Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-06-2007, 07:41 AM
utd for ever

Default Panel Set To Reject Anderson Work Permit

United Sweat On Anderson Move

EXCLUSIVE
By Alan Nixon 29/06/2007

MANCHESTER UNITED'S £18million signing Anderson may have to wait a year to join his new club.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson and club solicitor Maurice Watkin were at a meeting in London yesterday to plead for the Brazilian to be given a work permit.

Anderson's first application was refused as he does not have enough caps to satisfy work permit rules.

United appealed, asking for the 19-year-old to be considered a special case, and are now sweating on the decision.

A six-strong panel will deliver a verdict within the next 48 hours, with Anderson's transfer from Porto depending on the result. If the appeal fails, United cannot reapply until next year.

The attacking midfielder has been given rave reviews by former Brazil boss Luis Felipe Scolari, but his lack of international experience means he may be left in limbo for a season.

Unread 29-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Barca '91

I think most people expected the first approach to be rebuffed and an appeal likely.

I'm not worried though Mo Watkins and the boys will present a strong enough case to suggest that he will enhance the Premiership and that will suffice.

We can keep our powder dry for now at least...

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Whalefish

Just out of interest how many caps had Tim Howard collected before we signed him under the 'special talent' rule?

Same goes for Chelsea with Mikel and Kalou?

However, the way things go these days I wouldn't be surprised if it was thrown out and then someone else signs a player who shouldn't qualify under such a ruling but breezes through.

If he doesn't come this Summer, waiting 12months won't be so bad if he's tied to that Utd deal.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:19 AM
Lou_Macari_Chippy

i think these work permit rules are complete %@#$&!s. The lads a pro footballer, he's played for his country and a top club want to spend millions on bringing him over to play for them. Can someone please tell me why the fuss?

It simply doesn't make sense, we've all kinds of foreign footballers in the premier league, the f.a have decided not to put any restrictions in place so that should be it.

I just dont get it, seems to me a complete waste of time and energy for the sake of creating red tape just to stop a few footballers from being allowed to play - yet they get in on appeal anyway! just plain daft init.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Just out of interest how many caps had Tim Howard collected before we signed him under the 'special talent' rule?

Same goes for Chelsea with Mikel and Kalou?

However, the way things go these days I wouldn't be surprised if it was thrown out and then someone else signs a player who shouldn't qualify under such a ruling but breezes through.

If he doesn't come this Summer, waiting 12months won't be so bad if he's tied to that Utd deal.
Tim Howard's was a bit different. He had a Hungarian wife and they were joining the EU a few months later. I was under the impression that was one of the reasons he was given a work permit.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Whalefish

Rafa said pretty much the same when they were trying to get a permit for Gonzalez.

I have a nasty feeling in my water about this one.

However it does seem daft. Did Howard require a permit? If he did how on earth did he qualify under this special talent ruling and Alex couldn't? What number of senior international games have Mikel and Kalou played?

Edit: Re Howard, cheers for that. Still would like to know what consitutes a 'special talent' under work permit rules. I'd also hope Utd would have made enquiries about this before signing the lad.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd for ever
United Sweat On Anderson Move

EXCLUSIVE
By Alan Nixon 29/06/2007

MANCHESTER UNITED'S £18million signing Anderson may have to wait a year to join his new club.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson and club solicitor Maurice Watkin were at a meeting in London yesterday to plead for the Brazilian to be given a work permit.

Anderson's first application was refused as he does not have enough caps to satisfy work permit rules.

United appealed, asking for the 19-year-old to be considered a special case, and are now sweating on the decision.

A six-strong panel will deliver a verdict within the next 48 hours, with Anderson's transfer from Porto depending on the result. If the appeal fails, United cannot reapply until next year.

The attacking midfielder has been given rave reviews by former Brazil boss Luis Felipe Scolari, but his lack of international experience means he may be left in limbo for a season.
Well that's a story of pure speculation isn't it. Who exactly is he and how does he know the minds of the work permit panel? Does he have insiders i the home ofice immigration department?

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:40 AM
dakpul

paper/web filler.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:44 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakpul
paper/web filler.
Exactly, nothing has changed since his "signing" except he has made his Brazil debut. This panel is yet to meet so how has the deal become less likely all of a sudden?

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

It's off. Knew it.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:53 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop
It's off. Knew it.
Well, you think he's shit anyway so you must be relieved.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Well, you think he's shit anyway so you must be relieved.
He's a big time Charlie. There's no place for haircuts in football.

Unread 29-06-2007, 08:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Agreed, I haven't like hair in football since Bobby got rid of his baldy-flap.

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:02 AM
utd for ever

Now bbc is reporting the same thing..

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:04 AM
dakpul

Quote:
ah £#%&! it's all over then.

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:06 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakpul
ah £#%&! it's all over then.

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:06 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yes and again, there is no actual story there, is there. Nothing has changed since we signed him aside from him gaining his first cap.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/6252368.stm

"But Anderson does not have enough caps for Brazil to satisfy Home Office rules and his first application was refused.

United lodged an appeal on Thursday - with a verdict expected within 48 hours - but if that fails they cannot reapply until next year.

Anderson needs to have played in 75% of Brazil's international fixtures in the previous two years to meet Home Office criteria.

The Premier League champion's solicitor, Maurice Watkins, asked the six-man panel to consider Anderson as a special case. "

We knew all of this when he signed, it's a non-story.

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:07 AM
celtbion

Quote:
Welcome to the forum Eamonn.

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:07 AM
puressence

no great loss

Unread 29-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtbion
Welcome to the forum Eamonn.
Ronaldo? Don't get me started, showpony, a joke, now pass me another jameson, neat, with a shot of jameson in it, I hate everyone, blah blah.
Closed Thread