Unread 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM
hopkins

it's all getting a bit

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
£#%&!ing hell lad, give it a rest.

Yes, you hate Mourinho. You want him to fail and belittle everything he does and achieves. Now, you're twisting someone's post to suit your agenda. Almost gone beyond Saffers' obsessive hatred with LvG. Riccers with Moyes

The guy never even mentioned the League Cup or EL. He said two trophies! He had 4 trophies he could have delivered last year. He delivered none! That was his point
You're a bit dim aren't you clarkie lad. You need to stop butting in into conversations you have no business in tbh.

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yes, but 1 of the 2 weakest competitions he wasn't even in.
He would have been better off getting 3rd place in his Champions League group and going into the Europa and trying to win, instead of getting embarrassed and his arse handed to him by Monaco in the last 16 of the Champions League...

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:47 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
He would have been better off getting 3rd place in his Champions League group and going into the Europa and trying to win, instead of getting embarrassed and his arse handed to him by Monaco in the last 16 of the Champions League...
Gave him the opportunity to scout 2 of his summer signings first hand though

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:51 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Gave him the opportunity to scout 2 of his summer signings first hand though
and neither doing well... The left back is out for the season and will not come back the same player he was before the injury and other one is too light weight and has spent most of the season on the bench and is well doing the pecking order..

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
and neither doing well... The left back is out for the season and will not come back the same player he was before the injury and other one is too light weight and has spent most of the season on the bench and is well doing the pecking order..
Harsh on Mendy. £#%&!ing hell, what chance has Zlat got ? Not shocked to see Silva struggle during his first season.. doubt the PED's have kicked in sufficiently as yet..

Unread 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Harsh on Mendy. £#%&!ing hell, what chance has Zlat got ? Not shocked to see Silva struggle during his first season.. doubt the PED's have kicked in sufficiently as yet..
In retrospect, Mendy was a poor signing tbf given that he was going to do his ACL a few games into the season. Not sure what Pep was thinking tbh

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM
andyroo

Guardiola did rather underachieve last season. I think it's fair to say he's on target for a considerable improvement in this.

Mourinho probably did better than many predicted in winning those two trophies. Not as well as his supporters predicted though, had they offered up potentially winning League Cup, Europa and sixth in the league as "progress" before he'd got the job they'd probably have been laughed at... but fair play he got his two trophies. Neither of which we can win this season, so by this reckoning he has to deliver the Cup (and/or hell the Champs League) if he wants to be considered an ongoing success. Not my benchmark but the "oh but he won two trophies" lads'.

Neither of which is supposed to imply a direct comparison. I appreciate that the challenge at each of the two clubs is substantially different. They're both weird uptight @#%&!s but for neither is that a requirement to not want them to manage your team. My main concerns with Mourinho were about his over-defensive football, and that the negative experiences at Madrid and Chelsea have changed him too much for the worse, and I still don't think he's done much to counter that impression. Fair play if you think otherwise on the basis of a couple of smart comments in press conferences.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:03 PM
ScholesGingerSheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
Sorry dunk, things can get lost in interpretation sometimes. What I was trying to say was that i don't think that any other manager (including Pep) could have come to us and won 2 trophies last year and got us to 2nd in the PL by now.
Michael Laudrup won the League Cup with Swansea, lets not pretend it's the ultimate test of managerial quality, Seville won the Europa League how many times on the trot and their manager still went on to lose the French League with PSG.

It strikes me as every time a manager starts plateauing we immediately resort to the shit @#%&! defence, and maybe our squad isn't good enough to win the league although again Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton and any number of other honest triers at Leicester 2 years ago suggest otherwise, but the thing that can't be claimed is that our players aren't good enough to play competent football 99% of the time, yet over Christmas and for quite a lot of this season, we've looked clueless in the final third and our overall distribution and movement is nowhere near as cohesive as some of our rivals, and I'm sorry but I do believe that Pep could've come in and got our squad functioning better than Mourinho has.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:15 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Guardiola did rather underachieve last season. I think it's fair to say he's on target for a considerable improvement in this.

Mourinho probably did better than many predicted in winning those two trophies. Not as well as his supporters predicted though, had they offered up potentially winning League Cup, Europa and sixth in the league as "progress" before he'd got the job they'd probably have been laughed at... but fair play he got his two trophies. Neither of which we can win this season, so by this reckoning he has to deliver the Cup (and/or hell the Champs League) if he wants to be considered an ongoing success. Not my benchmark but the "oh but he won two trophies" lads'.

Neither of which is supposed to imply a direct comparison. I appreciate that the challenge at each of the two clubs is substantially different. They're both weird uptight @#%&!s but for neither is that a requirement to not want them to manage your team. My main concerns with Mourinho were about his over-defensive football, and that the negative experiences at Madrid and Chelsea have changed him too much for the worse, and I still don't think he's done much to counter that impression. Fair play if you think otherwise on the basis of a couple of smart comments in press conferences.

Good post andyroo. I've just heard similar views from my next door neighbour to be honest. He holds that Jose actually works best at clubs with little historic success such as Chelsea (the first time) or those who are absolutely desperate to win the big prizes again such as Inter, where-as we are a totally different case.

Are we 'still' very much post Fergie, not really knowing where they stand in the world of football? As fans we're hungry for league titles again and reading and trying to gauge opinion on here I reckon many of us would happily put up with Jose if he brings that, but there is also a strong sense on here (and in your post) that United is meant to be about more than just winning the way Jose wants to do it. It's not very Manchester United.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Clarkie

Quote:
You're a bit dim aren't you clarkie lad. You need to stop butting in into conversations you have no business in tbh.
Grab a spoon, you'll know what to do

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Good post andyroo. I've just heard similar views from my next door neighbour to be honest. He holds that Jose actually works best at clubs with little historic success such as Chelsea (the first time) or those who are absolutely desperate to win the big prizes again such as Inter, where-as we are a totally different case.

Are we 'still' very much post Fergie, not really knowing where they stand in the world of football? As fans we're hungry for league titles again and reading and trying to gauge opinion on here I reckon many of us would happily put up with Jose if he brings that, but there is also a strong sense on here (and in your post) that United is meant to be about more than just winning the way Jose wants to do it. It's not very Manchester United.
Yeah maybe. Being the best of the rest, which we just about are somehow, isn't all that bad, it's better than the last four years after all, but as James said "if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor".

And we looked so very ordinary in the derby and went on a month-long crisis of confidence after it, which doesn't make one feel very inspired about our prospects of closing the gap.

I suppose we probably need to stabilise at regularly finishing top three - and being a stable and efficient team that can integrate new pieces of the puzzle rather than having each new player burdened with the onerous task of improving us substantially on his own, which is killing the likes of Pogba.

Again there Mourinho having proved himself the model of a Stable Genius™ in his last two jobs does give one pause.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholesGingerSheen
Michael Laudrup won the League Cup with Swansea, lets not pretend it's the ultimate test of managerial quality, Seville won the Europa League how many times on the trot and their manager still went on to lose the French League with PSG.

It strikes me as every time a manager starts plateauing we immediately resort to the shit c*** defence, and maybe our squad isn't good enough to win the league although again Danny Drinkwater, Marc Albrighton and any number of other honest triers at Leicester 2 years ago suggest otherwise, but the thing that can't be claimed is that our players aren't good enough to play competent football 99% of the time, yet over Christmas and for quite a lot of this season, we've looked clueless in the final third and our overall distribution and movement is nowhere near as cohesive as some of our rivals, and I'm sorry but I do believe that Pep could've come in and got our squad functioning better than Mourinho has.
Fair enough ScholesGingerSheen you make a very valid argument. Personally though I can't help but think, that last season Mourinho won two trophies, which was more than Pep, Klopp and Wenger put together.

We qualified for CL by winning a European Cup, the same cup that Klopp gambled everything on and lost the year before. Even without European games last season, Klopp barely took Liverpool to a top four finish. Pep’s City weren't that good and Arsenal finished fifth.

Granted, I reckon we're missing a couple of full backs, a right winger and a world class midfielder alongside Pogba. It is just the way it is at the moment. Even so, we're second in the league and have won our CL group.

At the end of the day, in almost any other season, we'd be right in the middle of a title battle, but this City team is breaking records, its something special. But I don't see as much being made of Spurs stuttering campaign, they were supposed to get better and better, or Chelsea's drop off from being champions, or even Arsenal's piss poor campaign, its all focused on us not being able to catch City because it's Citeh.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:33 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkie
Grab a spoon, you'll know what to do

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:37 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Yeah maybe. Being the best of the rest, which we just about are somehow, isn't all that bad, it's better than the last four years after all, but as James said "if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor".

And we looked so very ordinary in the derby and went on a month-long crisis of confidence after it, which doesn't make one feel very inspired about our prospects of closing the gap.

I suppose we probably need to stabilise at regularly finishing top three - and being a stable and efficient team that can integrate new pieces of the puzzle rather than having each new player burdened with the onerous task of improving us substantially on his own, which is killing the likes of Pogba.

Again there Mourinho having proved himself the model of a Stable Genius™ in his last two jobs does give one pause.

You're dead right, if we hadn't seen such riches we could live with being poor and because of that i think it's easy for us to see Mourinho as this 'past it' bad guy, slowly losing his mojo but I honestly think that he's smarter than that.

We're currently second behind a team playing incredible football and breaking records. If Mourinho wants to stay long-term and the club want him to stay I still think he will close the gap and win more silverware in the process.

The bloody problem is this backdrop of Pep and the way the media are portraying him as sucking the blood out of Mourinho and Citeh sucking the blood out of United!

In all honesty if we could take Pep and City out of the equation i reckon Jose would be beaming and we'd be top of the league.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:40 PM
andyroo

Quote:
You're dead right, if we hadn't seen such riches we could live with being poor and because of that i think it's easy for us to see Mourinho as this 'past it' bad guy, slowly losing his mojo but I honestly think that he's smarter than that.

We're currently second behind a team playing incredible football and breaking records. If Mourinho wants to stay long-term and the club want him to stay I still think he will close the gap and win more silverware in the process.

The bloody problem is this backdrop of Pep and the way the media are portraying him as sucking the blood out of Mourinho and Citeh sucking the blood out of United!

In all honesty if we could take Pep and City out of the equation i reckon Jose would be beaming and we'd be top of the league.
Oh yeah for sure, but how many times could our enemies have said that about us and Freggle?

Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, hell even Chelsea under Mourinho could've said the same thing.

It's all very well to sulk about how unfair it is. Anyone can do that.

Unread 08-01-2018, 02:56 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Oh yeah for sure, but how many times could our enemies have said that about us and Freggle?

Newcastle, Arsenal, Liverpool, City, hell even Chelsea under Mourinho could've said the same thing.

It's all very well to sulk about how unfair it is. Anyone can do that.
It's mad really isn't it, Mourinho's tried and tested formula of caution versus the top teams and playing freely versus the rest would have seen us challenging for the title this season if it weren't for Citeh's ridiculous football. Runners up won't be a cause for celebration if we get there, which i still think we will, but perhaps it should be this season?

Unread 08-01-2018, 03:11 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
It's mad really isn't it, Mourinho's tried and tested formula of caution versus the top teams and playing freely versus the rest would have seen us challenging for the title this season if it weren't for Citeh's ridiculous football. Runners up won't be a cause for celebration if we get there, which i still think we will, but perhaps it should be this season?
No. It isn't.

It would however be good progress to go from 6th to 2nd in one leap.

Unread 08-01-2018, 03:22 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
No. It isn't.

It would however be good progress to go from 6th to 2nd in one leap.

Okay, let's call it good progress then. But I think some of us, as supporters, need to be a bit fairer to Jose when compairing him with Pep though.

Let's be honest, City were in far better shape when Pep took over as the suggestion is that they had been planning for his arrival. We on the other-hand were on our 3rd post Fergie manager, none of whom had been planned for. Throw in the bumbling Ed Wooward who appears to be way out of his depth in buying and selling players and it could be argued that we've been a mess for 3 years.

I expected us to finish 2nd this year behind City (but not quite so far behind) but then who saw City winning 18 of 20 or what-ever it is they're on now? That's ridiculous form and Jose (or anyone else) shouldn't be criticised for getting nowhere near that.

Unread 08-01-2018, 03:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Okay, let's call it good progress then. But I think some of us, as supporters, need to be a bit fairer to Jose when compairing him with Pep though.

Let's be honest, City were in far better shape when Pep took over as the suggestion is that they had been planning for his arrival. We on the other-hand were on our 3rd post Fergie manager, none of whom had been planned for. Throw in the bumbling Ed Wooward who appears to be way out of his depth in buying and selling players and it could be argued that we've been a mess for 3 years.

I expected us to finish 2nd this year behind City (but not quite so far behind) but then who saw City winning 18 of 20 or what-ever it is they're on now? That's ridiculous form and Jose (or anyone else) shouldn't be criticised for getting nowhere near that.
You're preaching to the choir my good man.

To think people on here and all round the media scoffed in derision when Jose said that the 280 odd million he's spent isn't enough.

Then....low and behold a mid table defender goes for 75 million and a decent attacking midfielder goes for 145 million. £#%&!ing hell. And you wonder why 280 isn't enough to rebuild an entire team.

£#%&!ing hell. We managed to get an international centre back in the summer for under half of what Van Dijk costs. That has to be some sort of bargain.
Closed Thread