United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 22-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Chorlton74

souness, merson, yung lee sharpe, dont even mind andy townsend.

jamie redknapps a #@&%! though. too many e numbers for that man.

Unread 22-08-2007, 06:18 PM
magic_cantona

I quite like Shearer as a pundit.Talks sense, always unbiased.

Rate: George Graham, Hansen, Shearer, Sparky, Leonardo, Souness

Hate: Andy Gray, Tyler, Greene, 'Wrighty', Pleat, Jamie 'sat on fence' Redknapp, Garth Croooooooks

Unread 22-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
agree with all of that. if you've watched/listened to european analysts or read some of what the papers write it's often light years ahead of what you find in the british press. the closest you ever get to genuine tactical analysis is some barely intelligible muttering about 4-4-2, target men and defending in the opponent's half. ruud gullit was one of the few who could actually talk intelligently about tactics and team play, rather than just who was playing well and who wasn't.
It all comes down to a lack of respect for the audience. Little credit is given for the viewers knowing anything about the game, the coverage is dumbed down and very basic. Redknapp is the poster boy for this brainless coverage.

A good pundit highlights the subtle tactical ploys which are influencing the game, is opinionated and not afraid of upsetting old friends and teammate.

I like Souness and Gullit on sky, both are prepared to offer more than just platitudes, and come across as if they care about what they are saying.

Unread 22-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Barca '91

how anyone can feel anything but hatred for gray is beyond me.

souness is quality. proper old school football man and knows his onions. plus he £#%&!ed the scousers whilst in charge

hate ray wilkins, the soft rent boy @#%&!.

thinking about it I dont like many.

Unread 22-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Tumescent Throb

Leonardo and Desailly made the BBC World Cup coverage vaguely watchable, and some of their less well known comms are ok. Souness seems good though I hardly hear him. Stan Collymore on the radio was decent the few times I've heard him.

The main thing to remember for these idiots in the media (editors, producers, directors or whoever) is that familiarity breeds contempt. John Motson still getting all the big games on the BBC is a joke. Gary Lineker presenting MotD was tired after just a few times of seeing it.

Good point about Gullit, Tiberian: the best bit of punditry I've ever heard was after the CL final 99 when he said Bayern did nothing, didn't deserve to win cus of the way they played, and were "absolute crap". Perfect.
Closed Thread