United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
used to love and idolise beckham that season he wore number 10. he seemed to be an attacking midfielder rather than a winger, making great driving runs through the middle.

although i was only about 9 so i'm possibly misremembering and basing it all on that goal against spurs.

YouTube - David Beckham goals against Tottenham
Think it was the emergence of Scholes in central midfield that forced Becks out onto the right.

Still, he was world-class out there and I still haven't seen a better crosser of a ball anywhere in world football since.

Unread 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Not *quite* the whole story that, is it now?? Both that one and the Fenerbahce game ended 0-1, but otherwise they were about as different as could possibly be imagined

Didn't Lippi say after the match that had been Juve's hardest game of the season, or similar??
well, as i posted in response to your previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb

not sure we'd come of age against porto at all, we were at least as good in vienna, in the semi-final second leg, and maybe even at home to juve. for me the team came of age when dwight yorke equalised at the camp nou in 98

my posts on this thread are a mixture of the way the 96/97 season was written and the way it is remembered - including by you as shown in your post quoting it as least impressive of ferguson's title wins - as set against the memories and ranking i have of it as a very impressive achievement by a young 2nd season team (plus Ole) who produced as i said at least a dozen top quality united performances as well as an overall season that fell only just short of legendary.
Closed Thread