United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-10-2010, 06:45 AM
borsuk

Question so, do we all hate footballers who are mercenaries

and have no love for or interest in the club apart from how many medals it can bring them?

Quote:
[SIZE="5"]Manchester United's Patrice Evra sees Wayne Rooney's point

In a dramatic week of contract wrangling, Rooney initially stated his clear desire to leave Old Trafford before performing a U-turn and signing a new five-year deal on Friday.

Evra was widely reported earlier that day as saying: "If one player in the team does not trust the others, he should not play in the team."

But the full-back, currently suspended from the France national team over his role as captain in their World Cup debacle, told the Sunday Mirror: "I know from experience that I could be in his situation one day and so could everyone. We are always open to him if he needs our help."

Central to Rooney's push for a move away was a claim that the club, burdened with debt ever since the Glazer family's takeover, could no longer match his ambition by attracting the world's top players.

And Evra acknowledged: "I myself would not play for this club if I knew we were not strong enough to win the league. That is why we all play for Manchester United.

"At this moment, I think everyone just needs to focus on their own job again and we will see at the end of the season. I agree with the criticism that United have not had the winning mentality this season.

"We draw, we win and then we draw again and, of course, people will talk about this not being the same United because we are already behind Chelsea in the league.

"I know this is not normal for us, but after what has happened this week we need to make sure we win against Stoke and then everything will look better.

"I only stay in Manchester to win trophies and my message is that if people think that United are finished they are making a big mistake. I say this because it is the truth and I believe it."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...eys-point.html

love paddy etc.

hate the scouse @#%&! etc.

Unread 25-10-2010, 07:33 AM
koppas

Default Re: so, do we all hate footballers who are mercenaries

Sounds like Paddy wants out to me.

Sell the @#%&!.

Unread 25-10-2010, 07:40 AM
elephantstone

Gone in january

Unread 25-10-2010, 07:41 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
gone in january
nqat

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Switching Off

Its a bit of a stretch to link being a mercenary with craving success. Mercenaries generally are those that move (or stay) for the money, rather than the chance to win trophies. Or have I missed something?

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:22 AM
koppas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Its a bit of a stretch to link being a mercenary with craving success. Mercenaries generally are those that move (or stay) for the money, rather than the chance to win trophies. Or have I missed something?
Yup, totally.

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party.

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:24 AM
PaulParkers

I think we all need to wake up and smell the dog shit. Once Scholes, Giggs and Nev pack it in I dont think we'll ever see anyone play for United that genuinely gives a shit about the club other than for personal reasons.

That's just the way it is.

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Yup, totally.

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party.

Seriously though, I don't expect United players to love the club like I do. If I played for Inter, i'd have a sopft spot for them, and i'd want them to do well, but im not gonna be going through United emotions when they play. It's not natural. As long as they give their best in the shirt they're ok by me.

However, if they start to raise "concerns" about the lack of money to spend, and then take another £90k a week out of the coffers, that's when they start to look like mercenaries.

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:26 AM
tony tabletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkersPubes
I think we all need to wake up and smell the dog shit. Once Scholes, Giggs and Nev pack it in I dont think we'll ever see anyone play for United that genuinely gives a shit about the club other than for personal reasons.

That's just the way it is.
I agree, we'll be seeing a higher turnover of players, no point in getting players names on the back of your replicas

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony tabletop
I agree, we'll be seeing a higher turnover of players, no point in getting players names on the back of your replicas

Particularly ones who don't even play for your team eh?

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:44 AM
carlosartorial

This whole debate bores me.

They are all mercenaries, some stay for life, others move on.

The fun is in supporting them while they are here.

Let's move on.

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:49 AM
tony tabletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Particularly ones who don't even play for your team eh?
It's £#%&!in boring now you thick @#%&!. Keep repeating the same old jokes, they'll be funny eventually.

Unread 25-10-2010, 08:50 AM
carlosartorial

Thumbs up Re: so, do we all hate footballers who are mercenaries

Quote:
It's £#%&!in boring now you thick @#%&!. Keep repeating the same old jokes, they'll be funny eventually.

Yhgr

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:53 AM
irk

Quote:
Or a massive tattoo

Unread 25-10-2010, 10:55 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

no problem with what evra said, the problem with rooney is he tried to £#%&! us over whilst we're still one of the two best in the country and definitely the best english team in europe

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Red in Asia

Quote:
I have Rooney on mine

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Cream

we're a good, strong franchise. brand awareness is stellar.

love wazza and the guys.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:24 AM
tony tabletop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red in Asia
I have Rooney on mine
Are you 14?

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:26 AM
believe

Really though who gives a £#%&! what the players earn? If you pay your money would you not want to see the best players at United whether they are on 30 quid or 30 thousand a week? The only problem is when the club openly use the club as a leverage tool ala Rooney and Rio.

Unread 25-10-2010, 11:27 AM
Red in Asia

Quote:
Are you 14?

No haha i 18 bro.
Closed Thread