United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:04 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
It seemed ludicrous at the time, but at the end of van gaal’s first season peter Kenyon was reportedly telling people not to be surprised to see van gaal sacked by Christmas such was the enemies he’d made at united. Kenyon, the business partner of mourinho’s agent. It was only going to end one way.
Losing the fans was a far bigger issue than Kenyon's gossip. Especially as he got on well with Woodward.

In fact it was easily the biggest factor. He ended with 10 wins from 13 games or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plopborsky

even used pal at the end of the sentence
You didn't deserve that imo pal

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Ethers

Easy to forget there was plenty of talk about LVG extending his contract in 2015, at the time when Peter Kenyon was apparently predicting he’d be sacked by Xmas

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Losing the fans was a far bigger issue than Kenyon's gossip. Especially as he got on well with Woodward.
Weird thing to say. I’d suggest the players wanting you out and having half the board wanting rid of you is slightly more important for the fate of a manager’s job.

Quote:
In fact it was easily the biggest factor. He ended with 10 wins from 13 games or something.
If there was a chance winning 10 from 13 would have saved his job, it wouldn’t have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Easy to forget there was plenty of talk about LVG extending his contract in 2015, at the time when Peter Kenyon was apparently predicting he’d be sacked by Christmas
The united board is a vipers next of competing self interest. No doubt Woodward would have loved to have kept van gaal, for the sake of his own job as much as anything. The fact he still sacked him illustrates the strength of the resistance to van gaal within the club and how he had no chance of keeping his job past January.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Weird thing to say. I’d suggest the players wanting you out and having half the board wanting rid of you is slightly more important for the fate of a manager’s job.
I reckon the fans' opinion and especially season ticket sales definitely would influence board members.

You're not in a position to speak for the players, are you?

Quote:
Easy to forget there was plenty of talk about LVG extending his contract in 2015, at the time when Peter Kenyon was apparently predicting he’d be sacked by Christmas
Yep. Woodward told the press this off the record. Because Woodward was looking purely at the league table, rather than the growing discontent amongst the fans.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:20 PM
andyroo

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:20 PM
Ethers

Quote:

If there was a chance winning 10 from 13 would have saved his job, it wouldn’t have happened.

The united board is a vipers next of competing self interest. No doubt Woodward would have loved to have kept van gaal, for the sake of his own job as much as anything. The fact he still sacked him illustrates the strength of the resistance to van gaal within the club and how he had no chance of keeping his job past January.
If the board members really felt the way you claim, they actually had plenty of opportunity to sack him around Christmas after a horrific run of results and bombing out of the CL - why didn’t they?!

You read all this in Red Ish pal, it was one of their flights of fancy that also included Fergie trying to get rid of LVG so he can install Giggs and other assorted nonsense iirc

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:23 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
I reckon the fans' opinion and especially season ticket sales definitely would influence board members.

You're not in a position to speak for the players, are you?
In as much a position as you are to talk about what Woodward was looking at and telling the media off the record. Kenyon seems to be in a position to know some things. And everything that happened over that season backed it up.

Quote:
Yep. Woodward told the press this off the record. Because Woodward was looking purely at the league table, rather than the growing discontent amongst the fans.
It was blatant club politics at the time. A battle he clearly lost.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
In as much a position as you are to talk about what Woodward was looking at and telling the media off the record. Kenyon seems to be in a position to know some things. And everything that happened over that season backed it up.
Quotes from board appeared in paper at the time. Have heard various high profile journalists indicate they came from Woodward.

Btw very few if any players other than Herrera have given Mourinho more than they gave before him. Doesn't back up the idea they'd been chucking it in - they just aren't/weren't very good.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:29 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
If the board members really felt the way you claim, they actually had plenty of opportunity to sack him around Christmas after a horrific run of results and bombing out of the CL - why didn’t they?!
Well it was seriously considered I think?

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
No idea. Again, you appear to think the board is a united entity all pulling in the same direction. Contract? Politics? Conflict on the board? Woodward clearly didn’t want to sack him and was fighting his corner until he had no choice.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:34 PM
plopborsky

Quote:

You didn't deserve that imo pal

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Quotes from board appeared in paper at the time. Have heard various high profile journalists indicate they came from Woodward.
Motivated by what?

Quote:
Btw very few if any players other than Herrera have given Mourinho more than they gave before him. Doesn't back up the idea they'd been chucking it in - they just aren't/weren't very good.
Weren’t very good? Weren’t you going on about how they won 10 of their last 13 games a few posts ago? They were an absolute shambles for a good month around the middle of the season. Totally downed tools. I’ll leave it to you to speculate why they started playing half decently again after that period to win 10 or the last 13, win the cup and the manager still getting sacked.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Motivated by what?

Weren’t very good? Weren’t you going on about how they won 10 of their last 13 games a few posts ago? They were an absolute shambles for a good month around the middle of the season. Totally downed tools. I’ll leave it to you to speculate why they started playing half decently again after that period to win 10 or the last 13, win the cup and the manager still getting sacked.
You mean when we had 13/14 players out injured? Shocking.

Towards the end found a better balance after Rashford came in.

Quote:
Motivated by what?
Us being a point or so from the top of the table. 18 months after finishing 7th.

As I mentioned, he was seemingly oblivious to the feeling in the ground. Or felt it would pass.

Unread 15-05-2018, 06:58 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
You mean when we had 13/14 players out injured? Shocking.
Some would say that’s the very definition of not playing for the manager.

Quote:
Towards the end found a better balance after Rashford came in.
Yet Woodward still sacked him.

Quote:
As I mentioned, he was seemingly oblivious to the feeling in the ground. Or felt it would pass.
Seems he must have been oblivious to a lot of things. Obviously the players had not made their dislike of van gaal known to him. Surprised the upturn in form due to this better balance of rashford, winning 10 of the last 13 games and the fa cup didn’t convince Woodward it would pass. In fact he didn’t even wait to see what effect winning the cup would have on the crowd. Strange that.

Quote:
Us being a point or so from the top of the table. 18 months after finishing 7th.
Why would that motivate Woodward to start briefing the media? What purpose did it serve?

Unread 15-05-2018, 07:08 PM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Motivated by what?

Totally agreed. Not something I do to often with jd tbh. The players and giggs snide against lvg was legendary- something Siders has strongly claimed was a big part of the cause of his failure. I agree that it was.

The team picked it back up when they knew he was dust imo.

Unread 15-05-2018, 07:30 PM
AK14

Unread 15-05-2018, 07:40 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14

Unread 15-05-2018, 09:57 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Totally agreed. Not something I do to often with jd tbh. The players and giggs snide against lvg was legendary- something Siders has strongly claimed was a big part of the cause of his failure. I agree that it was.

The team picked it back up when they knew he was dust imo.
Nah not really. I just said it was a joke to have one of Giggs' best mates on TV every week slagging him. 99% of clubs would have acted.

There have been similar snide leaks about Mourinho ever since he arrived. Even before he arrived, when someone briefed that the players didn't want him. Every time we get a poor result they appear again, which shows that we still have that total discipline issue.

Result were decent before and after the injury crisis. It's that simple imo. Whatever the difficulties, we'd have been comfy top 3 without it.

Unread 15-05-2018, 10:06 PM
dunk

Pretty sure Jammy was saying no speculation or conjecture is allowed and nothing in the Press can be believed the other day unless you are the manager, or in his or the players inner circle you aren’t allowed to comment IIRC.

Seems to me his entire schtick is to regurgitate vast quantities of memorised backbeat snippets however...

Unread 15-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pretty sure Jammy was saying no speculation or conjecture is allowed and nothing in the Press can be believed the other day unless you are the manager, or in his or the players inner circle you aren’t allowed to comment IIRC.
Apparently you can’t read.
Closed Thread