United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:31 PM
safingtons

Default Re: Fergie retiring next month, Jose lined up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
£#%&! KFC hasnt announced this to the forum this yet so I'm not sold.
Until he mentions it I won't rule out the possibility of this being true.

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
Out of order.

Kev is the forumista who has his ear to his arse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
Until he mentions it I won't rule out the possibility of this being true.

You two are comedy gold

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:35 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
hopefully just the usual paper bullshit
Who is your replacement of choice? Aren't you a Larry White advocate? Or is that Antonin?

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:36 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Who is your replacement of choice? Aren't you a Larry White advocate? Or is that Antonin?
Borsuk is still on his Paul Jewell bandwagon.

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
McClaren

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:39 PM
MJ Ramone

Mourinho's the only one with a strong enough charector to handle it.
Can't think of a single other manager who I'd pick ahead of him to manage United once the Wizard calls it a day.

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:40 PM
borsuk

Quote:
fergie seems as up for it as he ever has been. i want fergie for three more years and then we'll see who's made a name for himself.

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:41 PM
dunk

75 is the new 65 imo.

Unread 19-04-2010, 02:41 PM
safingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Mourinho's the only one with a strong enough charector to handle it.
Can't think of a single other manager who I'd pick ahead of him to manage United once the Wizard calls it a day.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:23 PM
borsuk

btw, if fergie called it a day tomorrow i'd want moyes in. the closest thing to a young ferguson imo in temperament, approach and philosophy.

something that seems to be overlooked in these discussions is the fact that the next manager of united, if fergie steps down (or up) in the next two years, is likely to have to handle the task of replacing the elder statesmen of the side: neville, scholes, giggs, vds, perhaps rio. replacing scholes and giggs especially, and setting up the side without these two, is going to be a hell of a task. if somebody like mourinho handles that task then, looking at his past history, we're likely to replace them with foreign players at their peak - 28/29 year-olds. that kind of approach will fundamentally change the character of the side.

no doubt tools like leg saf and rafabio would £#%&! themselves into oblivion at the prospect of a load of portuguese and italian names coming in. personally, i would far rather see somebody like moyes - who has a fabulous record of spotting talent in the transfer market and of bringing through young players - continue the approach that has brought us so much success and given our club a unique reputation and character: a british/irish spine, a heavy emphasis on youth and a hard as nails edge to the side when needed.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Sparky***

I'd hate to see our youth system neglected. Mourinho doesn't have the best track record of bringing through young players.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:30 PM
borsuk

btw, moyes was sitting with phelan at the wigan - arsenal game the other day. small world, eh

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I'd hate to see our youth system neglected. Mourinho doesn't have the best track record of bringing through young players.
Are you forgetting Scott Sinclair, the next next theo Walcott?

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:36 PM
MJ Ramone

Fair point about the Youth system & the importance of British players at Manchester United.
I've said on here loads of times how key I think that is to United's success down the years.
I'd absolutely hate the Club to be filled with show-pony Eurostars at the expense of British footballers.

I'd like to think Mourinho is bright enough to appreciate this though. Fergie would certainly make him aware of this in no uncertain terms.

Moyes is a decent manager & he seems alright in general, but I can't see him being up to managing United. It's a huge ask to expect him to start dealing with the demands. Not only do we HAVE to win EVERY game we play in England...but we also have to win the European Cup every year too.

I'm sure Fergie will have a huge say in who takes over from him. I'd be surprised if Mourinho wasn't top of his list.
Have to see what happens.

In an ideal world Fergie will go on forever.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
Fair point about the Youth system & the importance of British players at Manchester United.
I've said on here loads of times how key I think that is to United's success down the years.
I'd absolutely hate the Club to be filled with show-pony Eurostars at the expense of British footballers.

I'd like to think Mourinho is bright enough to appreciate this though. Fergie would certainly make him aware of this in no uncertain terms.
This, although going off this forum, it makes little difference to the fans.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Albert Tatlock

McClaren

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:43 PM
Sullingtons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
McClaren
Can imagine him turning up to training like this:

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:44 PM
dunk

By the time Fergie retires in 3-5 years, with the financial situation at the club sorted, and further European and League experience under his belt, Moyes could well be the one.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:48 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
on what are you basing this?

He hasn't spent anywhere close to that either at porto or at inter.
Well of course he has. At Inter he was lucky enough to flog bignose for a ridiculous sum so that's brought the nett figure down. I'd be surprised if the figure isn't still close to £50 million even after that.
So I suppose if he turned up, sold Rooney and used the funds for some players then that would be a fair comparison. Great, hope you'll be happy with that.

You've conveniently left out Chelsea I see.

Yes he didn't spend that much at Porto, his first job. Things have changed a bit since then

If you think he'd be happy coming here, horse trading and signing over the hill strikers on a free then you're welcome to live that with that delusion. I'll stick with my own version of though . Ta.

Unread 19-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Barracuda

The debt means we basically have to be successful in order to keep being able to pay it - which means we need a manager who almost guarantees he can keep the Club at the same level that SAF can.

Like him or not but Mourinho is the nearest thing to a guarantee that the gimps could get. They don't give a flying £#%&! if his football is pretty, they just need someone who gets the job done by any methods necessary - and in fairness Mourinho does get results.

Plus, he is possibly the one and only person who could make us even more unpopular with the ABU nation than we already are - he can wind up with the best of them.

End of next season is going to be interesting that's for sure - maybe SAF but probably Giggs, Scholes, Eddie VDS and Neville departing as well.
Closed Thread