United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:46 AM
antonin jablonsky

Default A more interesting Saha story than the sports psychologist non-story.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2337508.ece

Saha testing United’s patience with constant injuries
Oliver Kay
Louis Saha is facing a test of his priorities at Manchester United after another aborted comeback attempt at the weekend. The injury-troubled forward has severely tested Sir Alex Ferguson’s patience, having started only one Barclays Premier League match since January 1, and there is concern behind the scenes at Old Trafford over the possibility of a call-up to the France squad next week for their European Championship qualifying matches against Italy and Scotland.

Saha, who underwent a knee operation in June, was expected to be among United’s substitutes against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, having trained well all week, but he was withdrawn from the squad at a late stage. Ferguson insisted afterwards that the 29-year-old would be fit to play against Sunderland this Saturday, but United are worried about the prospect of letting the player join up with France, given that he has previously suffered injuries while on international duty.

Ferguson was unhappy with Saha’s unwillingness to push himself through the rehabilitation process late last season, particularly after he pulled out of a match away to Everton at a critical stage in the title race, and, while the manager now appears happy to take a more cautious approach, others are running out of patience.

Speaking on MUTV after Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham, Lou Macari, the former United player, described news of Saha’s withdrawal as “farcical”, adding that “until he makes that first move, he’s always going to be behind in fitness and in playing games”.

If true, it'd lend credence to any stories of us signing another striker.

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2337508.ece

Saha testing United’s patience with constant injuries
Oliver Kay
Louis Saha is facing a test of his priorities at Manchester United after another aborted comeback attempt at the weekend. The injury-troubled forward has severely tested Sir Alex Ferguson’s patience, having started only one Barclays Premier League match since January 1, and there is concern behind the scenes at Old Trafford over the possibility of a call-up to the France squad next week for their European Championship qualifying matches against Italy and Scotland.

Saha, who underwent a knee operation in June, was expected to be among United’s substitutes against Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday, having trained well all week, but he was withdrawn from the squad at a late stage. Ferguson insisted afterwards that the 29-year-old would be fit to play against Sunderland this Saturday, but United are worried about the prospect of letting the player join up with France, given that he has previously suffered injuries while on international duty.

Ferguson was unhappy with Saha’s unwillingness to push himself through the rehabilitation process late last season, particularly after he pulled out of a match away to Everton at a critical stage in the title race, and, while the manager now appears happy to take a more cautious approach, others are running out of patience.

Speaking on MUTV after Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Tottenham, Lou Macari, the former United player, described news of Saha’s withdrawal as “farcical”, adding that “until he makes that first move, he’s always going to be behind in fitness and in playing games”.

If true, it'd lend credence to any stories of us signing another striker.
??

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:57 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I'm a big fan of Saha but if he gets called up for France and actually goes along I will be stunned.

I think it's too late for a new striker anyway, there aren't even any rumours, that I know of anyway.

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
??
Hmmmm, you'd expect better of The Times eh?

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop

I think it's too late for a new striker anyway, there aren't even any rumours, that I know of anyway.
I'm starting to think it's a possibility.

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:59 AM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
I'm a big fan of Saha but if he gets called up for France and actually goes along I will be stunned.

Well Fuzzy, if you don't know of any more stories / rumours then that's good enough for me

He can join up with them for me but if he gets injured or plays then he needs a good kicking IMHO.

Unread 29-08-2007, 07:59 AM
The Return of JC

A more interesting story?

Only in the sense that it's slightly longer and it thinks United drew with Spurs.

That part is quite interesting.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:01 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
A more interesting story?

Only in the sense that it's slightly longer and it thinks United drew with Spurs.

That part is quite interesting.
No, the part suggesting that United are tired of Saha pulling out of games and might be finally ready to pull the trigger on a new striker. I think that's more interesting than a story that Saha has joined the thousands of other athletes who go to Sports psychologists.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Whalefish

Utd linked with Anelka, Defoe and Berbs today.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Fuzzy Dunlop

I'd take Defoe. Can't believe I just posted that.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:04 AM
antonin jablonsky

http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...692395,00.html

The consensus along Fleet Street is that ManYoo boss Sir Alex Ferguson wants to sign a new striker but that he is running out of time and Dimitar Berbatov is too expensive.

With the injury-prone Louis Saha continuing to produce sick-notes, Carlos Tevez remains the only fit striker at Sir Alex's disposal. Berbatov, of whom Ferguson is a long-time admirer, would represent a high-class solution to the striker shortage, but Tottenham are in no mood to sell.

'Even United's planned bid today for Berbatov of £22million - twice what Tottenham paid Bayer Leverkusen for the Bulgarian barely a year ago - falls well short of being an offer Spurs cannot refuse,' reports The Daily Mail.

It is a point reiterated by The Times, which claims: 'A deal for Berbatov always looked problematic this summer, after an unsuccessful inquiry in June, but, while that situation will be revisited, possibly in January, United are scouring Europe in search of alternatives for the immediate future.'

'United are aware that Nicolas Anelka could be available from Bolton Wanderers for about £8million and that there is a chance of luring either Obafemi Martins or, intriguingly, Michael Owen from Newcastle United. All three have been discussed at Old Trafford during the summer, with Anelka the subject of a tentative and informal inquiry to Bolton in May, but Ferguson and Carlos Queiroz, his assistant, are not convinced of the merits of signing any of them.'

However, The Daily Mirrror believes differently.

According to the newspaper, 'Manchester United and Manchester City are locked in a fierce battle to sign Bolton striker Nicolas Anelka before Friday's transfer deadline.

'Sir Alex Ferguson wants £12million Anelka to solve his striker crisis at United, while City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is keen to bring the Frenchman back to his former club to inject some quality into his front line.'

The increasing likelihood of Ferguson launching a bid for either Anelka or Tottenham's Jermain Defoe would have repercussions up and down the league.

The Sun claims that Chelski and Tottenham are currently discussing a swap deal involving Defoe and Shaun Wright-Phillips, while Derby County's £6m offer for Portsmouth's David Nugent, who only moved to the south coast seven weeks ago, will only be successful if Pompey first acquire Anelka from Bolton.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:05 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I'd take Defoe. Can't believe I just posted that.
I wouldn't.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:05 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
No, the part suggesting that United are tired of Saha pulling out of games and might be finally ready to pull the trigger on a new striker. I think that's more interesting than a story that Saha has joined the thousands of other athletes who go to Sports psychologists.
Slightly more grounded in common sense, sure. I'm sure they are getting frustrated. Why wouldn't they be? Who isn't? Kind of stating the obvious really.

Hardly news worthy.

Fergie seems far less inpatiant than he did at the end of last year. Besides, he was expected back about this time anway so it's not like he's even behind schedule. Why would it suddenly be an issue again with a few days of the T window left? If it was that big a problem then they'd have signed a replacement already.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:07 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
I wouldn't.
I don't understand the stick that Defoe gets on here. I'm not saying I want him because I think we need someone with some height and presence IF we get someone else, but Defoe is quick and a good goal scorer and would fit in ok.

He's not great, but not worthy of the stick on here.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:07 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Slightly more grounded in common sense, sure. I'm sure they are getting frustrated. Why wouldn't they be? Who isn't? Kind of stating the obvious really.

Hardly news worthy.

Fergie seems far less inpatiant than he did at the end of last year. Besides, he was expected back about this time anway so it's not like he's even behind schedule. Why would it suddenly be an issue again with a few days of the T window left? If it was that big a problem then they'd have signed a replacement already.
Yes but Fergie was very positive, basically certain, that Saha would be fit for Spurs. Saha being unavailable again may just be the camel paralysing straw.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:08 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
I don't understand the stick that Defoe gets on here. I'm not saying I want him because I think we need someone with some height and presence IF we get someone else, but Defoe is quick and a good goal scorer and would fit in ok.

He's not great, but not worthy of the stick on here.

I didn't give him stick, just said I wouldn't sign him.

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Mr_Ed

Why take Defoe..? we'd have a strike force of midgets...

Unread 29-08-2007, 08:09 AM
puressence

saha wants shooting

Whalefish

If Ajax are knocked out tonight. £12million for Huntelaar, forget about berbatov. He'll be at Madrid next Summer anyways.

puressence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Why take Defoe..? we'd have a strike force of midgets...
alll we would be missing was snow white
Closed Thread