United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:38 PM
naes_sean

Exclamation I've been volunteered to help coach my son's football team

by the wife.

Went and tool my lad to his first football training session last night. The coach has no £#%&!ing clue and the wife volunteered me to assist him and the coach is all excited to have an "English" person to help him.

It's a 6 year old team and I know £#%&! all about how to coach them. They are all just chasing after the ball kicking shit out of each other.

Anyways, can anyone provide me with some training material for 6 year olds? I know there was a thread on here a few months back about this but I can't find it.

cheers.

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:42 PM
no fun

Default Re: I've been volunteered to help coach my son's football team

awaits carlo and ssg

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:43 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

wing it; can't produce worse than the last 25 years

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:43 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
by the wife.

Went and tool my lad to his first football training session last night. The coach has no £#%&!ing clue and the wife volunteered me to assist him and the coach is all excited to have an "English" person to help him.

It's a 6 year old team and I know £#%&! all about how to coach them. They are all just chasing after the ball kicking shit out of each other.

Anyways, can anyone provide me with some training material for 6 year olds? I know there was a thread on here a few months back about this but I can't find it.

cheers.
I would say ask Carlo, but by the sounds of it he's already got a dressing room uprising on his hands, so maybe not

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:46 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by naes_sean
by the wife.

Sounds like they're already playing the English way so.

Unread 25-08-2010, 02:53 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
wing it; can't produce worse than the last 25 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Sounds like they're already playing the English way so.

Unread 25-08-2010, 03:47 PM
irk

Shuttle runs until they drop. Don't even let them see a ball until they've got lungs like Zeppelins.

It was by such coaching methods that I achieved all that I did in the game.

Unread 25-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Grimson

6-year-olds are going to ignore most coaching anyway. Best thing you can do is try to get them to understand the concept of positions, and not to swarm around the ball.

On a slightly related note, I believe our shared language is why the US will never be a true world power in football. If we were a Spanish-speaking country, we would be.

Unread 25-08-2010, 06:25 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

On a slightly related note, I believe our shared language is why the US will never be a true world power in football. If we were a Spanish-speaking country, we would be.
Yeah because you'd all be unemployed and have nothing better to do.

Unread 25-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Yeah because you'd all be unemployed and have nothing better to do.
Zing! With bonus racism.

Unread 25-08-2010, 06:58 PM
believe

What a tool

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:35 PM
naes_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
What a tool
bit harsh on Grimson that.

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Adz

Get them doing coerver coaching.

You want them to be comfortable on the ball at any early age so get small sided games going where you encourage every kid to have a few touches and take people on (even in their own third etc).

Once there comfortable with the ball all the other aspects like positioning can be introduced.

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Argentina

They're U6 or U7? I take it they play 5v5 without a goalkeeper and no offside?

The big thing is to get them dribbling, and competent at doing moves/fakes/tricks to beat an opponent (Stepovers/fake-take/circle-takes and scissors/cruyff turns/Maradona turn). Teaching a kid to pass is the easiest thing in the world, trying to get a kid to be confident and competent at dribbling past opponents is so difficult. You have to teach it from an early age.

First 10 minutes get them juggling. At that age they will only be able to do 1 or 2. Teach them to lock the ankle, point their toe out and snap from the knee with their eye on the ball, just juggling the ball back into their hands. If they can do that competently, juggle twice or 3 times. If they can do that, go right-left-right.

If they're crap, things like British bulldog, or Crabs on the Beach for dribbling past people and, for the match environment, the Numbers Game (where you have 2 teams on each sideline and call a number(s) out. That/those number/(s) from each team run down the sideline, through the goal and compete against each other to score in the opposite goal).

Big thing for kids that age is to make it fun -no 'drills', or long lines. You want a ball for themselves for as long as possible, or at least between 2. And if you've got boys, do things to points, scores and winners because they'll compete against each other and improve each other that way.

If you want a website with material and a username and p/w for such things let me know

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Mr_Ed

I watched my six year old lad get some coaching for a local team recently....

The general sessions revolved around the concept of space (i.e. not all running after the ball) and passing to one another.

That's as much as I saw until my boy decided he didn't want to go again and, for the first time in his life, he left me feeling a bit disappointed.

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:55 PM
HarkNowHear

Let them enjoy it at that age. Try and get the basics in.

Unread 25-08-2010, 08:57 PM
taff

if i were you i'd probably play an adapted verrou system, three across the back with adam dropped in behind as a sweeper, then josh in front in the holding position and jordan and michael in the carrilero roles, with at least one working box-to-box to support the forward line. play jason as the ponta da lança to create for alfie up front as the target man, with tom dropping off as necessary.

that shouldn't be too difficult for the little @#%&!s.

Unread 25-08-2010, 09:08 PM
n48

Best thing you can do is chuck the ball away and concentrate on each player's positional awareness and their formation. Give each player a detailed written description of what their position demands and detailed diagrams of set pieces. Make them play entire practice games without a ball and focusing on their formation. Remember to pause these games and explain to those out of position what they should be doing. Only when they've mastered a water tight defence and the effective transition to attack can you then introduce a ball.

Unread 25-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Best thing you can do is chuck the ball away and concentrate on each player's positional awareness and their formation. Give each player a detailed written description of what their position demands and detailed diagrams of set pieces. Make them play entire practice games without a ball and focusing on their formation. Remember to pause these games and explain to those out of position what they should be doing. Only when they've mastered a water tight defence and the effective transition to attack can you then introduce a ball.

Unread 25-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Harfynn Teuport

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
if i were you i'd probably play an adapted verrou system, three across the back with adam dropped in behind as a sweeper, then josh in front in the holding position and jordan and michael in the carrilero roles, with at least one working box-to-box to support the forward line. play jason as the ponta da lança to create for alfie up front as the target man, with tom dropping off as necessary.

that shouldn't be too difficult for the little @#%&!s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n48
Closed Thread