Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:24 AM
MUFC One Love

Default The Secret Footballer - Pundits

This is interesting, The Secret Footballer, think it's a premier league player:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...y-gray-pundits

Quote:
What if Sky Sports offered me Andy Gray's job? Not a chance. Let me tell you something, football pundits are universally despised by players and not just because at some point in the past they would have been on the receiving end of criticism themselves.

It doesn't matter what you've done in the game, where you've played, what you might have won or how much money you earned – pundits are held in the same regard by players as female assistant referees once were at Sky.

And while on that subject, prepare to be disappointed. While I found the whole episode with Gray and Richard Keys at Molineux cringeworthy, inside the world of football nobody is particularly bothered. Don't interpret that as evidence that players are condoning Gray and Keys for their behaviour. It's more a case that most of my team-mates would have no interest in listening to anything pundits say in the first place.

There's no obvious reason why those sat on the sofa are thought of in such low terms, but it may have something to do with a sense that they are going against the inner sanctum that we pretend we are a part of. Perhaps, subconsciously, it tugs at those still playing, who realise the ex-players know things about them that they probably wish they didn't.

Their new position of influence over millions of people is a little uncomfortable for some, I'm sure, and their failure to go the extra mile when analysing matches can also grate.

Switch to our world and the level of detail that goes into games still, to this day, amazes me. Every player has his own script, what to do, when to do it, information on the player he's up against, including weight, height, age, strengths, weaknesses, even what that opponent is likely to do when the ball comes to him in certain situations. We memorise every single set piece, where we have to stand, run and end up. We even memorise this for the other players so we know where everyone else will be at any given time.

You know that pass when you say to yourself: "How did he spot that?" Often he didn't need to; he knew the player would be there because, the night before in the hotel, he read about the runs he would be making.

It's exactly the same pass after which sometimes you might find yourself saying: "Who was that to?" The receiving player either forgot to be there or was taken out of the game by a tactical manoeuvre by his opposite number.

Football at this level is very chess-like, maybe not to those outside of football but certainly to those inside. I sometimes wonder whether it's more enjoyable playing lower down the leagues. After all, who wants to play chess?

With top-level football being so complex, it is very difficult to deconstruct a live game within a couple of minutes of it being over, and because of this the "analysis" is usually reduced to goals and individual performance. But the fact that many pundits don't even try to scratch beneath the surface, despite knowing what it takes to win a match at this level, annoys me. It's the trivialisation of what we do by people that we used to call our own and, more importantly, deprives the viewer of some very interesting tit-bits that would, I feel, add to the entertainment.

Anyone can navigate a giant iPad, sliding faces of famous players around with their pinkie while throwing out phrases like "Third man run" and other such rubbish. What particularly riles me is when you hear a pundit or co-commentator say something like, "I can't understand, Martin, why Drogba is not on the post here. That header would have fallen to him and if I'm Petr Cech I'm saying: 'Go on son, clear that off the line for me!'"

The fact is corners are routinely cleared by a man stationed on the six-yard line, exactly where Chelsea position Didier Drogba. If somebody scores inside that post it is for no other reason than a player having lost his man. That is the mistake. If there is a player on the post he will clear one, possibly two shots off the line a season. If that same player stands on the six-yard line he will probably clear 100 corners away over the course of the season.

The worst thing, though, is when this dross gets into popular culture and my friends start saying stupid things to me like, "We should have a man on the post, our manager doesn't know what he's doing", just because it sounds like the right thing to say. It's such an easy way of analysing that it infuriates me. It's lazy and it takes you, the viewer, for a fool. But, then again, Sky is an expert in creating a villain.

Follow the Secret Footballer on Twitter @TSFGuardian

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Albert Tatlock

Default Re: The Secret Footballer - Pundits

Thats the Power, nailed on.

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:38 AM
forzagarza

Probably koppas

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:47 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Probably koppas
too intelligent for him

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Albert Tatlock

I've already told you who it is

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:53 AM
borsuk

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
Thats a fantastic picture....

Unread 30-01-2011, 10:57 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Looks like someone out of trainspotting ffs.

Unread 30-01-2011, 11:18 AM
thenorthwillriseagain

it's lampard or terry nqat

Unread 30-01-2011, 11:33 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthwillriseagain
it's lampard or terry nqat
assuming it's not entirely ghost-written then i think we can rule out terry.

Quote:
With top-level football being so complex, it is very difficult to deconstruct a live game within a couple of minutes of it being over, and because of this the "analysis" is usually reduced to goals and individual performance. But the fact that many pundits don't even try to scratch beneath the surface, despite knowing what it takes to win a match at this level, annoys me. It's the trivialisation of what we do by people that we used to call our own and, more importantly, deprives the viewer of some very interesting tit-bits that would, I feel, add to the entertainment.

Unread 30-01-2011, 11:42 AM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
assuming it's not entirely ghost-written then i think we can rule out terry.
Was thinking that, it's surely ghost written.

Unread 30-01-2011, 12:13 PM
tatty

You can count on one hand the number of top-level footballers intelligent enough to write that.

'Bummy Le Saux' perhaps - or, as has been said, much more likely ghost written.

Unread 30-01-2011, 12:16 PM
redhegemony

Doubt it's ghost written but well edited. Probably lots of bright intelligent players who could do it; most of the scandies.

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Mr_Ed

A footballer who talks about pundits talking about footballers.

Unread 30-01-2011, 01:53 PM
celtbion

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Doubt it's ghost written but well edited. Probably lots of bright intelligent players who could do it; most of the scandies.
Good spot.

Dutch or Scandinavian?

Maybe Edwin?

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Terry Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Clarke Carlisle - Countdown, Newsnight, Burnley.

Unread 30-01-2011, 02:12 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Silver
Clarke Carlisle - Countdown, Newsnight, Burnley.
Good shout Terence, I was thunking the same

Unread 30-01-2011, 03:11 PM
n48

This has got Scharner written all over it. NQAT

Unread 20-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Sloane

think owen just gave the game away?

Unread 20-05-2011, 10:55 AM
redhegemony