United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
Yawn.

He didn't do too bad at Liverpool - finished above United in 02 - or Lyons (2 league titles in 2 seasons there), but don't let that distract you from anything.
Oh straighten your face you mard arse. When they finished above us, we had a shite keeper and the new signings we signed were struggling iirc. That was probably the shitest we've been in the past 15 years, wasn't it? My memory's not what it was. Was that when we had Barthez, Bellion, Blanc (before he turned it around) etc etc? Finishing above us was due to us, not Houllier. Liverpool don't like sacking keepers but they sacked him, despite him being a lifelong Liverpool fan.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:05 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Oh straighten your face you mard arse. When they finished above us, we had a shite keeper and the new signings we signed were struggling iirc. That was probably the shitest we've been in the past 15 years, wasn't it? My memory's not what it was. Was that when we had Barthez, Bellion, Blanc (before he turned it around) etc etc? Finishing above us was due to us, not Houllier. Liverpool don't like sacking keepers but they sacked him, despite him being a lifelong Liverpool fan.
Alright then. When we win the league and win things, it's all down to us, but when another team does anything else, it's down to us - they just got lucky.

They were there on merit and deservedly so. I suppose he just got lucky twice with Lyons then?

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Spiffy

Quote:
Alright then. When we win the league and win things, it's all down to us, but when another team does anything else, it's down to us - they just got lucky.

They were there on merit and deservedly so. I suppose he just got lucky twice with Lyons then?
Year Team Points
99/00 Utd 91
Liv 67
00/01 Utd 80
Liv 69
01/02 Utd 77
Liv 80
02/03 Utd 83
Liv 64
03/04 Utd 75
Liv 60

So once they reached 80 points when we got 77. Look at all those points in the 60's. After several years in the job, in his last season he got 60 points. Hardly the figures of a good manager. They would never have won the league under Houllier.

Liverpool got 63 points last season so they performed better in Rafa's last season than in Houllier's last season. Is Benitez a good manager? He had a decent record at Valencia.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
treme

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well, we're still waiting........

Apparently, several Villa players are none too keen on boggly eyes taking over and this is holding things up
That being the two Liverpool players he sold when in charge. Can't think of who they are but Stephen Warnock is one of them.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:43 AM
carlosartorial

Be funny if he won the league with Villa*, watch the revisionism start in RAWK then....

*not gonna happen I know, but you know what I mean.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by treme
That being the two Liverpool players he sold when in charge. Can't think of who they are but Stephen Warnock is one of them.
Friedel is one anyway.

Unread 07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Argentina

Quote:
Year Team Points
99/00 Utd 91
Liv 67
00/01 Utd 80
Liv 69
01/02 Utd 77
Liv 80
02/03 Utd 83
Liv 64
03/04 Utd 75
Liv 60

So once they reached 80 points when we got 77. Look at all those points in the 60's. After several years in the job, in his last season he got 60 points. Hardly the figures of a good manager. They would never have won the league under Houllier.

Liverpool got 63 points last season so they performed better in Rafa's last season than in Houllier's last season. Is Benitez a good manager? He had a decent record at Valencia.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Statistics
They were his first 6 years in charge. Compare to Ferguson's first 6 years. Not too different.

09/10
Chelsea 86
United 85

08/09
United 90
Liverpool 86
Chelsea 83

07/08
United 87
Chelsea 85

06/07
United 89
Chelsea 83

05/06
Chelsea 91
United 83

04/05
Chelsea 95
Arsenal 83
United 77

Quite clearly United only won the league 3 times on the bounce from 07-09 because Chelsea were so poor. A repeat of either of these years that Chelsea won would have meant United didn't have a prayer.

You can only do what's infront of you, and the fact is Houllier is a good manager. I'm not saying he's the best or anything or will work wonders, but I said he's 'quite a good manager'. You said he's not and didn't give anything to back your argument up. Now you have given something, it doesn't prove he's a bad manager. In fact you seem to be backing my argument - that 'he's quite a good manager' - up with these stats.

Unread 07-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Charlestown Rouge

Phil Thompson as his Assistant according to the crazy kids at Sky. Now that would be funny.

Unread 07-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Ashley's Grime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
Phil Thompson as his Assistant according to the crazy kids at Sky. Now that would be funny.
Sly would have to get another scouse bastard to replace him on Soccer Saturday.

Unread 07-09-2010, 09:43 AM
andyroo

I think a bit much was made of them finishing above us that year. They weren't seriously in the title race, it was pretty much a shoot-out between us and Arse... once Arse had it won with a couple of games left we lost all the dead rubbers and the vermin won all theirs.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
They were his first 6 years in charge. Compare to Ferguson's first 6 years. Not too different.

09/10
Chelsea 86
United 85

08/09
United 90
Liverpool 86
Chelsea 83

07/08
United 87
Chelsea 85

06/07
United 89
Chelsea 83

05/06
Chelsea 91
United 83

04/05
Chelsea 95
Arsenal 83
United 77

Quite clearly United only won the league 3 times on the bounce from 07-09 because Chelsea were so poor. A repeat of either of these years that Chelsea won would have meant United didn't have a prayer.

You can only do what's infront of you, and the fact is Houllier is a good manager. I'm not saying he's the best or anything or will work wonders, but I said he's 'quite a good manager'. You said he's not and didn't give anything to back your argument up. Now you have given something, it doesn't prove he's a bad manager. In fact you seem to be backing my argument - that 'he's quite a good manager' - up with these stats.
I have to disagree with you. The stats show he was no better than Benitez. Are you suggesting Benitez is quite a good manager too then? Houllier's team didn't move forward, Benitez's didn't either. When SAF joined United, he transformed the club, looking at the league points only gives an unfair comparison as restructuring the youth set up was arguably what has helped us maintain the success for as long as it has.

Houllier is not as good as O'Neill and I didn't think he was as good as some make out. He's a good solid manager whose team probably get a few points more each year than they would with someone shit. He'd never have made them title contenders and neither would Houllier at Liverpool or Benitez. Worth remembering that Villa with Atkinson as manager nearly won the league.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Argentina

Quote:
I have to disagree with you. The stats show he was no better than Benitez. Are you suggesting Benitez is quite a good manager too then? Houllier's team didn't move forward, Benitez's didn't either. When SAF joined United, he transformed the club, looking at the league points only gives an unfair comparison as restructuring the youth set up was arguably what has helped us maintain the success for as long as it has.

Houllier is not as good as O'Neill and I didn't think he was as good as some make out. He's a good solid manager whose team probably get a few points more each year than they would with someone shit. He'd never have made them title contenders and neither would Houllier at Liverpool or Benitez. Worth remembering that Villa with Atkinson as manager nearly won the league.
Right, my point entirely. Thanks for going around the houses to agree.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Houllier is quite a good manager
Take out the last year or so of his time at Liverpool, before which he improved them quite considerably, and his record in club football is actually pretty good. Won titles in France with two different teams and did some very good work with smaller clubs too. Supposedly did a lot of good work in terms of youth development within the French set-up during the 90's too.

Liverpool had started going backwards before he left, but probably harsh to judge his entire career on that.

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Ginners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestown Rouge
hes turned it down, wants to stay at sky ffs

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:38 PM
The Watcher

"We're ten games from greatness"

Unread 07-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Spiffy

Quote:
Right, my point entirely. Thanks for going around the houses to agree.
I was talking about MON. Houllier's not as good as MON.

HTH.

Unread 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
red in cumbria

And now it is officially
Closed Thread