United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-05-2017, 11:09 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
That he was coming back, or that he'd snuffed it?
He is 75 now, inevitably people may think the worst when his name is mentioned out of the blue.

I am going to cry when he passes away, there is very little doubt about that

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:12 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Glazers tightening the purse strings and believing/depending too much in Feries genius.
Still doesn't fully explain it given players like Vidal were transferred for relative peanuts. Relying on favoured agents in preference to scouting networks would be the other piece of the puzzle I'd imagine.

I think united's scout in Holland didn't even have buttner in the top 4 fullbacks he'd scouted. Add in the insistence that prospective signings had to dump their agents and switch to mendes.

Unread 09-05-2017, 01:19 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

Nice hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
He is 75 now, inevitably people may think the worst when his name is mentioned out of the blue.

I am going to cry when he passes away, there is very little doubt about that

Unread 09-05-2017, 05:00 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

some of his backroom antics were outrageous and stink of greed and self aggrandisement. had it from a good source that he tried to blackmail Wes Brown to sign on with his son as his agent, what kind of £#%&!ing around is that?

Unread 09-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
some of his backroom antics were outrageous and stink of greed and self aggrandisement. had it from a good source that he tried to blackmail Wes Brown to sign on with his son as his agent, what kind of £#%&!ing around is that?
There was a lot of pressure put on Wez in the early days to remove him from his peer group when he was a lad. Lads I know knock about with one of Wez's best and oldest friends who owns a few shops near us and out of all the stories I've heard there's nowt like that.

Unread 09-05-2017, 05:19 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
There was a lot of pressure put on Wez in the early days to remove him from his peer group when he was a lad. Lads I know knock about with one of Wez's best and oldest friends who owns a few shops near us and out of all the stories I've heard there's nowt like that.
I'm longsight massive and it's what I was told and seemingly came from the horses....

Unread 09-05-2017, 05:24 AM
Crumps

Quote:
I'm longsight massive and it's what I was told and seemingly came from the horses....
Would says yours is more reliable. One thing with agents is that unless the club has some kind of relationship with em it can end up costing you £90 Million.

Unread 09-05-2017, 05:32 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Would says yours is more reliable. One thing with agents is that unless the club has some kind of relationship with em it can end up costing you £90 Million.
it just sounded a @#%&!s trick on the back of the pressure you mentioned, from what I know Wes was nothing other then a total pro.

Unread 09-05-2017, 07:16 AM
Knockers

Quote:
My wife reckons she snogged Wes when she was 19 in Royales, as her mate was getting off with his brother Clive by the little window on the top floor where they used to do hot dogs. I've deliberately never delved further into the story.

Unread 09-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Mr_Ed

Rock.of.gibraltar.

Great man but that tainted his legacy ever so slightly... we all know what happened next.

Unread 09-05-2017, 07:23 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Rock.of.gibraltar.

Great man but that tainted his legacy ever so slightly... we all know what happened next.
He used the value in the market to assemble a league and european cup winning squad

Unread 09-05-2017, 08:30 AM
gav81

What I'd give for a young Irish Fergie...

Unread 09-05-2017, 09:01 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81

Unread 09-05-2017, 09:05 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
My wife reckons she snogged Wes when she was 19 in Royales, as her mate was getting off with his brother Clive by the little window on the top floor where they used to do hot dogs. I've deliberately never delved further into the story.
In case the story is Wesley himself was delving quite deep? A wise choice.

He probably browned her.

Unread 09-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Knockers

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
In case the story is Wesley himself was delving quite deep? A wise choice.

He probably browned her.
Course he bloody did, the dirty ticket. I got stiffed with the motherhood and moaning years.

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
it just sounded a c***s trick on the back of the pressure you mentioned, from what I know Wes was nothing other then a total pro.
Did it with all the youth players didn't he? Heard quite a few moaning how they were freezed out when they refused. Wes brown is always the go to example people use to prove fergie wouldn't be so bullying or vindictive.

Always remember that story about him withdrawing loan players from a club when they sacked his son. Clearly no interest in the player's interests, either in his decision to loan them or recall them.

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:15 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Always remember that story about him withdrawing loan players from a club when they sacked his son. Clearly no interest in the player's interests, either in his decision to loan them or recall them.
Preston? The loans only had another week to run and one of the lads (James) was long term injured. The other one was Josh King and he's turned out okay, solid premier league pro.

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by gav81
Ferguson was 46 and the best manager in Britain when we hired him.

There's no one on this forum who wouldn't love Keane to prove himself the best manager in Britain and then take the United job.

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:43 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Rock.of.gibraltar.

IMUSA publicly announced they'd almost got financing in place tp purchase a 25% blocking share and all the institutional investors panicked and sold out to the Glazers?

Unread 09-05-2017, 12:46 PM
gav81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Ferguson was 46 and the best manager in Britain when we hired him.

There's no one on this forum who wouldn't love Keane to prove himself the best manager in Britain and then take the United job.
On what basis was Fergie the best manager in Britain?

Martin Edwards told the story of how Fergie was hired and explained why United didn't go for more successful managers of the time like Clough (with his English league title and two European Cups) or Kendall (with his multiple English league titles, FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup)

“When we actually met him (Ferguson) and realised what a firebrand he was and saw the way he conducted himself, that really just confirmed how impressive he was.”

It wasn’t Ferguson’s lesser trophy list that sealed the deal, but his "firebrand" character. It's time we hired the next ‘firebrand’ in the image of Fergie.
Closed Thread