United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Fountz

Default Saturday just confirmed, why I'd have Rooney over Ronaldo every time..

..just my opinion.

Rooney, along with Vidic and Scholes looked to me like the only players who really wanted it.

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Ronaldo on the wing on his own with no fullback and no striker to cross the ball to and marked by at least two players = inaffective.

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Ronaldo is £#%&!ed, like most of the rest of the side. United have been running on empty for the last few weeks and Ronaldo has been possibly our most over-used player this season. He's been out of gas pretty much since the Roma home game. The shallow nature of our squad has hurt us in the last couple of weeks.

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:45 AM
mr.sitter

Quote:
Ronaldo is £#%&!ed, like most of the rest of the side. United have been running on empty for the last few weeks and Ronaldo has been possibly our most over-used player this season. He's been out of gas pretty much since the Roma home game. The shallow nature of our squad has hurt us in the last couple of weeks.
agreed

fountz , why does it have to be a choice between the 2? they both play for us , you know

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:48 AM
punk_football

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
agreed

fountz , why does it have to be a choice between the 2? they both play for us , you know
Its like having to decide between your two kids

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:52 AM
DoubleJ

they all looked £#%&!ed to put it simply. think it showed up how much we need a replacment for giggs and even scholesy, i really cant see them being as effective next season, same with ole, it was like this season was their one last push to win somethign before they become bit part figures.

as for saturday the fact giggs was awful didnt help ronaldo imo, he needed support and was never going to get it from heinze and needed giggs to give him options. rooney only really got a chance when he bullied essien to make it himself, the missing fullbacks would have made a massive difference to ronaldos game aswell. we really miss gary neville when hes not their, cause browns distributions is nothign short of absymal

Unread 21-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Krushkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk_football
Its like having to decide between your two kids

Speak for yourself mate! If one of mine turned out to look like Rooney, speaking in a scouse accent, I'd be straight onto a top divorce lawyer.

Unread 21-05-2007, 12:44 PM
MJ Ramone

I think Ronaldo has been relatively quiet since the Roma games.
...you could argue that the (richly deserved) personal awards & the eulogies from Fergie & co. maybe, just maybe affected his focus?...of course, he could just be absolutely knackered!
Either way he certainly can't be criticised for finally hitting a bit of poor form after such a great campaign.

I believe (& it's just my opinion so I don't want a £#%&!ing row about it!) that Wayne Rooney is our best player. He's the one that gives me the biggest buzz when he's on his game.
I think he'll have an incredible season next term. He'll have had the summer off..he'll have the belief & confidence after winning the Title (not to mention re-discovering his form/goalscoring in Europe)
There have been times this season where he's blown hot & cold, but he's weighed in with plenty of goals (all beautifully taken goals at that)
His goal at Everton (which effectively won the Title) was a stand out moment, but the Stretford end - stoppage time - winner against Milan was £#%&!ing priceless.

They're both devastating attacking players on their day. Love both of them, but I'll always just get that extra bit of a kick out of Wayne....I guess for much the same reasons that I always related more to Scholesy than say Becks or Giggs.

Unread 21-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Mark Corrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
..just my opinion.

Rooney, along with Vidic and Scholes looked to me like the only players who really wanted it.

Fair do's but i dont think you could leave Ferdinand off that list.

Unread 21-05-2007, 12:47 PM
TheNew

With respect Fountz, this thread is £#%&!ing stupid.

Unread 21-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNew
With respect Fountz, this thread is £#%&!ing stupid.
A full season's evidence thrown out on the basis of, not even one game, one half, of whole hearted chasing, scrapping and surging

Unread 21-05-2007, 12:54 PM
utd82

£#%&!ing hell, short-term memory strikes again

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Fountz

Default Argentina..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentina
A full season's evidence thrown out on the basis of, not even one game, one half, of whole hearted chasing, scrapping and surging
Not having a pop at you personally, but your post is just indicative of what £#%&!s me off about some of the reds on here.

Everybody's so £#%&!ing precious.. so defensive.. it's almost as if, because we've stood by Ronaldo, that any opinion that even by implication casts him in a slightly negative light has to immediately dismissed or rebutted.

I didn't say Ronaldo was shit, I didn't say I'd have Henry/Robben/Lampard etc etc over him, cos I wouldn't.. What I said was, "I'd have Rooney over him"..

Should I get all defensive and assume you don't rate Rooney ?

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:23 PM
Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountz
Not having a pop at you personally, but your post is just indicative of what £#%&!s me off about some of the reds on here.

Everybody's so £#%&!ing precious.. so defensive.. it's almost as if, because we've stood by Ronaldo, that any opinion that even by implication casts him in a slightly negative light has to immediately dismissed or rebutted.

I didn't say Ronaldo was shit, I didn't say I'd have Henry/Robben/Lampard etc etc over him, cos I wouldn't.. What I said was, "I'd have Rooney over him"..

Should I get all defensive and assume you don't rate Rooney ?
I would have preffered you to say that Ronaldo was shit. Not is shit, but was shit. Because he was. Rooney was shit first half. Absolutely awful. Improved no end second half, and stood out only because of his effort. His guile and poise were, like most of the season non-existent. The ball over from Scholes, bouncing off his shins
The all important final touch that could have drawn a penalty from Cech.

He has been poor all season. Ronaldo has carried the team all season and Im sure his back is aching from it

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Serenity Now

Ronaldo really struggles when you double cover him, sucking out the space behind whoever is facing up to him. Ronaldo's game is all about skinning his man and then bursting past him at speed, if you deny space behind then that isn't very effective.

This kind of tactical move was made easier for Chelsea by the limited attacking threat posed by Brown and Heinze, neither of whom are particularly quick or good at getting to the bye-line. Both of them got forward into decent crossing positions behind the wingers, but they didn't overlap enough, their delivery wasn't good enough and Chelsea generally had numerical superiority in the box anyway.

It's not tactical genius by Mourinho or anything, even I have mentioned it before on here (although the way they controlled how and where Ronaldo received the ball in order to maximise the pressure on him as soon as got possession of the ball was quite impressive). It's clearly something we need to work on, both on an individual technical/tactical and team tactical level.

And finally, as S/Side suggests, Ronaldo has been off his game since the Roma match, so it was always going to be difficult for him no matter what.

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:30 PM
shuffle_like_sharpey

Quote:
He has been poor all season. Ronaldo has carried the team all season and Im sure his back is aching from it.
by his standards he didn't have the best season. at times he was fantastic, and at times he had a bit of a rough patch. but he still finished joint top scorer with ronaldo. and lets not forget who carried the team last season...

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Fountz

Quote:
I would have preffered you to say that Ronaldo was shit. Not is shit, but was shit. Because he was.
I didn't say anyone was shit..

What I love about Rooney, is the fact that he wants it, he perhaps wasn't on his game, but his drive and bottle, can't be questioned.

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:41 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
He has been poor all season. Ronaldo has carried the team all season and Im sure his back is aching from it

Pathetic mate.
How anyone can have a vendetta over such a great player is beyond me.

Yes, Rooney should have controlled that pass from Scholesy. Agreed.
But, to criticise him for not getting past Cech is outrageous!..He'd ran the full length of the pitch, brushing aside Essien, Mikel, Terry etc..

You always tell us why Rooney isn't good enough for you & continually list the faults in his game (personally I think you're either joking in order to get a rise out of people like me!...or you're a bit simple & you dislike him because he happens to be from Liverpool)

But let's talk about Ronaldo's faults seeing as we're big enough to be critical of our best players.

Dead Balls - Ronnie is consistently atrocious with direct freekicks. 1 out of every 20 hits the target - 1 out of every thousand goes in. The rest hit the wall or the top tier of the stand. If Rooney was so wasteful with dead balls you'd want him swinging from the rafters.

Appreciation of team mates He's largely cut it out of his game, but he still fails to see striker's runs & simple balls to team mates in better positions. His 'mental picture' & 'reading of the game' isn't in Rooney's league.

Defensive responsibility Often leaves his full back exposed because he can't be arsed to track back.

I only point these out because every player has faults, not because I want to criticise one of our top players. You could make a list of every player's faults if you were petty enough.

I hope this ROONEY V RONALDO shit carries on next year as well

Unread 21-05-2007, 01:49 PM
DoubleJ

well if he scored 20 a season when hes not played top of his game i cant wait to see him after a full pre season . he hasnt be crap this season he just didnt quite reach the standards he set when carrying the whole team on his own.

Unread 21-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Fountz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ
well if he scored 20 a season when hes not played top of his game i cant wait to see him after a full pre season . he hasnt be crap this season he just didnt quite reach the standards he set when carrying the whole team on his own.
True. Practically no break last year, and continually played out of position.

I'd like to see him in the old inside forward position.. having said that, he's one of the few players around worthy of a free role.
Closed Thread