United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Darth Vidic

Default Berbatov 2010/2011

He's made a decent start to the season. Seems to be working harder and looking to take more responsibility.

Has anyone else noticed though a reluctance to pass it to Chicharito when he's free in the box?

He has a magnificent touch, and the ball sticks to him like glue in the box. I've noticed in the last two games that when he's in those positions, if he just lays the ball off (and Chicharito has been in good positions to receive it a lot of the time) then its a certain goal. But instead he hangs on to it and tries to score himself.

Not sure if he's being more selfish because he's been told to be or because he sees Chicharito as a rival for his spot in the team.

It really is a great ability he has to be able to shield the ball like that in the box; I'd rather he'd look to lay it off to someone who's free or in a good position than try and score though because he invariably doesn't.

Unread 23-08-2010, 02:48 PM
MJ Ramone

Default Re: Berbatov 2010/2011

This is his season to prove himself nqat.
No more excuses.

Yes, we may well get half a dozen 'picture book' goals a season (usually at Old Trafford) but this is a £30mill striker we're talking about, not a 'gamble' like Diouf or the tramp...not a youngster like Macheda.

I want him to take a match (like the one yesterday) by the scruff of the neck & win it on his own for us.
I want a big European goal at the very least ...a winner in the derby or against the scousers etc..

When he starts doing the business on the pitch I'll be won over. Until then the jury is still out for me.

Unread 23-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
He's made a decent start to the season. Seems to be working harder and looking to take more responsibility.

Has anyone else noticed though a reluctance to pass it to Chicharito when he's free in the box?

He has a magnificent touch, and the ball sticks to him like glue in the box. I've noticed in the last two games that when he's in those positions, if he just lays the ball off (and Chicharito has been in good positions to receive it a lot of the time) then its a certain goal. But instead he hangs on to it and tries to score himself.

Not sure if he's being more selfish because he's been told to be or because he sees Chicharito as a rival for his spot in the team.

It really is a great ability he has to be able to shield the ball like that in the box; I'd rather he'd look to lay it off to someone who's free or in a good position than try and score though because he invariably doesn't.
Berbatov passes too much in the box. This season i've noticed him actually taking on more shots. I suspect at the request of management. He needs to start taking shots on earlier though, he usually has a touch too many.

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:01 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Berbatov passes too much in the box. This season i've noticed him actually taking on more shots. I suspect at the request of management. He needs to start taking shots on earlier though, he usually has a touch too many.
True and the same can be said of the team in general, always looking for an extra pass, rather than looking to be more ruthless in and around the box.

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:10 PM
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
True and the same can be said of the team in general, always looking for an extra pass, rather than looking to be more ruthless in and around the box.
Agree with that. Sometimes I get the feeling that they're afraid to try take a
shot

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:28 PM
teflon_terry

He is an 'Arsenal' player IMO

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:31 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
'This Season' 2 games and the Charity Shield, I'll make a proper assessment after 10 games in terms of proper performance of players/the team until then it's just getting In to our stride and all the stop start shite cos of internationals. Nice that the usual suspects are writing us off as they have done in the last four seasons, 3 if which they were just £#%&!ing wrong and last season if it wasn't for the Xmas defence crisis would have been completely wrong.
Ridiculous isn't it.

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Crumps

'This Season' 2 games and the Charity Shield, I'll make a proper assessment after 10 games in terms of proper performance of players/the team until then it's just getting In to our stride and all the stop start shite cos of internationals. Nice that the usual suspects are writing us off as they have done in the last four seasons, 3 if which they were just £#%&!ing wrong and last season if it wasn't for the Xmas defence crisis would have been completely wrong.

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:32 PM
marlo

new berbatov.

its the same old one for me.

missing easy chances, not turning a half chance into a goal like most top strikers and going missing when the going get tough.

he dissapeared as usual when we needed him most yesterday. didnt manage a shot on goal in the 2nd half and dhould have taken the penalty at 2-1

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Ridiculous isn't it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:55 PM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAFU
Agree with that. Sometimes I get the feeling that they're afraid to try take a
shot
Frustrating sometimes.

Utd play some lovely one touch stuff at times and yesterday was no different.

But once they get in the box, instead of working the keeper, they are looking for that extra pass all the time.

I'd like to see them be more ruthless, like Utd teams of old.

Unread 23-08-2010, 03:56 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Wtf??

Unread 23-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Wtf??
Maybe Dunk is on holiday where they're two hours ahead?

Unread 23-08-2010, 04:02 PM
dunk

What can I say, I can just predict what Crumps is going to post.

I'm special

Unread 23-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Darth Vidic

So as to my original question - I take that it's a resounding no then?

We shall see.

Unread 23-08-2010, 10:06 PM
The Watcher

Exclamation Re: Berbatov 2010/2011

I can see this being about as successful as last seasons Berbatov thread. Starts with optimistic expectation that this will be "his season", soon there will be posts from fredsters trying to convince themselves he's playing well, the odd goal against relegation fodder will inspire outbursts of "World Class" and marlo's parentage will be questioned regularly. But eventually (around March) it'll end in bitter recriminations as another ineffective season from Berba draws to a close with only Throb left to post nonsensical replies full of meaningless stats.

Repeat in 2011/12

Unread 23-08-2010, 10:13 PM
MJ Ramone

I think that's a nail on the head job Watcher tbh.

Unread 23-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
I think that's a nail on the head job Watcher tbh.
arse. get out of. his.

Unread 23-08-2010, 10:16 PM
The Mull

Not even had a drink, how the flippin flippery did he quote before.......oh never mind

Unread 23-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Whalefish

Thumbs up Re: Berbatov 2010/2011

Lets hope so. Exciting times.
Closed Thread