United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Castro
ITV's coverage

It's an absolute joke. This isn't the only £#%&! up as we know, and the others have been pretty major (missing goals etc). ITV start at 7.30pm building up a Champions League Semi Final (because they can't move Emmerdale to half 6 or anything, and shorten the news, oh no), have an ad break at 7.32 come back at 7.35, have interviews which are half done, show a clip of something, show the players in the tunnel, then cut to another ad break at 7.43, missing the Champions League theme which is pretty disrespectful in itself, before coming back and covering a match which seems to them an inconvenience. Then they can't wait to go to an ad break at half time, they sometimes don't even wait for that.

Oh and heaven forbid if the game ever goes to extra time, ,that means they have to delay the news. And when it does end they zip round the panel asking for opinions, and then apologise profusely for delaying the news before ending the programme.

Sky on the other hand are pretty much flawless with covering football. They prepare for every eventuality (shows which can easily be taken off for example)

£#%&! ITV.
Sky's hype is what has taken the game to the daft level it's at, their fat pay cheques are what has driven the price of TV rights up, their empty £#%&!ing airtime is what gives them such a huge competitive advantage on advertising ...

Then you've got their pundits and commentators who are moaned about incessantly on here for their bullshit and bias ...

I seen hundreds of games on Sky since 1992 and they regularly cut managers off, regularly chop interviews up, regularly ignore some incidents that seemed key, and these days spend half the £#%&!ing game talking about other games and showing replays to see whether or not it was a corner or a £#%&!ing throw-in ...

ITV is free to air. No matter how long Sky allocate for each match, they can't match that.

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
What I don't get is them cutting the interview short. Surely if you're out of time just end the programme but keep recording. At least then you've got the interview for the news etc. But instead they shut Mourinho down and lose out on a world exclusive so that they're able to tie the broadcast up fully. The look on Chiles' face when they came back to him. Shocking stuff
a world exclusive

ycnmiu

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
i know the indigenous people of Champions League were seething when they did that for the first time. Anger on the streets. Fuming.

Agree with everything else.

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:46 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
a world exclusive

ycnmiu
Dunno if you've heard, but Real Madrid are a pretty big deal in some parts of the world.

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
He is unbelievable mate.

His touch is fantastic and he is so calm on the ball, he is only young as well isn't he?

He'll be the next one to be bought by one of the big boys probably the summer after this.
Absolutely the two main things that stood out. Fantastic touch and control over the ball, especially when running with it, but his composure and choice of pass was great too. Immense talent.

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Dunno if you've heard, but Real Madrid are a pretty big deal in some parts of the world.
didn't realise ITV had the world TV rights

it's a manager being interviewed, that's all

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

the other thing about ITV that's worth praising is that its football coverage is not infested with vermin

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
didn't realise ITV had the world TV rights

it's a manager being interviewed, that's all
He wasn't saying it to anyone else. That makes it an exclusive. They're the biggest club in the world, so it would have been picked up on by the world's media. Surely you can see where the world exclusive part came from?

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
He wasn't saying it to anyone else. That makes it an exclusive. They're the biggest club in the world, so it would have been picked up on by the world's media. Surely you can see where the world exclusive part came from?
I'm questioning the importance you place on the content

You also have no idea what he may have already said elsewhere or what he planned to say elsewhere

You are also ignoring that he was soon to talk to the entire media anyway and said pretty much the same as he said to ITV

Basically it was a bit shit of ITV but ultimately irrelevant

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
They should have the programme running in parallel on ITV2 to get round this? I thought they did starting at 6:30? If so they should advertise it more.

They really are a bit shit though...
Or just scrap football in ITV altogether and run it on ITV2 all the time. That way the sad £#%&!ers get their soaps and news at 10 on time and they could then provide a decent level of coverage for the football.

Hardly rocket science :shakehead:

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Marlon Van Baron

Quote:
the other thing about ITV that's worth praising is that its football coverage is not infested with vermin
Just infested with clueless @#%&!s like Townsend, Southgate and Chiles

Unread 01-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Van Baron
Just infested with clueless @#%&!s like Townsend, Southgate and Chiles
One of the problems we have is that most of the top United players can't be £#%&!ing arsed with being a pundit, and those that do are usually shit

Lee Sharpe was decent so BBC binned him off

Schmeichel was about the best ex-United pundit until Neville woke Sky the £#%&! up ...

Back in the day ITV would regularly have Best and Law on their coverage

Unread 01-05-2013, 01:17 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
When Jose Mourinho walks up to ITV Sport's hugely experienced reporter Gabriel Clarke with two minutes of a live show to go, the producer faces a major dilemma.

Does he ignore the Special One, leaving the viewers at home none the wiser, guaranteeing a smooth end to the broadcast?
Or does he speak quickly into presenter Adrian Chiles's ear and ask him to pause Roy Keane so that the British public get to hear the views of the most enigmatic manager in the game?
The easy thing to do is nothing. But the brave and journalistically correct thing to do is jump live to the interview zone and let Gabriel set about the Madrid manager in his inimitable way.

Last night in the Santiago Bernabeu the ITV Sport team faced this exact dilemma and the programme producer made exactly the right call.
Understandably many viewers were disappointed not to hear more from Mourinho, though he revealed nothing more at a lengthy press conference a little later. Couldn't we have stayed with the programme a little longer to hear more of his thoughts? Well, unfortunately the answer at that stage was no.

Why? The transmission of programmes in the modern era is a complicated business. The digital age means that shows are delivered to the viewers by computerised systems based the length and breadth of the UK. Yes, we can change the timings of shows – but not at a minute's notice. If we'd known Jose Mourinho might suddenly appear we could request a programme overrun of a minute or two, as long as there was still at least five minutes of the show to run.

But as a British broadcaster at a match between teams from Spain and Germany, the fact is we're pretty low down the pecking order when it comes to interview requests.

Which explains why Jose Mourinho arrived at the ITV position, in front of Gabriel, at almost 10pm, more than 20 minutes after the final whistle.
So back to that moment… Jose steps into the interview position. There are two minutes on the clock before the show ends. It's too late to get an overrun. Do we dive to the Mourinho interview and risk the show having a difficult end? Of course we do. The viewers want to hear from him, just as we do. Even if it's for just 90 seconds.
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/ar...rinho-dilemma/

Unread 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Ramos 10/10 in Marca today

Unread 01-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
don't think the Sky crew will accept this

Unread 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
I'm questioning the importance you place on the content

You also have no idea what he may have already said elsewhere or what he planned to say elsewhere

You are also ignoring that he was soon to talk to the entire media anyway and said pretty much the same as he said to ITV

Basically it was a bit shit of ITV but ultimately irrelevant
Actually, you have no idea whether I'm aware of what he said elsewhere.

Btw, he spent a lot of the press conference trying to balance those comments.

Quote:
"I have not said that thing. I said I want to think about the final. Obviously, I like to be in a situation where people like me without any reservations and I have all the support from different areas and we’ll see what happens. The important thing is Real Madrid, more than me."
The English media know (or they should) that he feels more comfortable with them and tends to speak more candidly to them. In that press conference he was a lot more measured; he was clearly considering his words more carefully. He regularly clarified that no decision was made and that he was attached to Madrid as a club. I get the impression he would have been less diplomatic during the ITV interview.

Besides, my point was more about the fact that they chose to end the interview, rather than cut back to the studio and keep filming. Which shows the journalistic standards they're working under.

Unread 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Actually, you have no idea whether I'm aware of what he said elsewhere.

Btw, he spent a lot of the press conference trying to balance those comments.

The English media know (or they should) that he feels more comfortable with them and tends to speak more candidly to them. In that press conference he was a lot more measured; he was clearly considering his words more carefully. He regularly clarified that no decision was made and that he was attached to Madrid as a club. I get the impression he would have been less diplomatic during the ITV interview.

Besides, my point was more about the fact that they chose to end the interview, rather than cut back to the studio and keep filming. Which shows the journalistic standards they're working under.
You appear to be suggesting that ITV should have continued to kid Mourinho on that he had a live UK television audience to speak to and that that would be good journalistic standards

Or perhaps you think he wanted to talk to the media and needs the excuse of a TV interview to do it?

As for the news conference, the news media is so full of liars and £#%&!wits that most managers with any experience are able to deadpan them, string them along or just give them £#%&! all. The news media seem to think they set the agenda and are in control of that environment. The reality is the opposite. They can attack the subject, but without him they are £#%&! all. So was Mourinho clarifying? Or was he just switched on in a room full of bullshitters?

For me the problem with the ITV interview wasn't that they wrapped it up, it was that Clarke is a #@&%! and wanted to introduce the answers with his smarmy questions. He interrupted Mourinho to tell him he was interrupting him and then still asked him something else. And Mourinho basically said £#%&! all of any great surprise and was highly unlikely to either imo.

These days it's fashionable to frame the hype around TV coverage of football not just with montages of footage and music, not just with newspaper headlines, but now with bits of £#%&!ing banal media commentaries. They're all @#%&!s to a man on every channel, determined to make as if they are 'in the game' and 'part of the show'. They aren't.

Unread 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Grimson

Neven Subotic used the comments section of a US newspaper to say hi to his old coach.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/...-lake.html.csp
Closed Thread