Unread 17-02-2018, 07:39 PM
TheFatGoth

Got to be a wum now ffs

Unread 17-02-2018, 07:53 PM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Got to be a wum now ffs

Just said as much on the match thread. The linesman kept his £#%&!ing flag down so VAR has been used to change a correct decision to an incorrect decision. Madness, utter, utter madness.

Unread 17-02-2018, 08:42 PM
red in cumbria

Embarrassing.

Unread 17-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Wellinever

Default Who drew the Wiggly, lines.. forgot their 'T' Square?

All that technology, able to catch the milli-sec action yet nobody can draw a straight line, have the 'remote' refs not heard of 'T' squares?

I think the ref's have a '5th Column' plot to undermine VAR before it takes over their jobs,... modern day luddites all of them?

Unread 17-02-2018, 11:57 PM
TheFatGoth

Imagine if it'd had been a last minute winner in a cup final or summit. "Please hold your celebrations for 5 minutes whilst we check the replays"

Game killer

Unread 18-02-2018, 01:45 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Deciding whether a player is an inch onside or offside is not how var should be used. Variations in close decisions make £#%&! all difference over time. It’s clear bad decisions, injustices, that need correcting by var. That’s all it should be used for.

Given how many goals are close offside calls, it takes away all the joy of scoring as you can’t celebrate for 5 minutes. Absolutely shit.

What about chances that are given offside, play is stopped and then var shows it as onside and the chance is lost? Meaning close decisions either way now no longer average out. Does play carry on now instead, the player sticks it in the net and then we wait 5 minutes to see if it stands? It’s %@#$&!s. Solving a problem that doesn’t need solving. It’s creating a problem.

Unread 18-02-2018, 02:38 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
Deciding whether a player is an inch onside or offside is not how var should be used. Variations in close decisions make £#%&! all difference over time. It’s clear bad decisions, injustices, that need correcting by var. That’s all it should be used for.

Given how many goals are close offside calls, it takes away all the joy of scoring as you can’t celebrate for 5 minutes. Absolutely shit.

What about chances that are given offside, play is stopped and then var shows it as onside and the chance is lost? Meaning close decisions either way now no longer average out. Does play carry on now instead, the player sticks it in the net and then we wait 5 minutes to see if it stands? It’s %@#$&!s. Solving a problem that doesn’t need solving. It’s creating a problem.
Particularly when the officials don't seem to be able to implement it properly. They took 10 minutes debating whether to disallow a goal for having a kneecap offside this afternoon.

Unread 18-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
Imagine if it'd had been a last minute winner in a cup final or summit. "Please hold your celebrations for 5 minutes whilst we check the replays"

Game killer
Imagine? It’d only be a matter of time before some attention seeking #@&%! has to get in on the act in the most dramatic circumstances.

Unread 18-02-2018, 09:39 AM
Kangared

Its been a shambles so far. It should begin and end with goal line technology & post game referrals of bad tackles & blatant dives.

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:27 AM
armchair

so apparently your hand can put you in an offside position but you cannot be played onside by a defenders hand.

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Here’s a clue for the people trialing this about what a clearly bad decision is - if it takes more than a few replays and more than 10 seconds to make a decision the ref’s decision isn’t a bad one and it stands. If the var is finding it difficult to instantly see it was wrong and needs to get forensic about it such as deciding whether a kneecap is onside or offside then the ref’s decision stands.

Ruling a goal offside should be a 5 second delay at worst. A few seconds into the celebration. Like a linesman putting his flag up late. But if you use it to disallow offside goals you also have to allow every offside decision to play to its conclusion so good chances aren’t prevented by a player incorrectly being given offside when he was half a yard on. Fine margins either way don’t matter.

If it needs 8 minutes to decide then it’s clearly a close decision and therefore not a bad one either way and the ref’s instant decision stands. How long would it take to decide maradona’s hand ball goal was the wrong decision? That’s what var is for.

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:46 AM
FraUtd

Is it the referees using it to check or validate their own decisions?
Or is the video ref telling everyone to wait while he goes over it for 5mins?

Early on I'd thought they were going for the tennis approach where the manager or captain gets a couple of challenges a half or something.

They definitely need to agree a better approach as it's all over the place right now

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:47 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd

Early on I'd thought they were going for the tennis approach where the manager or captain gets a couple of challenges a half or something.

They definitely need to agree a better approach as it's all over the place right now
Yeah I think challenges are a much better approach

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:51 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
so apparently your hand can put you in an offside position but you cannot be played onside by a defenders hand.
Where did this come from, Armers? Never heard of it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraUtd

This was obviously the video ref trying to be the nations hero

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:54 AM
Fat Al

In the NFL, the video ref has to conclusively show that an incorrect decision has been made, else the ruling in the field stands.

Unread 18-02-2018, 11:55 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Where did this come from, Armers? Never heard of it before.

think i watched it on yank tv and they were saying knees were what counted not hands. i'd never heard that.

Unread 18-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

think i watched it on yank tv and they were saying knees were what counted not hands. i'd never heard that.
Surely some yank interpretation. I’m sure it would’ve been raised before?

FWIW, looks to me like the defenders arm was keeping Mata’s knee onside. Farcical being pulled up when it’s that close.

Unread 18-02-2018, 01:00 PM
RemisMoses

Quote:
Only if it’s Maradona.

Unread 18-02-2018, 01:16 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
1 a game which is renewed if the challenge is successful.

Unread 18-02-2018, 01:19 PM
jem

Quote:
don't think this works for proper football. the game shouldn't be stopped until a review has taken place in the booth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
In the NFL, the video ref has to conclusively show that an incorrect decision has been made, else the ruling in the field stands.
which is fine, if you have a natural break. for football, the decision should have to be clearly wrong after a quick review. if the video assistant thinks it might be wrong and takes five minutes to look at it, it is a decision that should have stood. nobody wants to see five minutes faffing about on borderline decisions that people are still going to argue about.
Closed Thread