasn't good enough. Some people have used his departure as evidence of youth not being given its chance, but that clearly isn't true. We have a special group of youngsters at United now rather than just the odd two or three here and there for the first time in over a decade.

It would be interesting to dig up that old thread about how good people wwere making out Arsenal's youth set up is compared to ours from a couple of months back. And how great their scouts and coaches are compared to ours

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:21 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Agreed on Jones. I was just saying he was given the option to leave and chose to take it. He wasn't good enough. Some people have used his departure as evidence of youth not being given its chance, but that clearly isn't true. We have a special group of youngsters at United now rather than just the odd two or three here and there for the first time in over a decade.

It would be interesting to dig up that old thread about how good people wwere making out Arsenal's youth set up is compared to ours from a couple of months back. And how great their scouts and coaches are compared to ours
I think the fact that they're all average to shit blinds people to the fact that we're giving recent youth products a chance.

The concept that sending youngsters out on loan was a money saving one is one I found particularly amusing. Those kids are on a relative pittance. You'd save more money by sending Heinze on loan.

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:22 PM
puressence

im quicker than kloser

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:23 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
im quicker than kloser
So am I.

But I'm quite fast really.

Unread 17-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Rhodzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
I think the fact that they're all average to shit blinds people to the fact that we're giving recent youth products a chance.

The concept that sending youngsters out on loan was a money saving one is one I found particularly amusing. Those kids are on a relative pittance. You'd save more money by sending Heinze on loan.
Exactly
Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
im quicker than kloser
Closed Thread