United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-04-2010, 05:03 AM
Grimson

Default Re: what the £#%&! are we signing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafabio
They will have a few anyways because they are in £#%&!ing england. its like saying since we have had a few irish players always in our squad, to win the premier league you 'need' to have irish players.
Having British players DOES matter. Just as continental/South Americans tend to have better touch/control and vision, British players tend to value putting in a shift, tackling, tracking back, etc. Over the long haul of a league campaign, it makes a difference.

I played with Doug Rougvie, not the most talented but someone with a European winner's medal and someone SAF trusted to do a job. You need those players. Obviously at United's level they have to be more talented, ergo, Fletcher and perhaps Hargreaves (rip).

Unread 16-04-2010, 05:59 AM
borsuk

milner has been very good for both villa and england this season, making tremendous progress. we have fletcher to provide box to box energy and steel but that's all and it's not enough. hargreaves we have to write off; anderson remains only a prospect and his lack of progress is worrying.

we would have all liked to see fletcher + hargreaves + one other this year and milner is, imo, the closest thing in england to what hargreaves was. it doesn't change our need for a creative player ahead of them, but even the old legs of scholes and giggs would find playing ahead of a two like that relatively easy.

we need a creative midfielder as well, milner would not be that. but if we signed milner and a creative midfielder to play further forward, and kept four of giggs, scholes, gibson, carrick and anderson, promoting cleverly once fit, then i think we'd be well set.

tin hat on but i've said before i rate joe cole, assuming fitness. if we brought in milner and joe cole then i think our midfield would be in pretty good shape.

and why english (british)? because we're an english team playing in england in the english league watched by english fans. foreign players should be additions to a core of nationals. for the likes of rafabio teams might just be franchises that happen, by sheer chance, to be stuck in a certain town, but for the rest of us the club has some connection to where we come from.

arsenal's foreigners have won £#%&! all for years, and before that only intermittently once they went all foreign. chelsea have a strong core of english players - the importance of which maureen understood well.

Unread 16-04-2010, 06:06 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk

and why english (british)? because we're an english team playing in england in the english league watched by english fans. foreign players should be additions to a core of nationals.

kidding btw - good post

Unread 16-04-2010, 06:08 AM
elephantstone

Milner is coming for 18 million rising to 22 mill. Apparently joe cole is not coming now

Unread 16-04-2010, 06:19 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

kidding btw - good post
and get rid of kuszczak as well, these poles, coming over here, nicking our jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
Milner is coming for 18 million rising to 22 mill. Apparently joe cole is not coming now
you got a source for this?

Unread 16-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Sandman

This has been rumoured to be happening for a few weeks now, I think he's a better on the ball than Hargreaves but I'm not sure if he has as much pace and power as him, it still might not happen but it does look like Fergie wants him and Rodwell.

If we do get those two it will still leave us short of a real creative player imo, unless Fergie plans on playing Milner in that position.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Stickman

Quote:
and get rid of kuszczak as well, these poles, coming over here, nicking our jobs

sounds exactly like what I made up a few posts back

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:08 AM
rebelcountyred

i cannot see chelsea allowing joe cole to leave, so it will be milner and stephen ireland to strenghten our midfield this summer.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:11 AM
borsuk

Thumbs up Re: what the £#%&! are we signing

Quote:
sounds exactly like what I made up a few posts back
good enough

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelcountyred
i cannot see chelsea allowing joe cole to leave, so it will be milner and stephen ireland to strenghten our midfield this summer.
said it before and ill say it again, he'd be a great signing, but I just could not take to that complete melter.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:26 AM
borsuk

the stephen ireland of two years ago would have been a good, not great, signing. he's been left out more than he's played this year, though, and he's been poor when he has played. perhaps it's a problem with the management but i'd be worried about signing a player who has been pretty shit for the best part of a year tbh. and i think we could do a lot better anyway.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:30 AM
Stickman

Quote:
the stephen ireland of two years ago would have been a good, not great, signing. he's been left out more than he's played this year, though, and he's been poor when he has played. perhaps it's a problem with the management but i'd be worried about signing a player who has been pretty shit for the best part of a year tbh. and i think we could do a lot better anyway.
victim of big name culture though aint he?

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
i hope we do sign him and you do a "hutchence"
didnt know this was common turn of phrase

Me and a few mates use that one

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:47 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
didnt know this was common turn of phrase

Me and a few mates use that one
Neither did i stickers.

Wont use it again

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Withers

Well I am just please there is some value out there this summer.

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:57 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Well I am just please there is some value out there this summer.
Well after we sell Rooney for £90 mill to Real (according to the sun ), we will have approx £160 mill to spend (including the Ronaldo money that has not been used for interest payments)

Offer O'Neill 10 mill for milner and tell him to use it for a straightjacket, the line jumping #@&%!

Unread 16-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Gorilla Monsoon

I don't see how anyone can say Milner is overrated. He's quick, good passer, attack minded, tough in the tackle (usually), has a great shot on him, and he's the same age as Rooney. for 15m i'd snap him up straight away.

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:04 AM
waynes ear's

had a good game v chelsea until that bedheaded @#%&! assaulted him

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:06 AM
elephantstone

Quote:

yep deep within the bowels of the club, he is usually right about these things

Unread 16-04-2010, 08:16 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
yep deep within the bowels of the club, he is usually right about these things
Closed Thread