United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-03-2016, 08:53 PM
ryanMUFC

Default Michael Carrick

Could someone please tell me what he does other than pass the ball (mostly sideways and backwards)?
It's like he has no intention of bringing possession forward. He doesn't deliver killer passes into dangerous positions and he doesn't influence the game as much as people have ever made out. He's certainly no united captain.

Passing statistics are pointless if they're in the wrong direction. You can see why Keane lays into him.

Unread 06-03-2016, 08:55 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Could someone please tell me what he does other than pass the ball (mostly sideways and backwards)?
It's like he has no intention of bringing possession forward. He doesn't deliver killer passes into dangerous positions and he doesn't influence the game as much as people have ever made out. He's certainly no united captain.

Passing statistics are pointless if they're in the wrong direction. You can see why Keane lays into him.
There are games where his forward passing and influence is still exemplary, and games where he is utter shite. He has no consistency these days and personifies the current United side perfectly.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:00 PM
ZiggyStardust

Been a great player and servant to the club but stick a metaphorical fork in him because he's done

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:03 PM
ryanMUFC

He seems to lack most qualities you'd want in a midfielder, ie. creativity, aggression and leadership. He doesn't offer much more than the basic skill of passing. It's frustrating. There hasn't been the need for a leader or enforcing type midfielder since Keane because we had the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney as well as a solid pairing in defence with Rio and Vidic. Our team is transparently weak with players like him in it.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:05 PM
ScarFace

leaving in the summer. no contract offered

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:05 PM
dunk

Quote:
He seems to lack most qualities you'd want in a midfielder, ie. creativity, aggression and leadership. He doesn't offer much more than the basic skill of passing. It's frustrating.
Are you saying this of the Carrick we see now, or the Carrick that has been here since 2006?

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:06 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
He seems to lack most qualities you'd want in a midfielder, ie. creativity, aggression and leadership. He doesn't offer much more than the basic skill of passing. It's frustrating.
Yet how many league titles; European & Domestic Cup finals has his influence on the team helped us get to?

Quality signing? One of Fergies best ever and will go down as one of the best club midfielders

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:08 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Are you saying this of the Carrick we see now, or the Carrick that has been here since 2006?
Carrick that passed the ball sideways to Ronaldo was better than the one that passes it sideways to Lingard.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:09 PM
andyroo

Needs replacing though. In fact has done for a couple of years. Schneid and Schwein were supposed to help in that regard but they, well, haven't.

Weir on the bench again today, and got a couple of minutes v Arsenal. Not sure I like the chances of him being the answer though.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:10 PM
dunk

Quote:
Carrick that passed the ball sideways to Ronaldo was better than the one that passes it sideways to Lingard.
Oh dear.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:10 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Yet how many league titles; European & Domestic Cup finals has his influence on the team helped us get to?

Quality signing? One of Fergies best ever and will go down as one of the best club midfielders
He's been a part of many titles but you'd be an idiot to think we'd have won them without the defence and attack of Rooney and Ronaldo.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:14 PM
armchair

Suddenly, after a decade of Carrick at United, Ryan asks the important question. Well done Ryan. Cheers for waiting 10 years.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
S/Side.Red

He's very up and down these days. But like Rooney he has far too much responsibility. In both those areas United should have world class players who should be taking over and pushing these guys to the periphery.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Suddenly, after a decade of Carrick at United, Ryan asks the important question. Well done Ryan. Cheers for waiting 10 years.
Been annoying me for years but you're welcome. People near me at Old trafford can vouch for me on this.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:17 PM
dunk

Quote:
Been annoying me for years but you're welcome. People near me at Old trafford can vouch for me on this.
You've been wrong for years, now, now he's turned 34 and is showing some inconsistency, you may have a bit of a point. Congrats.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
andyroo

Quote:

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
He's very up and down these days. But like Rooney he has far too much responsibility. In both those areas United should have world class players who should be taking over and pushing these guys to the periphery.
We've done pretty well recently with him in the back 4. I would've played him there today with Morgan in mid.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:31 PM
est.1878

Still some people who don't get him

Been subtley immense for us

Pretty sure most the historic haters rated alan smith "get stuck in, shows passion"

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:40 PM
jem

Quote:
He's been a part of many titles but you'd be an idiot to think we'd have won them without the defence and attack of Rooney and Ronaldo.
if you want to know how well carrick is going to play, the only question you need to ask is "who is he playing with?"

if he's playing in a midfield, he is a king. still. and more than capable of playing forward passes. if van gaal is picking the team, you may be a little bit concerned.

Unread 06-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Sparky***

He's old Ryan. Unfortunately the guy we got in to share that responsibility with him in midfield is also old, and very injury prone.
Closed Thread