United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:57 PM
armchair

Default Is Van Gaal damaging the United brand internationally?

If you were a yank getting into football in the last couple of seasons what side would you look forward to watching?

We're like the 'soccer' joke from the simpsons

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:59 PM
red in cumbria

Can he really damage it any more than you know who did??

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:00 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
If you were a yank getting into football in the last couple of seasons what side would you look forward to watching?

We're like the 'soccer' joke from the simpsons

Absolutely.

Not just abroad but look at the amount of kids in the UK who would usually bandwagon United but are now Barca, Madrid or even bloody City fans?

The United 'brand' of exciting football, passion, joy and never giving up has been pissed on by our last two managerial appointments.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:00 PM
Jez Quigley

I've been saying this at work for awhile now.

United didn't get so big just by winning titles, otherwise Porto/Pathianikos/Sparta Prague or whatever would be known in Africa etc.

United had glamour, excitement and were great box office.

That's what attracts people far and wide and makes them dream.

We needed to steady the ship but Jesus, much more of this and we will really suffer.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:13 PM
saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

United didn't get so big just by winning titles, otherwise Porto/Pathianikos/Sparta Prague or whatever would be known in Africa etc.

We needed to steady the ship but Jesus, much more of this and we will really suffer.
Pal you nailed it better than I did.

The club has to be number 1, over any individual. Ferie's no longer here.

Mad to see people slating legends like Scholesy for the sake of defending a dutch megalomaniac who has been part of our history for 2 minutes....

We will win the league this season btw if we get rid of him within a month.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM
red in cumbria

People "slate" Scholes because they suspect he has his own agenda - ie getting his mate Giggsy in.

I would be a lot happier with LvG being binned off this summer if Giggs also £#%&!ed off somewhere, nqat.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

Yep this is exactly what I was getting at. There was always something cavalier about United and ok it cost us but we've gone total roundhead with lvg. And it's grim.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM
Sparky***

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Can he really damage it any more than you know who did??
Who mate?

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Zorg

Americans being put off is the silver lining tbh.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:34 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Who mate?

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM
fix up look SHARPE

is it just me or do we seem to be on TV less. seems like we've had already had more saturday 3 o clocks than in whole previous seasons.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Who mate?
It is a valid point, though

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:38 PM
armchair

This comes from reading this article earlier

Premier League: How football 'made in England' got big in USA
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34949825

and specifically this quote:
"But many fans here are just falling in love with it now. That means they don't necessarily think Man Utd and Liverpool are that good.They might prefer Southampton or Crystal Palace or Bournemouth. It's a free-for-all!"

If I was new to the game or english football I think I'd probably support crystal palace or maybe spurs.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM
TheKitchenSink

No African reds on LVG's conscience yet.

Unread 05-12-2015, 06:43 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
This comes from reading this article earlier

Premier League: How football 'made in England' got big in USA
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/34949825

and specifically this quote:
"But many fans here are just falling in love with it now. That means they don't necessarily think Man Utd and Liverpool are that good.They might prefer Southampton or Crystal Palace or Bournemouth. It's a free-for-all!"
fwiw, among the Academy kids I coach, their favourite players are flair players or goal scorers - Hazard, Aguero, Alexis, Ronnie and Messi obviously, etc. There's nothing about current United that is going to excite a 14-year-old from across an ocean. If you're under 14, you probably never even saw Ronaldo play for United.

Unread 05-12-2015, 07:18 PM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
fwiw, among the Academy kids I coach, their favourite players are flair players or goal scorers - Hazard, Aguero, Alexis, Ronnie and Messi obviously, etc. There's nothing about current United that is going to excite a 14-year-old from across an ocean. If you're under 14, you probably never even saw Ronaldo play for United.
That's a terrible thought but completely understandable.

No kid is going to go to bed at night dreaming of what we've become.

We're no better than Villa to a whole generation

Unread 05-12-2015, 10:03 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Genuinely not sure I'll ever get over the prospect of Chad Patriot Jr III in Hope Springs, Nevada wanting an Eden Hazard duvet for Xmas while the United global brand prompted awareness levels dip two points in quarterly focus group tracking analysis.

Unread 05-12-2015, 10:08 PM
utd99

So Chad is both the second and the third?

Unread 05-12-2015, 10:09 PM
Charlestown Rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
So Chad is both the second and the third?
Don't know really - I made him up.
Closed Thread