United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanRobson'sLiver
Maybe, I just think that he needs to look at Kerrison and beware.
He's been on loan for four years

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Mr_Ed

It would be funny if it was given the verm are trying to adopt the same approach

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
It would be funny if it was given the verm are trying to adopt the same approach
Several years of amazing success ended by a CL semi final defeat and a league win...

Barca will be back - You can probably get a good price on them to win the CL next year

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:56 AM
barca99

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
or a topic of discussion that's open to debate. Not one single person has said that they are but thanks for the input.
Whats up with you today pal, your wallet too small for your fifty's, or are your diamond shoes too tight!

Anyway, imo no they are not. Yes certain players are coming to an end, but they still have some great players (obviously) and because of these players / the last few years they will not struggle to sign new players. In other words i think if Barcelona want you, they get you.

Unread 02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
He's been on loan for four years
And?

He was the highest scorer and next big thing in Brazilian football, Barca bought him for a lot of money and yet he failed to break the first team and how at the age of 24 Barca farm him out to whoever will take him and the only place he's managed to make any waves at all is back in Brazil.

And you don't think that should be a warning?

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Child of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrills_pills_bellyaches
Would still hope to avoid them at any cost next year. The only team that I think we really need to be concerned about. We could beat any of the other teams in the semis

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca99
Whats up with you today pal, your wallet too small for your fifty's, or are your diamond shoes too tight!

Sick of Bellers and his diamond shoes. Always banging on about it he is the pig

As for the decline of Barca....yes

Not decline in terms of results or it being the end of the Barca success world, simply that the fashion has moved on.

That doesn't mean Barca will be less effective - just that there will be a new model in town.

Remember 1998? Everybody wanted the French model with powerful fullbacks, 2 crunchy giant powerhouses in the middle and a sulky, black, fast striker up front.

Then along comes Barca with its penchant for swarthy,quick passing midgets.

Now - the German model of handsome keepers, small mobile fast midfielders and giant, lumbering (preferably Slavic or Eastern European) white guys strikers is the model to which we aspire.

Bratwurst > Chorizo > frogs legs

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quigglers in posting sense shocker

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Mr Castro

I think the 'fashion' thing is a good point. To further it go back about 10 years, maybe a little bit longer. Everyone's fashionable team was Real Madrid, the Galacticos. They have Raul, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, and later on Beckham. They were supposed to dominate world football for years with this buy the best player once a year policy.

But they didn't. Between 2000 and 2004 they won one European Cup, two League Titles and two Spanish Super Cups. That isn't bad, but it certainly isn't dominating. I think that, amongst other things, is why the 'Galactico phenomenom' faded.

Barcelona will come again, it's just that most have divorced them and moved onto a German wife.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
Barcelona will come again, it's just that most have divorced them and moved onto a German wife.
Yes - the hair is now in the armpit and not above the lip so to speak

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:17 AM
thrills_pills_bellyaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
Sorry, but its true.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:31 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed

Got on the tiki taka bandwagon just as it was dying on its arse. Stay winning #@&%!s

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
I think the 'fashion' thing is a good point. To further it go back about 10 years, maybe a little bit longer. Everyone's fashionable team was Real Madrid, the Galacticos. They have Raul, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, and later on Beckham. They were supposed to dominate world football for years with this buy the best player once a year policy.

But they didn't. Between 2000 and 2004 they won one European Cup, two League Titles and two Spanish Super Cups. That isn't bad, but it certainly isn't dominating. I think that, amongst other things, is why the 'Galactico phenomenom' faded.

Listen to me.

I watched the 2008 euro final in a packed pub full of men and women who thought it was 'fashionable' to want spain to win.
I was along with one other guy, the only one who wanted the germans to win.

I am the original hipster here. This time next year I'll have another country in my sights. It's the way I roll. It's like a sick sense. A twinkle in the shaft when I see something about to get great.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Listen to me.

I watched the 2008 euro final in a packed pub full of men and women who thought it was 'fashionable' to want spain to win.

I am the original hipster here. This time next year I'll have another country in my sights. It's the way I roll. It's like a sick sense. A twinkle in the shaft when I see something about to get great.
Who's next do you think? Russia?

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
USA will rule football one day

Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
I don't know yet.

Zorg

Watching Barcelona / Spain in the last few years has always reminded me of that episode of the Simpsons when they have a dig at football.

(0:47)

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Harri Jaffa

Quote:
It'll be 5 - 8 years after the next government realizes they have to do something together to bring the level/standards of the country as a whole rather than individual teams.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Watching Barcelona / Spain in the last few years has always reminded me of that episode of the Simpsons when they have a dig at football.

(0:47)

Center Holds It!! - YouTube
Exactly, but you can't say that apparently. They were superb. Because they attacked.
Except they didn't really. They kept the ball and choked, smothered and drained the opposition. Like a python. Which is ironic because if a spanish person tried to say 'python' it would sound ridiculous.

Unread 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Jethro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
Listen to me.

Honestly £#%&! Spain. I have a long standing admiration of all things German. Brilliant country, brilliant people, brilliant music, brilliant Football.
Closed Thread