Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-01-2011, 01:13 PM
redhegemony

Default Re: Tomasz Kuszczak aims to be Manchester United number one

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
good shot stopper.
can't kick at all (his technique is all wrong and it amazes me they've not taught him how to kick at carrington yet )

conclusion: nowhere near good enough for the premier league, never mind manchester united.
never managed it with bosnich who was worse.

Unread 14-01-2011, 01:40 PM
dodger

I thought he was leaving?

Unread 14-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by toseeunited
good shot stopper.
can't kick at all (his technique is all wrong and it amazes me they've not taught him how to kick at carrington yet )
I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be taught. It should be a simple matter of technique, but even though you're just hoofing it as hard as you can, you have to have good touch and feel to hit it sweetly every time, and he just doesn't have that.

One thing you have to credit him for - he's played a fair few games now and while he's been at fault more than once, he doesn't make the kind of absurd schoolboy errors you see almost every weekend. I do think he'd make a good Premier League keeper elsewhere. Blackpool would take him a second, Villa too after this season when Friedel is gone.

Unread 14-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
I don't think it's the kind of thing that can be taught. It should be a simple matter of technique, but even though you're just hoofing it as hard as you can, you have to have good touch and feel to hit it sweetly every time, and he just doesn't have that.

One thing you have to credit him for - he's played a fair few games now and while he's been at fault more than once, he doesn't make the kind of absurd schoolboy errors you see almost every weekend. I do think he'd make a good Premier League keeper elsewhere. Blackpool would take him a second, Villa too after this season when Friedel is gone.
I might have a memory like that thing you sift flour with but I don't recall him making many Ben Foster style clangers. He comes in, saves a couple of hard shots, £#%&!s up a few kicks, looks a bit cross-eyed and then doesn't play for a month or two. Fair £#%&!s really. Number 1 for a club like Wolves or something.

Unread 15-01-2011, 05:55 AM
Argentina

Quote:

So you can't teach technique then?

Unread 15-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
So you can't teach technique then?
Did you read the rest of the post? It's NOT just a matter of technique. It's also touch and feel and overall skill with a football. You can teach that at 12, not at 27.

We're not talking about dead balls. He takes a goal kick just fine. It's backpasses that cause him all his kicking problems.

Unread 15-01-2011, 10:16 AM
MUFC One Love

Learn how to kick the ball before thinking about being United's number 1, you @#%&!.

Unread 15-01-2011, 10:39 AM
believe

Grimmers when you type goalkeeping posts do you have your dick out?

Unread 15-01-2011, 12:25 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Did you read the rest of the post? It's NOT just a matter of technique. It's also touch and feel and overall skill with a football. You can teach that at 12, not at 27.

We're not talking about dead balls. He takes a goal kick just fine. It's backpasses that cause him all his kicking problems.
Always thought Barthez had that in spades

Unread 15-01-2011, 12:31 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 139sroberts
"I do not want this to sound arrogant but I think I am good enough,"
it doesn't sound arrogant.

deluded, maybe.

Unread 15-01-2011, 12:39 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
it doesn't sound arrogant.

deluded, maybe.
It would worry me that he only 'thinks' he is good enough. Manchester United's goalkeeper should know beyond any doubt he is good enough.

Unread 15-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Grimmers when you type goalkeeping posts do you have your dick out?
Probably the same with you and, er... Well you have no interests and aren't good at anything, so maybe it's not really the same.

Unread 15-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Probably the same with you and, er... Well you have no interests and aren't good at anything, so maybe it's not really the same.
pow.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Argentina

Quote:

Of course you can teach it. You've said it's not a matter of technique, it's touch, feel and overall skill with a football....Is that not what technique is??!

And how do you get good and competent at anything? You practice. Saying you can't teach it at 27 is ridiculous too.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:10 PM
believe

Quote:
What? So you think I don't ever sit at my computer with my dick in my hand?

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Of course you can teach it. You've said it's not a matter of technique, it's touch, feel and overall skill with a football....Is that not what technique is??!
Not really. Technique is the physical mechanics of performing an action, i.e. keeping the knee over the ball when shooting, etc. If there was nothing more to it than technique, why can't every player bring down a ball like Berbatov, or strike one like Scholes? Just teach them the technique and hey ho, everyone's a genius.

Feel and touch are like art - hard to define but easy to recognise. You can certainly improve them both through training as well, but every player is going to max out at some point, some of them nowhere near others, even if they perform the basic action of trapping or striking a football exactly the same.

You get good at anything by practicing, but there is a point of diminishing returns, as with everything, and in football it normally happens a hell of a long time before the age of 27.

Now I realise I'm debating a highly paid football professional, so I should say these are just my opinions.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Not really. Technique is the physical mechanics of performing an action, i.e. keeping the knee over the ball when shooting, etc. If there was nothing more to it than technique, why can't every player bring down a ball like Berbatov, or strike one like Scholes? Just teach them the technique and hey ho, everyone's a genius.

Feel and touch are like art - hard to define but easy to recognise. You can certainly improve them both through training as well, but every player is going to max out at some point, some of them nowhere near others, even if they perform the basic action of trapping or striking a football exactly the same.
As though talent is some mystical gift bestowed upon a chosen someone.

How do you get feel and touch to be that way? Were they just born with that touch and guile and footballing prowess?

No. Practice. That's the only way you improve or nurture any ability.
http://www.infoniac.com/science/it-t...-a-genius.html

And it's not just a case of teaching...it's coaching and honing a technique, something which at 27 is perfectly capable of happening.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Grimson

Quote:

How do you get feel and touch to be that way? Were they just born with that touch and guile and footballing prowess?

And it's not just a case of teaching...it's coaching and honing a technique, something which at 27 is perfectly capable of happening.
I'm aware of the 10,000 hour thing. My point is the Tony Hibberts of the world have put in their 10,000 hours and are never going to have the ability with a football as some 17-year-old in the River Plate youth team. Now why is that? Has he been improperly coached, is his technique demonstrably 'wrong', or is there something in his physical makeup that means his development plateaus after a period of time, and there is no further improvement? Or is it something else, because it surely has to be something, right? If it was just technique and practice, we wouldn't have such variance in ability.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:51 PM
shenwen

Quote:

i would argue that yes, some people are born with certain attributes, be it a great balance or hand eye coordination or even simple physiological factors that will always position them different than those without. of course, these attributes also need practice and technique to bring to a certain level, but having them in the first place gives that person an advantage.

why is maradona a better footballer than 99 per cent of other footballers who have played the game? using your logic, he just practiced more.

Unread 16-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Argentina

Quote:
I'm aware of the 10,000 hour thing. My point is the Tony Hibberts of the world have put in their 10,000 hours and are never going to have the ability with a football as some 17-year-old in the River Plate youth team. Now why is that? Has he been improperly coached, is his technique demonstrably 'wrong', or is there something in his physical makeup that means his development plateaus after a period of time, and there is no further improvement? Or is it something else, because it surely has to be something, right? If it was just technique and practice, we wouldn't have such variance in ability.
Not really. If somebody is coaching you to shoot and tells you to spend half an hour rubbing your stoumach while patting your head, that's not the best use of your time.
In Brazil, and somewhat in Argentina, they don't even play 11-a-side until they're about 14. They play futsal which is absolutely tremendous for technique - a more efficient use of their 10,000 hours, making it a lot closer to 10,000 hours rather than a pretend quota.

Why do you think players improve with age? In Managing My Life, Ferguson puts Beckham's ability squarely down to the practice he put in on the training field.
He put moments like this
down to what? Extra practice and has countless times said it was the influence on Scholes and co in the importance of not packing up and going home after training but staying for that extra work.
If Ferguson agrees with me, I'll stick with that thanks
Closed Thread