United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Mr_Ed

Default Re: Lads, Why does the team just not feel right?

We have lost the worlds 2nd best player (or maybe best - not for this topic) so we were always going to suffer as a result..

Valencia is getting better, there is promise with Squidword too on the other flank. When we get a settled back 4 again we will probably have a much better look about us.

I do worry we don't have the firepower to break teams down for one reason or another but I'm sure that will come with time. Let's get them all fit for the new year and see what happens.

Unread 16-12-2009, 12:41 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinger
The stats say we are a better team going forward, we've scored more goals and have a better points tally than after the same amount of fixtures last season. As for Ronaldo I thought he was below his usual high standard last year, he didn't look interested for the most part.

The team haven't been playing great football for a few seasons now whats missing is a genuine world class midielder who can run games from start to finish, the midfield is best described as functional.
I don't find that surprising, don't think we put in a better performance last season than our one against Spurs this year either. May be corrected on this. At the moment we are grinding our way through a dreadful defensive injury crisis.

Unread 16-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Stickman

I've a funny feeling there will be a fair shake up this summer.

Id imagine the following players are far from 'safe'

Vidic
Nani
Anderson
Carrick
Berbatov

And thats not having a go at them, they're just the ones I could see offers being entertained for if they were to come in. And all bar Nani play in the keyest of areas if SAF did decide this current squad needed new direction.

Unread 16-12-2009, 12:43 PM
carlosartorial

Our problems at the moment are nothing to do with not having Ronaldo, our defence and keeper are £#%&!ed.

waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
I don't like the way you started your title with "Lads", it's a bit weird. Like you're some middle class £#%&!er from the home counties trying to fit in and failing.
Like David Cameron

Tory @#%&!

dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
I wouldn't worry about the piss-taking about 'Lads'.

However, the capital letter on the 'Why' may well set off some of the Grammar Police so watch your back

Personally - I'd bring back RvN for 6 months and then make a swoop in the transfer market next summer and get Huntelaar.

Nani and Valencia will develop nicely - we'll be right as rain soon enough.
Possibly, starting to get the distinct impression that it won't be at United though

Unread 16-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Zorg

Let's face it, Wolves pretty much deliberately lost.

Unread 16-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Sparky***

fulham is going to be a very hard game game at the weekend.

we'll do well to get a win, especially if we have to play carrick and de laet as centre halves.

Unread 16-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Barracuda

The injuries are obviously not helping matters, but in general I think we've got too many players.

There must be best part of 30 players being continually rotated, and that just means you're never going to get any settled team. SAF has decided that is the way to go when you're aiming at all the competitions you're in for and it's very hard to argue it doesn't get results.

But while these tactics get the job done efficiently, it tends to mean you only see really good play in fits and starts. Over the past few years we've won all kinds, yet we never really seem to hit top gear and sustain it.

I'd like to see a squad with about 5 or 6 less players - but better players who suit whatever system we play. At the moment we seem to have a midfield and attack that can't really all play one system correctly - we seem a bit disjointed.

We're not a million miles away, we could probably lose several ineffective players quite comfortably, replace them with half as many more suitable players - and end up with a better and more cohesive team.

Having the money to be able to do it is another matter though.

Unread 16-12-2009, 01:40 PM
PaulParkers

We're not that far off in my opinion. We miss Rio (dodgy form aside) and I think we need 2 players, a midfield player who goes past the front and a centre forward with pace to burn. I love Berbs he oozes class but he slows our game down so much.

That said once everyone is fit and hopefully that will be in time for the run-in as long as we're within 2 wins of being top of the table I think we'll be fine and make it 4 on the bounce.

Unread 16-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda
The injuries are obviously not helping matters, but in general I think we've got too many players.

There must be best part of 30 players being continually rotated, and that just means you're never going to get any settled team. SAF has decided that is the way to go when you're aiming at all the competitions you're in for and it's very hard to argue it doesn't get results.

But while these tactics get the job done efficiently, it tends to mean you only see really good play in fits and starts. Over the past few years we've won all kinds, yet we never really seem to hit top gear and sustain it.

I'd like to see a squad with about 5 or 6 less players - but better players who suit whatever system we play. At the moment we seem to have a midfield and attack that can't really all play one system correctly - we seem a bit disjointed.

We're not a million miles away, we could probably lose several ineffective players quite comfortably, replace them with half as many more suitable players - and end up with a better and more cohesive team.

Having the money to be able to do it is another matter though.
You make a good point sir.

Our best football since we got our arse in gear so to speak was played in the first half of the 06-07 season. Everybody knew what the best team was,

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Saha

And about 10 of those started the majority of league games (when fit). Fast forward to today and we havent got a £#%&!ing clue whos playing.

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:36 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

Our best football since we got our arse in gear so to speak was played in the first half of the 06-07 season. Everybody knew what the best team was,

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Saha

And about 10 of those started the majority of league games (when fit). Fast forward to today and we havent got a £#%&!ing clue whos playing.
And we limped over the line at the end of that season because most of that team were, quite literally, exhausted - a Chelsea side that played vastly inferior football for most of that year, BUT also had a deeper squad, thus only just missed catching us (and beat us in the cup final, of course) Getting utterly trounced in Milan was part of that fatigue too, of course

SAF knew that, so significantly strengthened the squad that summer, absolutely correctly imho view.

Personally I don't quite buy this revisionism about our football getting worse since 2006/07 - the following season we played some absolutely exhilerating stuff, but with greater maturity which enabled us to win the CL and get that monkey off Fergie's back

Last season much (but not all) of our play was less exciting to watch, admittedly. But I would put much of that down to the fact it became obvious early on just who our chief rivals for the league were going to be - risk taking became that much more risky when it raised the very real possibility of handing THEM the title

There was of course the whole Ronaldo saga as well unsettling the team - as for this, the first post-CR7 season, we have played some crap football (the Burnley game still makes me wince) but also some very attractive, promising stuff as well. Those whingeing about it ARE spoilt - sorry to come over all "Top Red", but it's true

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
And we limped over the line at the end of that season because most of that team were, quite literally, exhausted - a Chelsea side that played vastly inferior football for most of that year, BUT also had a deeper squad, thus only just missed catching us (and beat us in the cup final, of course) Getting utterly trounced in Milan was part of that fatigue too, of course

SAF knew that, so significantly strengthened the squad that summer, absolutely correctly imho view.

Personally I don't quite buy this revisionism about out football getting worse since 2006/07 - the following season we played some absolutely exhilerating stuff, but with greater maturity which enabled us to win the CL and get that minkey off Fergie's back

Last season much (not all) of our play was less exciting to watch, admittedly. But I would put much of that down to the fact it became obvious early on just who our chief rivals for the league were going to be - risk taking became that much more risky when it risked handing THEM the title

There was of course the whole Ronaldo saga as well unsettling the team - as for this, the first post-CR7 season, we have played some crap football (the Burnley game still makes me wince) but also some very attractive, promising stuff as well. Those whingeing about it ARE spoilt - sorry to come over all "Top Red", but it's true
Where do you live mate?

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:39 PM
florentino ariza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman

VDS
Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Ronaldo
Carrick
Scholes
Giggs

Rooney
Saha

agreed

ronnie and layne looney playing off saha was lethal

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:40 PM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Where do you live mate?
Atlantis.

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:42 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Where do you live mate?
See the top of my posts (not the first time I have said this)

Unread 16-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by florentino ariza
agreed

ronnie and layne looney playing off saha was lethal
Remember last season at the start Redknapp saying we're not the same team without Saha and would struggle

Unread 16-12-2009, 04:03 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redordead
I like the optimism, but am not feeling it. With a solid back four i am sure we will be a better team going forward - Rio especially missed. I just cant get excited by Valencia,park berbatov - maybe its just the lack of the worlds best player.
marlo?

Unread 16-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
See the top of my posts (not the first time I have said this)
Who's the bird ?

Unread 16-12-2009, 04:12 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo
Who's the bird ?
Not watched the BBC weather reports recently then??
Closed Thread