United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2010, 08:57 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Default Re: I've been volunteered to help coach my son's football team

You haven't got a clue what you've let yourself in for.

Just keep it really simple, we usually start with some passing, have 2 lads 10 yards apart and get them to pass to each other, control and pass.

We would then line then up into 2 lines, say 10 lads each.
Line one is attackers and they are 2 yards ahead of the other line (defenders)
Attacker runs with the ball and tries to score (with a keeper) before the defender can get back.

I generally just let them play and give them specific positions.
Usually a Goalie, Defender, 2 midfielders and a forward.
If they are all running at the ball (which tbf they dont anymore) I will tell them to stop and freeze and ask little johnny who is on the right wing and should be in defence where he should be.

We also have a few little competitions:
Throw ins - who can throw the longest, its amazing how many kids cant take a throw in
Penalties - Kids love it but you will have some tears

Good luck

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:03 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
You haven't got a clue what you've let yourself in for.

Just keep it really simple, we usually start with some passing, have 2 lads 10 yards apart and get them to pass to each other, control and pass.

We would then line then up into 2 lines, say 10 lads each.
Line one is attackers and they are 2 yards ahead of the other line (defenders)
Attacker runs with the ball and tries to score (with a keeper) before the defender can get back.

I generally just let them play and give them specific positions.
Usually a Goalie, Defender, 2 midfielders and a forward.
If they are all running at the ball (which tbf they dont anymore) I will tell them to stop and freeze and ask little johnny who is on the right wing and should be in defence where he should be.

We also have a few little competitions:
Throw ins - who can throw the longest, its amazing how many kids cant take a throw in
Penalties - Kids love it but you will have some tears

Good luck
It's going to be interesting. Cheers mate

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Try to get one of the young lads on your side. Hand him off a tenner or a bucket of Ritilin or whatever the little uns are into these days. Convince him to subtly spread a sense of fear around the dressing room that you're not above aggressive one on one horse play. The kids will be shitting themselves that you'll take em off in your van. Wear a vest. Kids know what that implies.

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:33 PM
carlosartorial

Trial and error. See what they enjoy and what they respond to.

Good one I do is give then a ball each and set them off dribbling, slowly and using bit feet. Shout out 'foot' and they have to stop the ball with their foot on the ball. Continue using various other commands 'other foot', 'knee', 'head' and 'bum' (meaning they sit on the ball). You can slowly get them to speed up and constantly praise and get them to use both feet.

Other tip is get a whistle. They really respond to it and it stops you having to repeat every single instruction 47 times.

Plenty of ball work in twos and threes, practising penalties is good but they get bored and distracted waiting their turn. Keep games limited to 6 a side tops, mix it up by saying '3 touches only' before you have to pass.

Constantly offer praise and encouragement - emphasise staying in position, passing and teamwork.

Simple really.

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:37 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Trial and error. See what they enjoy and what they respond to.

Good one I do is give then a ball each and set them off dribbling, slowly and using bit feet. Shout out 'foot' and they have to stop the ball with their foot on the ball. Continue using various other commands 'other foot', 'knee', 'head' and 'bum' (meaning they sit on the ball). You can slowly get them to speed up and constantly praise and get them to use both feet.

Other tip is get a whistle. They really respond to it and it stops you having to repeat every single instruction 47 times.

Plenty of ball work in twos and threes, practising penalties is good but they get bored and distracted waiting their turn. Keep games limited to 6 a side tops, mix it up by saying '3 touches only' before you have to pass.

Constantly offer praise and encouragement - emphasise staying in position, passing and teamwork.

Simple really.
a whistle eh? they teach you that at the FA?

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:37 PM
carlosartorial

http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/#

Some good stuff on here.

Unread 26-08-2010, 12:39 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginners
a whistle eh? they teach you that at the FA?
Sussed that one out myself.

Unread 26-08-2010, 01:49 PM
no fun

Quote:
Continue using various other commands 'other foot', 'knee', 'head' and 'bum'
oh

my

god

Unread 26-08-2010, 01:58 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
oh

my

god
Says more about you reading that and thinking that tbh.

You dirty old man.

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:02 PM
no fun

Quote:
Says more about you reading that and thinking that tbh.

You dirty old man.

http://www.football.winteringham.inf...ion_Policy.pdf

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:06 PM
carlosartorial

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Ginners

no funs had a mare here

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:08 PM
no fun

Quote:
no funs had a mare here
ginners, I could run rings round you on this one, dont go there

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Ginners

Quote:
ginners, I could run rings round you on this one, dont go there
doubt it old man

think you owe carlo an apology

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:13 PM
no fun

Quote:
doubt it old man

think you owe carlo an apology
ok then ginners let me explain

a parent becomes upset that little tristram hasnt been picked to play centre forward

that parent then decides to stitch up the coach

they deliberately misconstrue the "bum" instruction, and make a complaint to the local FA

ridiculous I know, but mud sticks, and that coaches registration details then have a complaint (albeit unfounded) against them

not my personal experience, but those that know me will confirm I might know a little bit more about these things than you

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Ginners

Quote:

a parent becomes upset that little tristram hasnt been picked to play centre forward

they deliberately misconstrue the "bum" instruction, and make a complaint to the local FA

ridiculous I know, but mud sticks, and that coaches registration details then have a complaint (albeit unfounded) against them

not my personal experience, but those that know me will confirm I might know a little bit more about these things than you
apology accepted on his behalf

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:17 PM
no fun

Quote:
apology accepted on his behalf
you're a strange one

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:21 PM
redhegemony

Such shit advice from a football forum says it all. All a bit cart before horse when attire not even mentioned.

1. Boots: don't get down with the kids with yellows and oranges you need a classic clean black Adidas.

2. Socks half way up shin with short shinners showing.

3. Shorts with initials most crucial (coach is bearable).

4. Training top with initals see above.

crucially 2,3 &4 need to be of higher quality than the kids kit marking you out as the man.

However if you really want the team to go places this is the look and attitude to cultivate

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:27 PM
redhegemony

Quote:

Unread 26-08-2010, 02:47 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Such shit advice from a football forum says it all. All a bit cart before horse when attire not even mentioned.

1. Boots: don't get down with the kids with yellows and oranges you need a classic clean black Adidas.

2. Socks half way up shin with short shinners showing.

3. Shorts with initials most crucial (coach is bearable).

4. Training top with initals see above.

crucially 2,3 &4 need to be of higher quality than the kids kit marking you out as the man.

However if you really want the team to go places this is the look and attitude to cultivate

I've got that look sorted already
Closed Thread