United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-04-2013, 10:31 AM
The Return of JC

I like wenger. Hope he stays.

Unread 30-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Baron

Ancelotti has never built another squad after inheriting a winning one - his Milan side were so old when he left they were practically only dealing in hip replacements at Milan Lab.

That said, Wenger has built new squads, just not won anything. Unless you count their stadium...

If Wenger had to deal with the egos & superstars Ancelotti has had to I suspect he'd of been sacked, he's not a man for the big occasion.

In short, both are good at different things - Carlo at winning stuff with lots of money & leaving shit behind, Wenger at previously winning things & now managing a budget & giving us his best player.

Unread 30-04-2013, 03:16 PM
dodger

Have we got to do this Wenger love again? Do I have to get my european managers table out?
This idea that he's finacially hamstrung is %@#$&!s. He's totally dogmatic about what he wants from players, players he wants and what he wants to pay for them. He's missed out on loads of signings becasue he wouldn't pay an extra million or two over he values them at. Admirable or pig headed? Either way, the money has always been there.
He's a less sucessful manager than Benitez. Let's leave it at that.

Unread 30-04-2013, 03:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Have we got to do this Wenger love again? Do I have to get my european managers table out?
This idea that he's finacially hamstrung is %@#$&!s. He's totally dogmatic about what he wants from players, players he wants and what he wants to pay for them. He's missed out on loads of signings becasue he wouldn't pay an extra million or two over he values them at. Admirable or pig headed? Either way, the money has always been there.
He's a less sucessful manager than Benitez. Let's leave it at that.
This. Neo has obviously taken to smoking crack.

Unread 30-04-2013, 04:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Do Arsenal appear to be in a position to compete financially with United, City and Chelsea? No. Can they compete with Spurs? Possibly not. Could they re-invest £50m from sales in new players during one January window like Liverpool? Probably not. So essentially we're talking about the 5th or 6th most powerful club in terms of financial muscle. It's quite clear that, relative to the past, he is being hamstrung by finances, surely?

Every manager misses out on players because they think they're overpriced. Well, unless they're Qatari-funded they do. But even if this has particularly been the case with Wenger, then it's a coincidence that his tendency of missing out on players by a few million has coincided with their move to the Emirates, no? Before that, he invested big money and big wages regularly on players. But now it's his choice to find players of a lesser standard on lower wages?

I suppose it's also been his choice to allow key players to regularly drift into the last year of their contract without renewal, also?

If he leaves Arsenal before their financial situation improves, they'll see exactly how great a job he was doing.

Unread 30-04-2013, 04:38 PM
rafabio

Arsenal will be like liverpool once wenger leaves

Unread 30-04-2013, 04:40 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Do Arsenal appear to be in a position to compete financially with United, City and Chelsea? No. Can they compete with Spurs? Possibly not. Could they re-invest £50m from sales in new players during one January window like Liverpool? Probably not. So essentially we're talking about the 5th or 6th most powerful club in terms of financial muscle. It's quite clear that, relative to the past, he is being hamstrung by finances, surely?

Every manager misses out on players because they think they're overpriced. Well, unless they're Qatari-funded they do. But even if this has particularly been the case with Wenger, then it's a coincidence that his tendency of missing out on players by a few million has coincided with their move to the Emirates, no? Before that, he invested big money and big wages regularly on players. But now it's his choice to find players of a lesser standard on lower wages?

I suppose it's also been his choice to allow key players to regularly drift into the last year of their contract without renewal, also?

If he leaves Arsenal before their financial situation improves, they'll see exactly how great a job he was doing.
City and Chelsea granted but in what way can't they compete with us and Spurs?

Unread 30-04-2013, 04:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
City and Chelsea granted but in what way can't they compete with us and Spurs?
Their net summer spending hasn't exceeded £15m in ten years. They only really get to spend (reasonably) big when they sell big.

I said possibly with Spurs, tbf, simply because Spurs seem to have a bit more ambition considering their turnover much, much lower.

Unread 30-04-2013, 04:57 PM
andyroo

They could've competed all along you know. I don't know why everyone's bought this "don't have a pot to piss in" rubbish. It's not like they don't have big matchday revenues, corporates, sponsorship, marketing, all that shit. They used to be a big wage spender, always more than us when they were winning shit. The rise of Chelsea broke their balls.

They can't catch up now of course, but it's too late.

Stupid @#%&!s.

Unread 30-04-2013, 05:08 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
They could've competed all along you know. I don't know why everyone's bought this "don't have a pot to piss in" rubbish. It's not like they don't have big matchday revenues, corporates, sponsorship, marketing, all that shit. They used to be a big wage spender, always more than us when they were winning shit. The rise of Chelsea broke their balls.

They can't catch up now of course, but it's too late.

Stupid @#%&!s.
Based on what?

They were spending big and enjoying success. Then after moving to a new stadium they decided to reign it in, spend moderately, stop winning trophies and deal with constant fan unrest over spending despite having the second highest turnover in the country? Really?

Tbh, Wenger doesn't spend the money he has very well these days. But his performance level is in accordance with their ambitions, imo.

Unread 30-04-2013, 05:09 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Their net summer spending hasn't exceeded £15m in ten years. They only really get to spend (reasonably) big when they sell big.

I said possibly with Spurs, tbf, simply because Spurs seem to have a bit more ambition considering their turnover much, much lower.
That's the point though. He could have spent more and has chosen not to. That's why he's not very smart/pig headed/dogmatic/whatever.

Unread 30-04-2013, 05:34 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
That's the point though. He could have spent more and has chosen not to. That's why he's not very smart/pig headed/dogmatic/whatever.
Just not sure I buy it. You look at the guys he brings in and it just smacks of having to settle for the nearly men: the players who never quite got their big move, failed elsewhere or that the big clubs simply don't quite fancy.

For the most part, they only seem to be able to get the players nobody else wants. That can't be club policy, surely?
Closed Thread