Closed Thread

Unread 29-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Good of them.

Should be the £#%&!ing founder.
100% this.

From its inception, until he retired he won 13 titles in 21 seasons. And in the 8 seasons where he didn't win it, he came 2nd 5 times & 3rd 3 times. How the flying £#%&! can you not have him as the first name in there?

Unread 29-03-2023, 01:56 PM
Ethers

Because it was originally announced as being for players only.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:01 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
love this place. People raging that Ferguson wasn’t the first manager inducted, when in fact he is the first manager inducted.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Bunker Buster

Hall of fame rage

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:14 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
What's the Premier League Hall of Fame? A place? A list? What's it for?
It's american.

Unread 29-03-2023, 02:49 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Wenger was a very good manager, his teams played some really lovely stuff at times. That Arsenal team from 2002-2005 really did play great football mostly, no denying it.

He also did very well to keep Arsenal competitive in his latter years whilst they sold their best players every year to pay for that stadium, finishing top 4 every season.

But it has to be said the Arsenal sides he built, particularly when Adams, Bould, Winterburn, Dixon and Wright were gone, were always a bunch of preening whingers who could dish it out but couldn't take it.

He also benefitted hugely from walking into a squad that contained Denis Bergkamp, Ian Wright and arguably the best back 5 in the country, even though they were all getting on a bit. He got a great base to build from with them but you have to hold your hands up and say that Anelka, Petit, Vieira and Overmars were inspired signings.

All in all he was a very good manager but he's far from the revolutionary figure that journos in this country want to paint him as.
Good player though he was, I think Pires played a big part in the fannyisation of the PL.

Unread 29-03-2023, 03:16 PM
Dr Stranger

I like Wenger. Always have. His achievements are overstated though. The ‘rivalry’ with Fergie inflates it.

They were very good from 97-99, 03-05, but that’s about it. Over, what, 20 years?

U wot m8?

(Haven’t even got the number of titles right)

Unread 29-03-2023, 03:26 PM
Buck

A lot of the loudest Arsenal fans making it out that Wenger was the one thing holding them back have been proven wrong. It's been five years since he left and this is the first season they will finish in the top four without him. He took a ton of abuse and if I'm right only went back to the Emirates for the first time this season. I think in the first half of his tenure among his best assets was spotting raw talent and nurturing them to become top class. But in those teams he also had experienced players. The second half of his tenure is where he seemed fixated on trying to win with youth only but he signed a lot of cheap flops while becoming a broken record of how he almost signed so and so who is now world class.

Unread 29-03-2023, 03:33 PM
AK14

Wenger was a very good manager who had arsenal playing great football at times

Fergie shits all over his achievements with double-doubles, a treble, back to back titles and European cups.

They are not the same.

Unread 29-03-2023, 04:49 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I like Wenger. Always have. His achievements are overstated though. The ‘rivalry’ with Fergie inflates it.

They were very good from 97-99, 03-05, but that’s about it. Over, what, 20 years?

https://twitter.com/mirrorfootball/s...aSbh7vgQsN2lEQ

U wot m8?

(Haven’t even got the number of titles right)
I think that’s a bit silly really. There was a span of about 8 seasons where they were either 1st or 2nd. I don’t there’s many teams who have replicated that kind of consistency.

He was there for 22 years, and for the first 20 seasons never had them finish out of the top 4.

Did he hit the heights Fergie did? No, clearly not. Is what he achieved still incredibly impressive? Of course it is.

Unread 29-03-2023, 05:36 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
love this place. People raging that Ferguson wasn’t the first manager inducted, when in fact he is the first manager inducted.
Ffs

Wenger went toe to toe with Fergie for years. Being the 2nd greatest to Fergie is still more than most managers achieve.

Pioneered the sleeping bag jacket too.

Unread 29-03-2023, 05:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I think that’s a bit silly really. There was a span of about 8 seasons where they were either 1st or 2nd. I don’t there’s many teams who have replicated that kind of consistency.

He was there for 22 years, and for the first 20 seasons never had them finish out of the top 4.

Did he hit the heights Fergie did? No, clearly not. Is what he achieved still incredibly impressive? Of course it is.
I don’t disagree that he’s a top manager and did an impressive job. I also like his style where others found him off putting. I just don’t think he revolutionised things the way people suggest he did and the comparisons with Fergie are way off. A lot of his success was, as you say, finishing top four which, for a club like Arsenal, isn’t exactly incredible stuff.

Of that 2nd place finishes in those 8 seasons, few were actually competitive. It’s an admiral stat, but hardly worthy of greatness to simply finish quite high up the league.

It’s like comparing Andy Murray to the other big three. The numbers are ludicrously far out for comparison.

Unread 29-03-2023, 08:48 PM
AK14

Sky keep saying “a combined 16 league titles”…

Why are they and a lot of others even pretending they’re on the same level? Wenger was good… Fergie was one of a kind.

Unread 29-03-2023, 08:51 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Sky keep saying “a combined 16 league titles”…

Why are they and a lot of others even pretending they’re on the same level? Wenger was good… Fergie was one of a kind.
Me and Fergie have a combined 13

Unread 29-03-2023, 08:56 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
think that video was the clincher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedkelly
love this place. People raging that ferguson wasn’t the first manager inducted, when in fact he is the first manager inducted.

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:11 PM
MagnificentSeven

not going to argue with wenger's inclusion. he built some iconic, if not legendary sides and didn't throw money at them like chelsea and city have done. i know he was our direct rival for a few years but fair enough, i say.

obviously he's not fergie's equal but he is maybe the second greatest premier league manager of all time.

Unread 29-03-2023, 09:56 PM
Bunker Buster

I'm closing the Hall de Fame

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:01 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I'm closing the Hall de Fame

… for an hour…

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:22 PM
measlyshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
First joint manager, not first. Have it right.

Unread 29-03-2023, 10:41 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by measlyshark
First joint manager, not first. Have it right.
Joint first manager, not first joint manager. He was never a joint manager, whatever Shorts claims.
Closed Thread