United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-10-2017, 08:04 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
Same.

You get used to it....then the new season gives you a little bit of hope.....oooh, couple of 4-0s..... clear at the top....

Ah, there it is. There's the crushing disappointment.
The Utd boom-bust cycle

Unread 21-10-2017, 10:37 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
We used to have Scholes.

Kills me.
I’d have him back tbh.

Unread 21-10-2017, 10:45 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’d have him back tbh.
we all would. tbh i was disgusted at Veron displacing him to the out wide reservation. As was Roy.

Unread 05-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Sparky***

Another dose of smelling salts for those living in la-la land.

This lot aren't good enough. Nowhere near.

Unread 05-11-2017, 08:23 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Another dose of smelling salts for those living in la-la land.

This lot aren't good enough. Nowhere near.
Nah. We're gonna smash Liverpool because they can't defend and were gonna smash Chelsea because they lost to Roma.

Unread 05-11-2017, 09:43 PM
utd99

In hindsight, I think it’s clear we were misled by a very solid pre season and starting the campaign off against a load of shit.

Unread 05-11-2017, 09:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
In hindsight, I think it’s clear we were misled by a very solid pre season and starting the campaign off against a load of shit.
Was pretty evident when watching the early games tbh, the goal gluts merely masked the insipid shit that had preceded them, just that some didn’t want to admit that, somewhat understandably.

Unread 05-11-2017, 10:42 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Was pretty evident when watching the early games tbh, the goal gluts merely masked the insipid shit that had preceded them, just that some didn’t want to admit that, somewhat understandably.
There was no way to know for sure until the pre season advantage evened out and we started playing some decent teams though. I was hoping that at the very least we could keep some confidence momentum going. Truth is, at this moment, we are no more than in the mix for top four.

City are streets ahead of everyone else, then Spurs, then us and Chelsea with Liverpool and Arsenal bringing up the rear; but on any given week anyone outside of City could beat each other, but in order for us to get that win we daren’t go toe to toe with any of them or we’ll get stuffed. That’s simply not good enough.

We were talked up as favourites after three games, but we’re not even close.

Unread 05-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Red Al

Quote:
Just like last year

Unread 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Sapien

Quote:
There was no way to know for sure until the pre season advantage evened out and we started playing some decent teams though. I was hoping that at the very least we could keep some confidence momentum going. Truth is, at this moment, we are no more than in the mix for top four.

City are streets ahead of everyone else, then Spurs, then us and Chelsea with Liverpool and Arsenal bringing up the rear; but on any given week anyone outside of City could beat each other, but in order for us to get that win we daren’t go toe to toe with any of them or we’ll get stuffed. That’s simply not good enough.

Never heard of the par league pal?

Unread 05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Sparky***

This man knows.

Unread 06-11-2017, 01:04 AM
S/Side.Red

Love that lad. Way too young to be such a doomlord

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Trouble is the RAWK crew would shout down anyone who dares criticise their equivalent of Benitez. Those goals, bar West Ham, came in ten minute patches of otherwise average performances.

We had a horrendous squad in terms of quality going into the summer. Adding one midfielder, good though he is and Lukaku wasn't going to rectify that, and meant that we were always going to be vulnerable to an injury to one of our few good players like Pogba.

So many of our players are like c**kroaches, surviving summer after summer

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
Trouble is the RAWK crew would shout down anyone who dares criticise their equivalent of Benitez. Those goals, bar West Ham, came in ten minute patches of otherwise average performances.

We had a horrendous squad in terms of quality going into the summer. Adding one midfielder, good though he is and Lukaku wasn't going to rectify that, and meant that we were always going to be vulnerable to an injury to one of our few good players like Pogba.

So many of our players are like c**kroaches, surviving summer after summer
Our squad needs a total overhaul. City already had a better squad than United when Guardiola and Mourinho took over the clubs.

Since then Guardiola has signed 14 players
Jose has signed 5. 6 if you include Zlatan.

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Our squad needs a total overhaul. City already had a better squad than United when Guardiola and Mourinho took over the clubs.

City's back four atm is still Delph-Otamendi-Stones-Walker with Fernandinho pretty much on his own in midfield.

The worrying thing is they have plenty of areas for improvement, too.

United's squad is one of the strongest in the league. But in terms of being where we really want to be, which is where we were ten years ago, we are miles off. Personally out of the side that started yesterday, De Gea and Rashford are the only ones I'm arsed about.

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:54 AM
shenwen

Quote:

We can take the piss out of city for buying so many players, but it was needed.

Needed at United as well.

Players like Smalling, Hererra, Lingard - you know the rest. We are almost grateful when they give a good performance, when it should be standard.

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Ranier Wolfcastle

Quote:

I agree, but another big concern is that Mourinho seems to love a lot of our c*ckroaches like Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia, Young etc and refuses to play Martial with Rashford most of the time. Is De Gea hoofing it up to Lukaku the best he can do with this team?

Unread 06-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
City's back four atm is still Delph-Otamendi-Stones-Walker with Fernandinho pretty much on his own in midfield.

The worrying thing is they have plenty of areas for improvement, too.

United's squad is one of the strongest in the league. But in terms of being where we really want to be, which is where we were ten years ago, we are miles off. Personally out of the side that started yesterday, De Gea and Rashford are the only ones I'm arsed about.
Me too. Except Rashford. Martial is infinitely better.

City have conceded 2 goals every time i've watched them play this season. But they usually score 4 up the other end.

It's the fact they can rotate top quality players every week and they all are good enough, young enough and mobile enough to execute Guardiola's extremely intense playing style every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Wolfcastle
I agree, but another big concern is that Mourinho seems to love a lot of our c*ckroaches like Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia, Young etc and refuses to play Martial with Rashford most of the time. Is De Gea hoofing it up to Lukaku the best he can do with this team?
Was yesterday not an indicator of why that happens?

You saw what happens yesterday when this United team tries to out-football a top 5 team away from home. It was a horror show.

To quote neville our midfield got 'ambushed' by Chelsea's. They ran all over them.

When your midfielders aren't good enough to play through, that's what you get reduced to.

Unread 06-11-2017, 09:16 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
You saw what happens yesterday when this United team tries to out-football a top 5 team away from home. It was a horror show.

To quote neville our midfield got 'ambushed' by Chelsea's. They ran all over them.

When your midfielders aren't good enough to play through, that's what you get reduced to.
Shouldn't have signed Matic, then. He gets a great press, but he's not a guy who builds the play or helps control a match; he's quite erratic in most aspects of his game. Can ping the odd pass but really he's there to bully people, and he tends to do that best when he's playing against utter mugs. United could do with a brain in midfield; very hard to find someone that special though.

Unread 06-11-2017, 09:21 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Shouldn't have signed Matic, then. He gets a great press, but he's not a guy who builds the play or helps control a match; he's quite erratic in most aspects of his game. Can ping the odd pass but really he's there to bully people, and he tends to do that best when he's playing against utter mugs. United could do with a brain in midfield; very hard to find someone that special though.
Harsh on Matic I think. It doesn't help when he is carrying Hererra through the game. He is limited (although much more than a bully) and in the best of worlds he should be able to win the ball and feed it quick to someone like Miki (but not Miki). Desperately need the dynamism of Pogba (erratic I know, but will take that over the alternatives).
Closed Thread