United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-02-2009, 10:53 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
As shit as they are, I can't write the Vermin off until they are actually out.

They were as bad in 2005.
But we're better.

We'll beat them if necessary.

Unread 26-02-2009, 10:55 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
But we're better.

We'll beat them if necessary.
Our problem is that we can dominate a game, miss a host of chances and not score. Tuesday wasn't the first instance this season.

Unread 26-02-2009, 10:57 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Our problem is that we can dominate a game, miss a host of chances and not score. Tuesday wasn't the first instance this season.

All true, but even so - I'd still fancy us.

Unread 26-02-2009, 10:59 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
All true, but even so - I'd still fancy us.
Me too.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:09 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Me too.

I think the inability to score the other night was a little bit of a freak thing and not really an example of some of our failures this season.

The thing that has concerned me in some games this season has been our lack of urgency and how we’ve allowed large periods of the game to just drift away, leaving us scrambling for a winner past the 70 minute mark. Although it was a similar story in terms of scoreline, I really couldn’t fault the team’s approach: We were aggressive, but controlled and always looked to attack. It didn’t really feel like, say, the game at Bolton or at home to Middlesbrough or Wigan, for example. They were games where we dangerously coasted almost assuming we’d get over the line.

I really just think it was one of those things that we didn’t score on Tuesday. If we play like that for the remainder of the campaign, we’ll be fine.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:12 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:

I think the inability to score the other night was a little bit of a freak thing and not really an example of some of our failures this season.

The thing that has concerned me in some games this season has been our lack of urgency and how we’ve allowed large periods of the game to just drift away, leaving us scrambling for a winner past the 70 minute mark. Although it was a similar story in terms of scoreline, I really couldn’t fault the team’s approach: We were aggressive, but controlled and always looked to attack. It didn’t really feel like, say, the game at Bolton or at home to Middlesbrough or Wigan, for example. They were games where we dangerously coasted almost assuming we’d get over the line.

I really just think it was one of those things that we didn’t score on Tuesday. If we play like that for the remainder of the campaign, we’ll be fine.

Agreed, it was a very impressive first half performance and it was also important the way we came back after Inter had a good period and got back on top.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:26 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Agreed, it was a very impressive first half performance and it was also important the way we came back after Inter had a good period and got back on top.
Yeah, I was also impressed with how we repelled the inevitable half time backlash and went on to dominate towards the end. We looked like winning it late on.

I thought we were brilliant. Text-book European away performance, in difficult defensive circumstances, that deserved much better.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:29 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Yeah, I was also impressed with how we repelled the inevitable half time backlash and went on to dominate towards the end. We looked like winning it late on.

I thought we were brilliant. Text-book European away performance, in difficult defensive circumstances, that deserved much better.
Just hope, as Fergie has said, that the lack of away goal doesn't ccome back to bite us on the arse*. Slight worry of that @#%&! Jose getting a stuffy away goal and parking the bus in front of goal.

* I think I'm paraphrasing Fergie there.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:48 AM
redmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
lolz.

He's always been shit. He only looked good because of his commitment and the fact that we were a shambles in his first season.
No coincidence argentina have most of the time played him at centre back, i can remember his first season well, in fairness he did have a good start, but the number of times he got caught out of position and the amount of free kicks he gave away was alarming, overrated terribly due to his apparant committed but mostly mistimed tackles, then he had his injury and rapidly got even worse.

Now utd have evra and fabio and the franco mob have him.

Unread 26-02-2009, 11:57 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Just hope, as Fergie has said, that the lack of away goal doesn't ccome back to bite us on the arse*. Slight worry of that @#%&! Jose getting a stuffy away goal and parking the bus in front of goal.

Frankly, I think Inter will need two away goals. Can't see us not scoring twice. We need to forget about the away goal - it can be blown out of proportion sometimes. You can drive yourself mad with it. The scenario is simple: Win the game. We mustn't live in fear of the away goal and allow that to stunt our attacking play. If they get one, then fine, but provided it's not the first goal of the game then we should be fine.

Unread 26-02-2009, 12:14 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
lolz.

He's always been shit. He only looked good because of his commitment and the fact that we were a shambles in his first season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmike
No coincidence argentina have most of the time played him at centre back, i can remember his first season well, in fairness he did have a good start, but the number of times he got caught out of position and the amount of free kicks he gave away was alarming, overrated terribly due to his apparant committed but mostly mistimed tackles, then he had his injury and rapidly got even worse.

Now utd have evra and fabio and the franco mob have him.
I never liked him, was never impressed with his playing ability, and his signing caused massive damage to the progress of John O'Shea. I was £#%&!ing delighted when we signed Evra.

I actually stated my hatred for Heinze on here on several occasions, and toyed with the idea of having him killed after the Milan semi.

I wish we had sold him to Liverpool, I wasn't bothered about him going there on anything other than principle.

Unread 26-02-2009, 12:19 PM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Frankly, I think Inter will need two away goals. Can't see us not scoring twice. We need to forget about the away goal - it can be blown out of proportion sometimes. You can drive yourself mad with it. The scenario is simple: Win the game. We mustn't live in fear of the away goal and allow that to stunt our attacking play. If they get one, then fine, but provided it's not the first goal of the game then we should be fine.
Truth, thats how I always think of it-I just hope (and i'm sure its the case) the team think the same way come the night

Unread 26-02-2009, 12:50 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Truth, thats how I always think of it-I just hope (and i'm sure its the case) the team think the same way come the night
I'm buzzing for and dreading the return leg in equal measure. I was convinced Barca would KO us after the 1st leg last season and am not overly optimistic this time either. I’m haunted by those games against Dortmund (as well as Monaco & Madrid) where our lack of away goals proved decisive. If Inter score first, we really will be £#%&!ed. However, this team has a lot more character then me

It’s quite gutting that such an outstanding performance (one of our best away from home in years) didn’t produce the result we so richly deserved. Winning at the San Siro would have been a wonderful coup for this side.

Unread 26-02-2009, 12:59 PM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
We look very clued up in Europe these days. Fergie is tactically better than ever. It's totally different to the days of Monaco '98, Madrid '00 and Porto '04.

If we do go out, i doubt it will be through a lack of application or concentration.

Fergie will have them ready. I am very confident.

Unread 26-02-2009, 01:00 PM
antonin jablonsky

I see Torres might miss a few games with his ankle injury. Only 2 weeks 'til they come to OT innit?

Unread 26-02-2009, 01:10 PM
dodger

Quote:

Always a worry without that away goal. We should be out of sight. Anyway, finish the job. Vidic back too.

Unread 26-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Dr Gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I never liked him, was never impressed with his playing ability, and his signing caused massive damage to the progress of John O'Shea. I was £#%&!ing delighted when we signed Evra.

I actually stated my hatred for Heinze on here on several occasions, and toyed with the idea of having him killed after the Milan semi.

I wish we had sold him to Liverpool, I wasn't bothered about him going there on anything other than principle.

I understand what you're saying : he was spectacularly awful in that game.

That ridiculous grin after he gives away yet another free kick has always irritated me immensely as well
Closed Thread