United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-12-2018, 04:11 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
So long as they can do what they want.
Like cover more ground against Cardiff than they did in any other game this season?

Unread 29-12-2018, 04:23 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
Like cover more ground against Cardiff than they did in any other game this season?
It's almost as if before they were being told to keep in a rigid shape and play within certain areas.

People mistaking not covering ground with not putting in effort.

It's quite obvious to me, even as a layman, that they were being told under Mourinho to surrender ground to the opposition and keep their shape at all costs, don't be dragged out of position and don't chase the ball high up the pitch.

None of that equates to a team that are going to run a lot really.

Unread 29-12-2018, 04:29 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Hard to say, as they don't tend to hire managers who do that. But it's something that always captivates fans and Madrid have been investing in young players in recent years so seems the right time to evolve. Unfortunately I think their realisation that they need to rival Barca on youth development is a key reason that Poch should be their main target. Hopefully Perez finds Mourinho too difficult to resist.
So it’s not an accusation that can be levelled at any RM manager really, given the environment they work in. Given his remit, Zidane did an amazing job, however it’s vastly different to what he would have to do here, and with vastly different tools. I don’t see his 30 months of success there being proof of him delivering anything we need.

Unread 29-12-2018, 04:33 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's almost as if before they were being told to keep in a rigid shape and play within certain areas.

People mistaking not covering ground with not putting in effort.

It's quite obvious to me, even as a layman, that they were being told under Mourinho to surrender ground to the opposition and keep their shape at all costs, don't be dragged out of position and don't chase the ball high up the pitch.

None of that equates to a team that are going to run a lot really.
It's not as black and white as 'Not trying' either.

I don't believe they don't care, but if they don't believe in what they're doing. If they don't have the confidence and support of the boss, they're not going to go the extra mile.

And then if they're given shit in public, dropped after one bad game, it's going to knock them.

They're simple beasts.

Unread 29-12-2018, 05:03 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
So it’s not an accusation that can be levelled at any RM manager really, given the environment they work in. Given his remit, Zidane did an amazing job, however it’s vastly different to what he would have to do here, and with vastly different tools. I don’t see his 30 months of success there being proof of him delivering anything we need.
Well you could take the Madrid job and develop young players. It's not as if Perez forbids it. But it clearly hasn't been a priority and guys like Mourinho and Ancelotti hardly have a track record for looking to the academy elsewhere. They're short-term focused managers.

If Madrid had hired Poch a few years ago or an LvG or Fergie in the past, they'd have brought through youth regardless on their own principle. Zidane to me appears another manager who probably works in the short term.

Quote:
No united manager will have authority. The second he disagrees with the wrong player, they’ll be in Woodward’s office with their agent and the rot will set in because woodward will back the player.
Authority can still be achieved. This United dressing room is hardly full of Real Madrid egomaniacs. But authority is achieved in a different way these days. Mourinho used to achieve it through personal and social skills; now he seems to try the old school disciplinarian routine. It's a strange change from him as he's lost so much of what made him.

But it's silly to think Poch, Klopp, Guardiola etc simply couldn't command our dressing room with whatever approach works for them.

Unread 29-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Well you could take the Madrid job and develop young players. It's not as if Perez forbids it. But it clearly hasn't been a priority and guys like Mourinho and Ancelotti hardly have a track record for looking to the academy elsewhere. They're short-term focused managers.

If Madrid had hired Poch a few years ago or an LvG or Fergie in the past, they'd have brought through youth regardless on their own principle. Zidane to me appears another manager who probably works in the short term.

Authority can still be achieved. This United dressing room is hardly full of Real Madrid egomaniacs. But authority is achieved in a different way these days. Mourinho used to achieve it through personal and social skills; now he seems to try the old school disciplinarian routine. It's a strange change from him as he's lost so much of what made him.

But it's silly to think Poch, Klopp, Guardiola etc simply couldn't command our dressing room with whatever approach works for them.
I don't even think mourinho was trying the old school disciplinarian route. I think he'd tried that, failed, so in the end resorted to just slagging them off all the time.

Unread 29-12-2018, 05:16 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
That’s not what happened to Mourinho.
Course not dunk.

Unread 29-12-2018, 05:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Course not dunk.
Keep your head buried, there’s a good lad.

Pro-Mou £#%&!ing muppet.

Unread 29-12-2018, 06:43 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I don't even think mourinho was trying the old school disciplinarian route. I think he'd tried that, failed, so in the end resorted to just slagging them off all the time.
Yep, that does seem very much like it. And it was about as successful as almost everybody predicted.

Unread 30-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Keep your head buried, there’s a good lad.

Pro-Mou £#%&!ing muppet.
I’m not pro mou. I’m pro giving an appointed manager 3 seasons, barring disaster. It’s not complicated.

My head is no more buried than yours. Unless you want to share your inside knowledge.

Unread 30-12-2018, 03:27 PM
dunk

Quote:
I’m not pro mou. I’m pro giving an appointed manager 3 seasons, barring disaster. It’s not complicated.

My head is no more buried than yours. Unless you want to share your inside knowledge.
%@#$&!s tbf. Mou was a disaster. He got at least 6 months longer than he should’ve. You’re sulking because you proclaimed him the best manager in the World and he was terrible.

Unread 30-12-2018, 04:53 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
I agree he got six months longer than he should.
Two years and six months.

Quote:
The Glazers don’t see city or Liverpool winning the league as a disaster. If they did, they’d have shown some footballing ambition in summer
Yeah. Sanctioning a £70m purchase of Harry Maguire on top of the hundreds of millions Mourinho had already £#%&!ed on assorted shit@#%&!s who fell out with him one by one really showed a lack of 'footballing' ambition.

Unread 30-12-2018, 04:57 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Woundwort
Two years and six months.
Makes sense. Yet again being unable to differentiate between not giving someone the job in the first place and what should happen once a manager has been given the job.

Unread 30-12-2018, 04:58 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
You appear a little clueless. My stance is any manager gets three years barring disaster. If you think that’s sucking someone off, that’s up to you. I don’t recall getting the same accusations over van gaal.
Willing to criticise Mourinho at all? You haven't up to now. It's always someone else's fault.

Quote:
Makes sense. Yet again being unable to differentiate between not giving someone the job in the first place and what should happen once a manager has been given the job.
That makes no sense. Try again.

Unread 30-12-2018, 04:59 PM
Cream

Quote:
Mourinho was done in the summer. This season wasn’t going any other way, as I posted numerous times months ago.

You appear a little clueless. My stance is any manager gets three years barring disaster. If you think that’s sucking someone off, that’s up to you. I don’t recall getting the same accusations over van gaal.

The Glazers don’t see city or Liverpool winning the league as a disaster btw. If they did, they’d have shown some footballing ambition in summer by backing or sacking the manager they’d just given a new contract.

I’m not sulking. I agree he got six months longer than he should. Once the club decided not to back him in the summer they should have got rid there and then. Just more incompetence from woodward and co, because they only see finance.
Correct stance.

Mou wanted out anyway.

Unread 30-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Willing to criticise Mourinho at all? You haven't up to now. It's always someone else's fault.
There’s no reason to post something when other people are posting it. I reply when I disagree in some way, usually about assumptions being made.

Think I’ve said quite a few times the football was shit. At other times it was showing signs of progress. I don’t apportion blame prematurely because without inside knowledge there’s no way to know where the fault lies until the manager has had a reasonable enough chance to address things.

Quote:
That makes no sense. Try again.
It does. Try again.

Unread 30-12-2018, 05:11 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
There’s no reason to post something when other people are posting it. I reply when I disagree in some way, usually about assumptions being made.
So no, then. Still can't drag yourself out of his arse.

Doesn't make sense btw because you've responded to the point you hoped I'd made. A manager who was a failure should never have been appointed. Obviously no chance of getting you to accept that though.

Unread 30-12-2018, 05:15 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
So no, then. Still can't drag yourself out of his arse.
I’m not up his arse, you simpleton. I don’t care who the manager is. I give them all the same chance, as previously described.

Quote:
Doesn't make sense btw because you've responded to the point you hoped I'd made. A manager who was a failure should never have been appointed. Obviously no chance of getting you to accept that though.
Mourinho shouldn’t have been appointed because he was a failure? Ok.

It doesn’t matter if you think he shouldn’t have been appointed. He was.

Unread 30-12-2018, 05:24 PM
General Woundwort

Quote:
I’m not up his arse, you simpleton. I don’t care who the manager is. I give them all the same chance, as previously described.
Then you're an idiot. Let's watch the club go down the toilet for 3 years because of Jammy's arbitrary 3-year period that nobody else gives a shit about.

Quote:
It doesn’t matter if you think he shouldn’t have been appointed.
Yes it does because it allows me to keep reminding the know-nothing spanners like you who were all for it.

Unread 30-12-2018, 08:20 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Mourinho shouldn’t have been appointed because he was a failure? Ok.
I mean, seriously?

Mourinho derangement syndrome is no more dignified than any other version.
Closed Thread