United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-01-2021, 11:42 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
The Scottish Player as a right wing back ffs
What better place to experiment with madness than Anfield?

Unread 13-01-2021, 11:42 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
we setting up a zoom call to watch it?
If you do I’d love an invite. Will get my Martial shirt and poster out just for the occasion.

Unread 13-01-2021, 11:44 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
we setting up a zoom call to watch it?
Surprised its not happened yet. Would be a laugh

Unread 13-01-2021, 11:54 AM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if your aim is to employ wing back to push their fullbacks backwards, it seems an odd choice. unless you mean it literally.
Anyone occupying that space will stop them coming forwards - need someone who understands the role.

Unread 13-01-2021, 12:05 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
The Scottish Player as a right wing back ffs
you should watch the odd game. you might learn something.

Unread 13-01-2021, 03:46 PM
Vida_15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
if your aim is to employ wing back to push their fullbacks backwards, it seems an odd choice. unless you mean it literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Anyone occupying that space will stop them coming forwards - need someone who understands the role.
that will actually do that exact opposite because Klopp plays his wingers on the inside channels and leaves the wing to the fullbacks...all that will happen is we end up playing a 532 and get pinned into a 5 back system for most of the game and its' 1v1 against our 3 Cb's and their 3 forwards

Ole needs to stick to the 4231 with scott and fred sitting in front of the back four and not £#%&!ing tinker with the formation. His biggest tactical decision is if to play pogba and where?

Unread 13-01-2021, 03:55 PM
no fun

Team pretty much picks itself

£#%&!gy
Spider legs
Slabhead
Better than the swede but £#%&! me he’s bound to concede a pen
Fatty
The Scottish player
Shortarse runs a lot
Buck toothed hero from Portugal
My agents a @#%&!
I was raised on a council estate you know
Skelator

Unread 13-01-2021, 04:21 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vida_15
that will actually do that exact opposite because Klopp plays his wingers on the inside channels and leaves the wing to the fullbacks...all that will happen is we end up playing a 532 and get pinned into a 5 back system for most of the game and its' 1v1 against our 3 Cb's and their 3 forwards

Ole needs to stick to the 4231 with scott and fred sitting in front of the back four and not £#%&!ing tinker with the formation. His biggest tactical decision is if to play pogba and where?
We effectively played a back 3 last night and to be fair it was a clever way of using it. If we don't play wing backs the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 have to do a lot of covering of their full backs. You're right of the dangers of a back 3 becoming a permanent 5.

Unread 13-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Vida_15

we played a back 3 at times,especially in the build up play, made perfect sense strictly because burnley played with two forwards so it was right to have matic drop in to help ensure we weren't 2v2 at the back on the counter.

liverpool don't really utilize their wings to defend or track outside backs, they use their midfielders to cover the wide spaces most of the time which is why they play direct so often as they catch teams with their 3 forwards high up the pitch. Firmino may work back from time to time but Salah and Mane tend to stay higher for the quick counters.

Unread 13-01-2021, 04:52 PM
jem

Quote:

are you arguing with both of us?

leaving aside the fact the firmino isn't really a no 9 (and we're still matched up man-for-man, with the only question being whether our wing backs push their fullbacks back or vice versa), the point remains that wan b is particularly ill-suited to being a wing back. he's not even much use as a traditional neville g fullback, when it comes to us being in possession. he puts in one decent cross a season. as a defender one-on-one, he is quite superb (as long as he doesn't have to look over his shoulder to find the guy he is meant to be marking), but he really should stay in our half and pay attention. if we play 3-5-2, he should be in the 3 (if selected).

Unread 13-01-2021, 06:04 PM
Vida_15

i was agreeing with you jem....i just don't think playing a 352 against them is a good idea as it won't push their full backs to be more defensive. AWB isn't a wing back for sure as his offensive side of the game needs to improve for that to be an effective system.

Unread 13-01-2021, 06:08 PM
jem

Quote:
i was agreeing with you jem....
;0)

tbh, we don't have the players for a balanced midfield.
Closed Thread