United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:14 AM
magic_cantona

Default Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

I do.

At times, we can win the league (like last season) and play up to a United standard about 6 times.By that, I mean, by going out and batterring teams out of sight (Chelsea at home, Arsenal away in the Euro semi) or coming back to win handsomly (Spurs at home leaps to kind).

We've had a few this season: Wigan away, Spurs away etc.Proper United performances.But does anyone get the feeling that these are really few and far between for the past few seasons?Even with Ronaldo, I don't feel we're that exciting to watch as we were and sometimes we can just be dull imho

Now, it might just be down to the fact that the league we find ourselves in is a whole lot better and the teams we are facing are certainly no mugs anymore.But to me, there's more to it.I think we werte streets ahead in terms oof excitement when Quieroz was about.

I might be talking a lot of shit (Thanks Doc) but does anyone else feel a bit like this?

Winning yes, but sometimes it's all a bit . And that sounds right slapped arse doesn't it?

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:15 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default Re: Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

Spoilt.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Smeggs

Default Re: Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

spoilt.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Mr_Ed

spoilt

nft text

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:17 AM
carlosartorial

It's what comes from 11 titles in 17 years.

And as for being much more exciting when Queiroz was about, yes you are talking shit.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:18 AM
wiganste

Go and watch Rhyl and come back in 3 months. or not at all, hopefully

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
thankseric

Yes sometimes and yes, we are spoilt.

We're not as gung ho as in the past....maybe that's why it's not as exciting sometimes?

ScholesScoresGoals2

I understand where you are coming from and for me its the OT crowd, its £#%&!ing woeful.
They eventually let out a roar on 84 mins, it really is £#%&!ing depressing.

Why do people go to matches and 95% of the crowd don't sign/cheer?

Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I do.

At times, we can win the league (like last season) and play up to a United standard about 6 times.By that, I mean, by going out and batterring teams out of sight (Chelsea at home, Arsenal away in the Euro semi) or coming back to win handsomly (Spurs at home leaps to kind).

We've had a few this season: Wigan away, Spurs away etc.Proper United performances.But does anyone get the feeling that these are really few and far between for the past few seasons?Even with Ronaldo, I don't feel we're that exciting to watch as we were and sometimes we can just be dull imho

Now, it might just be down to the fact that the league we find ourselves in is a whole lot better and the teams we are facing are certainly no mugs anymore.But to me, there's more to it.I think we werte streets ahead in terms oof excitement when Quieroz was about.

I might be talking a lot of shit (Thanks Doc) but does anyone else feel a bit like this?

Winning yes, but sometimes it's all a bit . And that sounds right slapped arse doesn't it?
Too much of a good thing my friend.

Not judging though, as I know where you're coming from.

The periods I look back on with affection are 92-94, 96 and 99. It's no coincidence that they followed periods of disappointment.

It's all down to light and shade.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Stickman

Agree a fair bit with the op and I understand that yes I am spoilt too.

If truth be told I expect a lot more dissapointment now from the actual performances (especially the bigger domestic games) then I think we're going to go all Utd on there asses and rain the shots in.

I think that the crowd certainly doesnt help though, must be like playing behind closed doors at times in a game for the players.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:45 AM
My Name is Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesScoresGoals2
I understand where you are coming from and for me its the OT crowd, its £#%&!ing woeful.
They eventually let out a roar on 84 mins, it really is £#%&!ing depressing.

Why do people go to matches and 95% of the crowd don't sign/cheer?
Agreed. Old Trafford is dire apart from one or two matches a season. It's better watching it in the pub.

That's my main reason for £#%&!ing it off in truth.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:47 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Keith
Agreed. Old Trafford is dire apart from one or two matches a season. It's better watching it in the pub.

That's my main reason for £#%&!ing it off in truth.
I can't get my head around why someone would pay £35-£40 to go to a game and sit in silence/read a book/not make a noise.

Something seriously needs to be done.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Billy Baroo

wasn't underwhelmed last year by us beating the scouse past the post and equaling their record

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
I can't get my head around why someone would pay £35-£40 to go to a game and sit in silence/read a book/not make a noise.

Like what? Song sheets and a band? A singing section.

Sick of being told that I need to be jumping up and down and singing songs against the likes of Moscow and Bolton. It's %@#$&!s. Was never like that 20 years ago either despite people claiming it was.

The team and football gets the atmosphere it deserves. Look at the Spurs game last season, was there no atmosphere then?

Justify your decisions not to attend anymore however you like but I find it a cop-out to say 'oh it's the atmospheres fault'. You've got better stuff to be doing or to be spending your money and time on, simple as that.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM
HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon

Quote:

Japanese bird in the scoreboard last night filmed the FULL 90mins on her camcorder. YCNMIU.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Like what? Song sheets and a band? A singing section.

Sick of being told that I need to be jumping up and down and singing songs against the likes of Moscow and Bolton. It's %@#$&!s. Was never like that 20 years ago either despite people claiming it was.

The team and football gets the atmosphere it deserves. Look at the Spurs game last season, was there no atmosphere then?

Justify your decisions not to attend anymore however you like but I find it a cop-out to say 'oh it's the atmospheres fault'. You've got better stuff to be doing or to be spending your money and time on, simple as that.
Its not just the atmosphere carlo its the cost as well and I don't know what can be done about it.
There aren't enough local lads who go to OT imo and its a crying shame.

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:59 AM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyMackrelDoodleBonkon
Japanese bird in the scoreboard last night filmed the FULL 90mins on her camcorder. YCNMIU.
When she should have been stood on her seat singing the John O'Shea song for 90 minutes flicking the Vs at the 500 visiting supporters.

Bitch.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:00 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
When she should have been stood on her seat singing the John O'Shea song for 90 minutes flicking the Vs at the 500 visiting supporters.

Bitch.
Come on Carlo FFS, I'm not asking for none stop singing but that is a £#%&!ing joke

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:01 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
wasn't underwhelmed last year by us beating the scouse past the post and equaling their record
I think it's very obvious I'm not talking about the titles etc that we win, more about our style.

Some good points made above, some predictable.The point made about our crowd is spot on too.I used to go early 90's (when I was old enough to go on my own/with mates/without my dad.My first games were during the mid to late 80's.) through to about 3 years back when I could no longer afford it and the diff in atmosphere was jaw dropping.Some of our support, from what I could see were there, just to say that they were there.If that makes any sense."Oh yeah, Man U? Got 3 season tickets!I'm a die hard fan" a bit like the Tarquin/Gooner off the Fast Show.

One thing I will say that differs us from say Mourinho's Chelsea or Rafa's Liverpool, is that we'll always go out with an intention to win and not on to not lose.Sometimes we're just quite dull, especially at home.

I think the point I'm making is - our football just doesn't have the flair it once consistantly did.

Unread 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Smurf

Thumbs up Re: Does anyone watch us, even when we win, and feel a bit underwhelmed?

Quote:

Bitch.

I'm just imagining the sight of a small Japanese woman flicking the V's.
Closed Thread