United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Blagger

Question Copa Libertadores Final

Fluminense vs LDU Quito, am I right in thinking this is tonight?

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM
The Watcher

Yea, it's on Setanta, 1:45am KO.

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Blagger

cheers, 4-2 to fluminense 1st leg wasn't it??

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagger
cheers, 4-2 to fluminense 1st leg wasn't it??
Nope. 4-2 to LDU.

Unread 02-07-2008, 03:59 PM
S/Side.Red

First leg was brilliant. Well worth staying up until 4am for.

Unread 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM
Sloppy

v bet http://www.utdforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84657

Unread 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Blagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Nope. 4-2 to LDU.
that's what i meant

Unread 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Coracao

do we get to thrash one of these two in December then?

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:05 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
do we get to thrash one of these two in December then?
I think usually the way it goes is the European club comes into the match with this kind of attitude, completely underestimating the opponent, and often losing.

South America is 25-22 up in finals at the moment. It's five each from the last ten.

Quito just went 1-0 up inside five minutes to silence the 92,000-strong Maracana crowd. Could be game over.

Unread 03-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Grimson

Flu hit back with 3 unanswered goals. 5-5 on aggregate, on to extra time.

Unread 03-07-2008, 03:59 AM
S/Side.Red

Thiago Neves has made himself a club legend if Flu go on to win this.

Considering the occasion, the quality and the importance of the goals and how they completely reversed a seemingly impossible situation, not to mention the fact that it's in the Maracana infront of 92,000 people, hat-tricks don't get much better than that.

Unread 03-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Grimson

I forgot they don't use away goals in the Final. Quite odd, considering they use them in the previous rounds. Bad luck for Flu.

Agreed about Neves - terrific performance.

Unread 03-07-2008, 04:39 AM
S/Side.Red

Just about the most worthwhile red card ever, there

Unread 03-07-2008, 05:01 AM
S/Side.Red

That ref should be struck off for letting Cevallos get away with that shit in the shootout. That he didn't allow the Neves pen to stand and let him continue to delay the kicks with the praying was an absolute joke.

Unread 03-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Serenity Now

Anyone notice the colour of the confetti when Liga lifted the trophy?

Unread 03-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
That ref should be struck off for letting Cevallos get away with that shit in the shootout. That he didn't allow the Neves pen to stand and let him continue to delay the kicks with the praying was an absolute joke.
In the South America the attitude is more to say well done to Cevallos for managing to get away with it. He's already being lauded for it.

Incidentally, I loved Guerron's answer when asked why Liga won: "Huevos, papá, huevos..."

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:10 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
In the South America the attitude is more to say well done to Cevallos for managing to get away with it. He's already being lauded for it.
Well, personally I don't see it that way. It's one thing to manage to delay the kicks, but to wait for the ref to blow his whistle and for the kicker to set off on his run-up, then make a complaint and stop the kick? I still have no idea how he got away with that. There was clearly absolutely no problem. I know they generally have a different attitude towards this type of thing but that shoul never be allowed to happen, imo.

Quote:
Incidentally, I loved Guerron's answer when asked why Liga won: "Huevos, papá, huevos..."
Putting the finger to his mouth after scoring his pen was a brave move. That guy is a beast. See the run he went on in the last minute of extra time which lead to Luiz Alberto's red card? I can't believe that was a guy who'd played for two hours. He also took a mile-long run-up for his penalty, too. Incredible athlete. Be interesting to see him in La Liga next season.

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Putting the finger to his mouth after scoring his pen was a brave move. That guy is a beast. See the run he went on in the last minute of extra time which lead to Luiz Alberto's red card? I can't believe that was a guy who'd played for two hours. He also took a mile-long run-up for his penalty, too. Incredible athlete. Be interesting to see him in La Liga next season.
Yep. With the exception of the away match at Estudiantes, where he still managed managed to piss them off with his tricks and got one of the rat stabbers sent off, he's really been very impressive every time I've watched LDU in the Libertadores this season. Probably the player of the tournament overall. Was pretty close to signing for Boca too

By the way, did you see that he arrived in Rio sporting a Flamengo shirt?

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:42 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Yep. With the exception of the away match at Estudiantes, where he still managed managed to piss them off with his tricks and got one of the rat stabbers sent off, he's really been very impressive every time I've watched LDU in the Libertadores this season. Probably the player of the tournament overall. Was pretty close to signing for Boca too

By the way, did you see that he arrived in Rio sporting a Flamengo shirt?
Nope, didn't see that, but he's clearly a wind-up merchant. The commentator actually said that he was owned by Boca at one point. Do you remember ever seeing him there? It might be in River's interest to get Dario Conca back. Looks a tidy player. Was also quite impressed with Thiago Silva at the back for Flu. I read an article by Tim Vickery on him a few months back and he looked a decent defender.

Unread 03-07-2008, 02:54 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Well, personally I don't see it that way. It's one thing to manage to delay the kicks, but to wait for the ref to blow his whistle and for the kicker to set off on his run-up, then make a complaint and stop the kick? I still have no idea how he got away with that. There was clearly absolutely no problem. I know they generally have a different attitude towards this type of thing but that shoul never be allowed to happen, imo.
Is there a rule regarding how quickly a penalty should be taken after the referee blows his whistle? The reason that Cevallos complained was because Neves seemed to take an inordinately long amount of time to take the shot after the whistle was blown. Not sure what the situation is there.

In any case, the attitude from the media and from the vast majority of people is that it was clever play by Cevallos. Even Neves himself simply remarked that Cevallos is an experienced keeper who knows how to take advantage of the nerves of his opponents.
Closed Thread