United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-02-2014, 03:12 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I don't really understand why it should take so long to get a defence organised with the players at your disposal. Injuries and you being mental aside, I mean.

Pulis got a bunch of write-offs much tighter at the back and he did it within weeks. Why should it take a long time? Either you know how to coach a bunch of players to defend, or you don't.

United's defence looks incredibly shaky and yet that was one of the claims when Moyes took over - 'at least he'll get them organised at the back'. Well, he's had months and it's getting worse.
Also explains why he's playing mata at right wing

Unread 11-02-2014, 03:32 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
why are roo banging on about ours as if you have no clue of the issues we've had with selection in defence

the point is that Everton developed a solid defensive foundation under Moyes. If over time Moyes cannot do a similar thing at United he will be finished. If he can, then he will have far better players to take advantage of that - meaning that if he can't then get the attackers playing well and get results he will be finished. He will have had a fair chance to make his mark and will have failed.

At the moment he has been trying to rejig the defence, but has had no chance to bed in a unit. People would do well to remember that Ferguson had similar issues last season but had RvP sticking the ball in the net at the other end. Moyes has rarely had the same luxury, with RvP initially appearing underwhelmed and subsequently being out injured. He has come back into a side with low confidence and scored in 3 straight games. If that continues then the season will start to pick up pretty quickly imo. It won't repair the damage done obviously, but it is crucial nonetheless.

Assuming he's still in the job, United need a clear picture of who Moyes intends to use in his defence next season and get any targets they have into the club early so that they're ready to go immediately the world cup holiday ends and pre-season proper starts.
Moyes is going to need a lot more than just keeping van Persie fit and scoring to salvage anything from this season. The fact is we're playing awfully and the whole squad have dropped a level. Is this really likely to be offset by van Persie staying fit, even though he's played and scored in the last two games yet we've still looked awful, not won and he's continued to look pissed off?

RvP, Rooney and Mata being available should not just lead to slight improvement. It should see us finishing a minimum of 5th. But I suspect the improvement, minimal as it will be, will be enough to keep Moyes in excuses long enough for him to be here to £#%&! up next season, too.

Unread 11-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
I don't really understand why it should take so long to get a defence organised with the players at your disposal. Injuries and you being mental aside, I mean.

Pulis got a bunch of write-offs much tighter at the back and he did it within weeks. Why should it take a long time? Either you know how to coach a bunch of players to defend, or you don't.

United's defence looks incredibly shaky and yet that was one of the claims when Moyes took over - 'at least he'll get them organised at the back'. Well, he's had months and it's getting worse.
i think you being mental is your issue, in fairness.

that said, i would have thought you've been watching football far too long to be as stupid as you seem to like to pretend. there is no set time for how long it takes to bed in a defence, obviously. and especially given that injuries are clearly exacerbating that already problematic process that requires current key players be replaced sooner rather than later.

Unread 11-02-2014, 03:54 PM
jaybrightonboy

Just seen moyes press confrence he still thinks were doing all the right things and like how every 1 keeps telling him were playing very well. :loco: Tell me to fxxx off all you like we need a new manager soon as pos

Unread 11-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Moyes is going to need a lot more than just keeping van Persie fit and scoring to salvage anything from this season. The fact is we're playing awfully and the whole squad have dropped a level. Is this really likely to be offset by van Persie staying fit, even though he's played and scored in the last two games yet we've still looked awful, not won and he's continued to look pissed off?

RvP, Rooney and Mata being available should not just lead to slight improvement. It should see us finishing a minimum of 5th. But I suspect the improvement, minimal as it will be, will be enough to keep Moyes in excuses long enough for him to be here to £#%&! up next season, too.
neither of us know.

if he keeps scoring i think it will boost everyone's confidence and change the bigger picture. you think it won't.

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM
KenwrightsWallet

Quote:
why are roo banging on about ours as if you have no clue of the issues we've had with selection in defence

the point is that Everton developed a solid defensive foundation under Moyes. If over time Moyes cannot do a similar thing at United he will be finished. If he can, then he will have far better players to take advantage of that - meaning that if he can't then get the attackers playing well and get results he will be finished. He will have had a fair chance to make his mark and will have failed.

At the moment he has been trying to rejig the defence, but has had no chance to bed in a unit. People would do well to remember that Ferguson had similar issues last season but had RvP sticking the ball in the net at the other end. Moyes has rarely had the same luxury, with RvP initially appearing underwhelmed and subsequently being out injured. He has come back into a side with low confidence and scored in 3 straight games. If that continues then the season will start to pick up pretty quickly imo. It won't repair the damage done obviously, but it is crucial nonetheless.

Assuming he's still in the job, United need a clear picture of who Moyes intends to use in his defence next season and get any targets they have into the club early so that they're ready to go immediately the world cup holiday ends and pre-season proper starts.
0 clean sheets in 18 last season

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
neither of us know.

if he keeps scoring i think it will boost everyone's confidence and change the bigger picture. you think it won't.
I think the team winning and playing well would have a much bigger impact on everyone's confidence than whether Van Persie scores or not which he is doing anyway

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:13 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
I think the team winning and playing well would have a much bigger impact on everyone's confidence than whether Van Persie scores or not which he is doing anyway
Worked last year

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwrightsWallet
0 clean sheets in 18 last season
and?

i didn't say anything about clean sheets btw, but no-one could deny that Everton grew stale under Moyes, particularly towards the end.

but then no Everton fan who has thought about it, used their noddle and is being honest would deny either that Moyes could have and should have £#%&!ed Everton off sooner. he worked wonders for that club for much of his time there. they might have benefited from the change a season earlier. but he definitely would have. you think kenwright will fund martinez to take the next step after competing again for 4th place as they normally do anyway? so far they've sold fellaini and replaced him with mcarthy and some loan signings as far as i can see. not that mcarthy is a bad player btw, he should have been coming to united last summer, but as i said at the time, everton got the better of united in the summer back-scratching that allowed them to get their man.

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:18 PM
S/Side.Red

Thumbs up

Quote:
neither of us know.

They were buzzing at Stoke after he scored, iirc.

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:19 PM
KenwrightsWallet

Quote:
and?

i didn't say anything about clean sheets btw, but no-one could deny that Everton grew stale under Moyes, particularly towards the end.

but then no Everton fan who has thought about it, used their noddle and is being honest would deny either that Moyes could have and should have £#%&!ed Everton off sooner. he worked wonders for that club for much of his time there. they might have benefited from the change a season earlier. but he definitely would have. you think kenwright will fund martinez to take the next step after competing again for 4th place as they normally do anyway? so far they've sold fellaini and replaced him with mcarthy and some loan signings as far as i can see.
Can't argue with any of that

Moyes should have left Everton a few seasons back, Funny thing is nobody ever made a solid approach for him

As for Martinez receiving funds well everyone knows the answer to that one

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:21 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenwrightsWallet
Can't argue with any of that

Moyes should have left Everton a few seasons back, Funny thing is nobody ever made a solid approach for him

As for Martinez receiving funds well everyone knows the answer to that one
He received funds because Moyes gave him loads of money for that £#%&!ing clownheaded @#%&!. They're paying Lukaku and Barry's exorbitant wages.

Moyes should go back to League One, he was grand in that division.

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
i think one will lead to the other is the point, obviously

glad you agree anyway. where glad is a conceit to pretend that i give a shit

Unread 11-02-2014, 04:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
and?

but then no Everton fan who has thought about it, used their noddle and is being honest would deny either that Moyes could have and should have £#%&!ed Everton off sooner. he worked wonders for that club for much of his time there. they might have benefited from the change a season earlier. but he definitely would have. you think kenwright will fund martinez to take the next step after competing again for 4th place as they normally do anyway? so far they've sold fellaini and replaced him with mcarthy and some loan signings as far as i can see. not that mcarthy is a bad player btw, he should have been coming to united last summer, but as i said at the time, everton got the better of united in the summer back-scratching that allowed them to get their man.
They don't really, though.

Gap between Everton and 4th in the last eight seasons since they did finish top four.

17pts
10pts
11pts
9pts
9pts
14pts
13pts
10pts

That's hardly the same as Martinez actually having Everton in 4th place atm, is it?

Unread 11-02-2014, 06:20 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
He received funds because Moyes gave him loads of money for that £#%&!ing clownheaded @#%&!. They're paying Lukaku and Barry's exorbitant wages.

Moyes should go back to League One, he was grand in that division.
winning shit and all sorts. He is the personification of the Peter Principle.

Unread 11-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

That's hardly the same as Martinez actually having Everton in 4th place atm, is it?
der
Closed Thread