United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Mr_Ed

Default Providing we don't lose to Wolves today

This team will beat the 99/00 sides unbeaten league record (30 games I think)...

How do the two compare in your opinion?

99 side far far > this one... To be honest I'm surprised this current side has come close to that record.

Unread 05-02-2011, 03:54 PM
taff

Default Re: Providing we don't lose to Wolves today

i don't know. teams are defined by their achievements, so i think it's impossible to judge this one until the end of the season at least; too much gets decided in the heat of the moment otherwise. the minutiae of a campaign can end up irrelevant where it once seemed significant. in every season there's results that can provoke negativity countered by ones that generate elation - it's generally the latter that prove definitive.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Sparky***

Well there it is. You've cursed us to £#%&! now haven't you.

"hi honey, i'm just on my way to drop off the life insurance cheque at the post office, provided i don't crash horribly and die on the way - we're all set.."

FATE. TEMPTED.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

"hi honey, i'm just on my way to drop off the life insurance cheque at the post office, provided i don't crash horribly and die on the way - we're all set.."

FATE. TEMPTED.
indeed
we genuinely might as well not bother turning up now. seriously.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM
believe

2-0 wolves. Nice one.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Pudge_Bear

Nothing will match the 99 side for sheer entertainment, though Giggs, Nani and Berbatov have played some unbelievable stuff this season. I do think that side would have won the champs league again if our current defence played behind that midfield.

-----------------Schmeichel---------------

Rafael---------Rio--------Vidic---------Evra

Beckham-------Scholes-----Keane------Giggs

---------------Cole---------Yorke----------

At least 8/9 genuine world class players in there.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM
utd82

Don't forget that the treble winning side went unbeaten for 45 games in all competitions. An incredible achievement but one that doesn't get mentioned as much as Arsenal's record of 49 league games, omitting the fact they lost plenty of big cup games during the run. If not for the West Ham game in the league cup we would be getting close to that record again surely?

Whatever the strengths of this current side I'd rather watch the '99 side any day.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
irk

stupid horse-headed £#%&!er. seriously, why?

to the abbatoir!

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:21 PM
BarryX

I'd say the 99 team was superior, but the current one is also very very good. There's certainly not a huge amount in it...
Schmeicel is my favourite ever Utd keeper, so he would just get the nod over the 4o year old VDS, although the rest of defense now is just as good IMHO - Vidic and Rio as good as any pairing we've ever had, and if you had Irwin and Evra in the same squad who would you choose ? It's a tough call.

Up front, with the season Berb's is having it's almost like having Sheringham on goal scoring roids, Chico is clearly a player in the Ole molde*, and then there's Rooney (who will hopefully get back to his best) - I sincerely think that in terms of goal scoring ability the current lot is not a million miles away from the four that won the lot.

Wide men - Nani has lots to his game that Beckham didn't, although clearly not the consistent ability to cross the ball or hit the target with a freekick, and Giggs is just about on a par as Giggs. It's a shame Valencia's not had a part to play so far, as on his day, he really is a beast of player who I think still has the potential to improve...

You'd have to say it is the 99 (central) midfield that would tip the scales firmly in its favour - with Keane and Scholes in their prime, Nicky Butt in the mix as well. They could grab any match by the scruff of it's neck and turn things round..just how good where they ??? Anderson looks like he could go all the way, and has definitely stepped up a gear, and Fletcher does a sterling job, credit to him. Carrick's never really won me over, mind, he's a good footballer, no question, but not United legend material. Such a shame Hargreaves has dodgy knees because if he'd have continued to play like he did before that injury I really think we'd have had one of the best midfield players in the world in the shirt, and who knows what a difference that would have made (certainly the few points difference last year we needed)....

Anyway, that was my tuppence worth. Both teams had Fergie at the helm, and for me, that's what makes them both £#%&!ing great. Football played the Utd way (just one did it a bit greater than the other)...

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Dr Gonzo

How about throwing the 93/94 Double winning side into the mix vs the Treble winners ?

Which would you prefer to have watched ??

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
ScarFace

This teams back five and the 99 teams front 6

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
armchair

For a lot of the treble season United had the same accusations of never quite getting into top gear thrown at them. You can't judge a season until it's over imo.

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs down Re: Providing we don't lose to Wolves today

:shakehead:

Unread 05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
We were going to lose anyway and part of that prophesy is that before the loss someone will post a thread saying "if we win to day it'll break some record"

or maybe not, double kismet mother£#%&!ers

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:25 PM
livelylobster

Heads will roll for this Mr Ed.

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Bunker Buster

What a £#%&!ing #@&%! Mr ed is.

Rep that @#%&! off the forum.

Seriously though.

~Its in the thread title.....|

Well in ed Head.

horses #@&%!

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***

FATE. TEMPTED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
indeed
we genuinely might as well not bother turning up now. seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
2-0 wolves. Nice one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
stupid horse-headed £#%&!er. seriously, why?

to the abbatoir!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We were going to lose anyway and part of that prophesy is that before the loss someone will post a thread saying "if we win to day it'll break some record"

or maybe not, double kismet mother£#%&!ers
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelylobster
Heads will roll for this Mr Ed.
Horse burgers and chips all round tonight

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Horse burgers and chips all round tonight
I'd piss on his face if he was here.......

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Mr_Ed

Yes it's all my fault... I've been sat inside Carrick and Fletchers heads all night saying 'pass to the @#%&! in
Gold'

Have patience... 45 mins and it can get a lot worse you superstitious ball sacks.

Unread 05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
epik

20 minutes...
Closed Thread