United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-10-2016, 12:39 AM
jem

schweini and schneidi should see action.

memphis. meh.

darmian. duh.

Unread 26-10-2016, 12:55 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
All Louis van Gaals summer signing in the 2nd year if his 3 year "process"

depay is an idiot. used to bump into him all time.
That's his lack of spatial awareness kicking in.

Unread 26-10-2016, 12:58 AM
utd99

I think there is a chance Schneiderlin would have come good. He often looked excellent for Southampton.

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:06 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I think there is a chance Schneiderlin would have come good. He often looked excellent for Southampton.
memphis looks awesome sometimes. not this season. not really for more than five minutes for us. but still.....

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:09 AM
Pepe le Pew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
All strike me as personalities who couldn't hack it in our dressing room which seems to have an odd culture right now.

Be interesting to see how the dressing room changes when rooney goes...

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:10 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
memphis looks awesome sometimes. not this season. not really for more than five minutes for us. but still.....
I get it, but he should not be getting binned off ahead of Fellaini.

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
All Louis van Gaals summer signing in the 2nd year if his 3 year "process"

depay is an idiot. used to bump into him all time.

Quote:
He is a belting player. We saw that in his performances against us, and for us - in one half against Arsenal.

The man has poo in his pants.

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:27 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream

He is a belting player. We saw that in his performances against us, and for us - in one half against Arsenal.

The man has poo in his pants.
I'd like to see him given a proper run outside of Van Gaal's philosophy.

Unread 26-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Cream

Quote:
I'd like to see him given a proper run outside of Van Gaal's philosophy.
He couldn't be further from Mourinho's.

I'm surprised he wasn't binned over the summer, maybe he's working on him in training.

Unread 26-10-2016, 06:40 AM
AK14

Quote:
I agree

But the trouble with him seems to be he lacks bottle for a big club? As you say though I'd like to see Mourinho give him a chance and if there's not improvement then kick him out.

All four of last years signings though we really are a very poorly run club, all this looks bad on Woodward.

Unread 26-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Tiberian

Looks more and more like we need a footballing director who can bridge that gap between the manager and Woodward, have a say in long term transfer strategy and stabilize the mess we have become in the market.

20+ senior players signed since Fergie retired, for around £500 million, and barely a working partnership across the pitch.

LVG was a disaster in the transfer market, makes it difficult to have any sympathy for him, Utd were outspending every club in Europe during his tenure, it is why he failed. How do we spend £40 million on Darmian and Depay while allowing superior players in Rafael and Nani to leave for £7 million combined?

Unread 26-10-2016, 07:52 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

This goes further back, to around 2009.

We sold Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced them with Valencia and Owen

It started an era where we would buy guys like Ashley Young whilst rivals would get guys like Aguero, Silva and Hazard.

Yes, we were still in a potentially strong position when Fergie left, but we had already been in decline for 5 years, with a squad populated with ageing stars or $#*!.

Moyes was the catalyst to triggering the meltdown.

LVG at least bought us Martial

Unread 26-10-2016, 08:03 AM
Tronics

Just goes to show signing players isn't an exact science

All the those players we signed (bar Basti) were amazing in their last season for their former clubs before they joined. It's not as we went out and made a punt on complete unknowns; but I guess we couldn't account for them rising to the challenge once they got here

I'd be more embarrassed for Schneiderlin though, he's been playing in England for 8+ years before he signed for us and somehow he managed to complete £#%&! it up and allow Fellani to start ahead of him Memphis to needs to take a long hard look at himself, all the talent in the world but none of the brains or temperament

We desperately need proper football people and direction up top, we can't be in a position next season where we need to sign 6 more players just to challenge for honours

Unread 26-10-2016, 08:41 AM
irk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Depay can't get in the squad?!

He's done £#%&!ing well to get on the pitch recently in that case
He just ran on like the scoreboard end rat

Unread 26-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Looks more and more like we need a footballing director who can bridge that gap between the manager and Woodward, have a say in long term transfer strategy and stabilize the mess we have become in the market.

20+ senior players signed since Fergie retired, for around £500 million, and barely a working partnership across the pitch.

LVG was a disaster in the transfer market, makes it difficult to have any sympathy for him, Utd were outspending every club in Europe during his tenure, it is why he failed. How do we spend £40 million on Darmian and Depay while allowing superior players in Rafael and Nani to leave for £7 million combined?
exactly this, although...

not sure about changing the management structure, but would definitely go for it if we also stop going for big name managers and chasing marquee signings.

the point about the almost complete lack of even a semblance of nailed on partnerships in any area is a massive indictment on united these last 3 years.

fellaini is usually not our worst player and he is one of the few who carries out the manager's instructions (mourinho has said as much himself), but he is still a symbol on the field of what united has become, just as woodward is a symbol of that off the field.

Unread 26-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Mr_Ed

and yet we keep Rojo who has Saha levels of injury problems (and he makes Phil Jones look like he's made from balsa)

As ziggy said - we need a sporting director. If we keep buying players and sacking the manager every 2 years or so we'll be £#%&!ed.

Unread 26-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Iron Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Depay can't get in the squad?!

He's done £#%&!ing well to get on the pitch recently in that case
Fenerbache? How many many match day squads has he been left out of? Unfortunately KFC was right, he's shite.

Unread 26-10-2016, 09:37 AM
hopkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
How do we spend £40 million on Darmian and Depay while allowing superior players in Rafael and Nani to leave for £7 million combined?
because we pay top wages and hand out big contracts, it's harder to offload them mid-term, so we end up giving them away for peanuts

Unread 26-10-2016, 09:44 AM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins
because we pay top wages and hand out big contracts, it's harder to offload them mid-term, so we end up giving them away for peanuts
very true...
one of our players is tier 3 pay wise buy buying a tier 1 bracket house because his agent said his big deal from united is coming.....

Unread 26-10-2016, 09:58 AM
Billy Redface

I think Schweinstiger being ostracised is harsh, but the others can have no complaints.

Darmian started ok and, if any of them were to turn it around, I'd say it would be him.

Depay and Schneiderlen have been massive disappointments. Both looked good signings at the time.

Depay has disappeared up his own arse and looks less than useless and Schneiderlen just doesn't seem to have the mentality to play for us. Shame, because his attributes (they are there. We just haven't seen much of them) are exactly suited to what we need to right now.

He's blowing his chance.

It's all very well saying they need time, but they had plenty of games last year and have clearly made no impression on the new manager in 4 months working with him.

If shifting them out is the start of an exodus and reshaping of something resembling a Mourinho side, then so be it

Oh, and just because Fellaini is shite and needs to go, doesn't mean we shouldn't sell anyone else until we do. He likes him. He's staying. Get used to it. Let's deal with the other shit in the side.

Lvg seemed to pride himself in 'training players brains' yet he's been responsible for signing a plethora of spineless shit bags who has just shrugged their way through their limited United career.

Falcao flopped. Rojo, Depay, Schwine, Schneiderlen, Romero and Darmian could all leave tomorrow and nothing would change and di Maria is quite possibly the worst transfer in football history.

And the common theme (Schweinstiger aside) ? Bottle jobs. The lot of them.

Martial and Blind have been good signings and even the latter divides opinion.

2 from 10.

I'm not counting Shaw as he was set up before he arrived.

Sparky created the 'mental fragility' thread and it really is true. We gain a little bit of confidence from wins and that quickly ebbs away as soon as we make (another) fundamental error.

Look at Sunday, we came into off the back of a 4-1 win, a disciplined creditable draw in a game we expected to lose and carried on a run of about six game unbeaten.

3 indivual errors in the opening 30 seconds and we're done.

Defeat. 4-0. Thumped.

It could take another 2 or 3 weeks to pick us back up again after that.

It's not all the players ofcourse. It's a combination of things. The aura of invincibility went as soon as Fergie did and we hired that wrinkled, soiled zombie mess in his place. It was open season from there and that transmits. Throw in players who just aren't up for the fight or can't handle the stage and it sets you back years.

I liked lvg. I like lvg. He had good ideas, but made too many mistakes and we're sorting those out aswell

And this is where we are. Bit of mess. Not awful, just a mess. Unpredictable, no identity. Some good players, some ok, some shit.

I've no idea if José can or will sort it out, but he's a winner, we've hired him and having done that, we have to allow him to shape this squad and ditch the duds*

*in his view.
Closed Thread