United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 23-03-2024, 10:05 PM
armchair

Exactly what we need at Manchester United.

Unread 23-03-2024, 10:12 PM
Sparky***

Midfield was ok. Forward line was absolutely shite. Watkins spent the entire game running away from the goal and nobody else even bothered to get into the area.

Classic Southgate

Unread 23-03-2024, 10:14 PM
larry

still, good news about top gun maverick

Unread 23-03-2024, 11:50 PM
croady26

Keep that clown Southgate away from Utd job, however should be targeting Nagelsmann though looking at Germany tonight

Unread 24-03-2024, 08:51 AM
Dr Stranger

Unread 24-03-2024, 09:00 AM
Stickman

Absolutely pizzazz.

Unread 24-03-2024, 11:58 AM
Offerington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky*** View Post
Midfield was ok. Forward line was absolutely shite. Watkins spent the entire game running away from the goal and nobody else even bothered to get into the area.

Classic Southgate
Watkins is not an international footballer ffs. Chilwell same. Dunk even worse. Lots of utter shite still in this England squad.

Unread 24-03-2024, 12:03 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offerington View Post
Watkins is not an international footballer ffs. Chilwell same. Dunk even worse. Lots of utter shite still in this England squad.
Get past the first choice lot and it's not great. I think it was around the 85th minute, they're losing 1-0 at home in a friendly, Rashford has the ball wide looks up and there's one player in the box vs about 6 brazil defenders. That, to me, sums england up under southgate - cautious to a fault. In a £#%&!ing friendly.

If Harry Kane gets injured around a major tournament, England are £#%&!ed because aside from Bellingham there was absolutely nobody making runs into the box.

Still it was interesting to see this modern Brazil side cast off the old image of Joyful, skilful, joga bonito style and fully embrace their south american shithouse side, rack up 20 odd cynical fouls with one yellow card to show for them

Unread 24-03-2024, 12:23 PM
Offerington

Quote:
Get past the first choice lot and it's not great. I think it was around the 85th minute, they're losing 1-0 at home in a friendly, Rashford has the ball wide looks up and there's one player in the box vs about 6 brazil defenders. That, to me, sums england up under southgate - cautious to a fault. In a £#%&!ing friendly.

If Harry Kane gets injured around a major tournament, England are £#%&!ed because aside from Bellingham there was absolutely nobody making runs into the box.

Still it was interesting to see this modern Brazil side cast off the old image of Joyful, skilful, joga bonito style and fully embrace their south american shithouse side, rack up 20 odd cynical fouls with one yellow card to show for them
Spot on as per mate

Unread 24-03-2024, 02:29 PM
pedr0

that's why I don't fully buy the "Southgate has underachieved" narrative. the squad has always tended to have an uneven distribution of talent. currently its thin at GK, LB, CB, and to a lesser extent CM and CF.

Unread 24-03-2024, 03:14 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
that's why I don't fully buy the "Southgate has underachieved" narrative. the squad has always tended to have an uneven distribution of talent. currently its thin at GK, LB, CB, and to a lesser extent CM and CF.
It's comparative to the opposition and his ballsiing up of the most favourable draws imaginable.

Unread 24-03-2024, 03:24 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0 View Post
currently its thin at GK, LB, CB, and to a lesser extent CM and CF.
That's balls tbf. The sqaud includes the first team and even outside of that, he has a huge range of top quality to choose from.

Unread 24-03-2024, 04:27 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao View Post
It's comparative to the opposition and his ballsiing up of the most favourable draws imaginable.
Yep. I’ve mentioned it a million times on here but that final against Italy, England were in control midway through the second half and Rice was covering absolutely everything. What did Southgate do? Took Rice off and left Kalvin Philips on, and from then on England were on the back foot. That sub there lost them that final imo. He’s a crap manager.

Unread 24-03-2024, 11:03 PM
Msgr A Brook

If England haven't got a better goalkeeper than Pickford they'd better pack it in now. The midget has been stuck at Everton for years, mid table clubs wouldn't take him. For all the goalkeeping aficionados out there watch Peter Shilton in the penalty shootout from Italia 90. He moves before every one, dives the right way for every one and doesn't get near any of 'em. It looks like they've dragged him out of the pub. Anyway I digress, Pickford is shit.

Unread 24-03-2024, 11:05 PM
armchair

Quote:
It's almost 50 years since a brazil side tried playing football. (82)

Unread 24-03-2024, 11:07 PM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgr A Brook View Post
If England haven't got a better goalkeeper than Pickford they'd better pack it in now. The midget has been stuck at Everton for years, mid table clubs wouldn't take him. For all the goalkeeping aficionados out there watch Peter Shilton in the penalty shootout from Italia 90. He moves before every one, dives the right way for every one and doesn't get near any of 'em. It looks like they've dragged him out of the pub. Anyway I digress, Pickford is shit.
He’s standard England fare. Played a couple of good games some time back, won plaudits for them in the media, ergo irreplaceable.

Unread 25-03-2024, 12:01 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgr A Brook View Post
This is the worst group of English keepers in my lifetime. Comfortably too. In fact, the standards of keepers is pretty shit IMO. This obsession with playing out from the back and keepers being like outfield players distracts from tjs fact that most of them aren’t very good.

Arsenal have two midget trying to out-shit each other. Ederson is one of the most overrated keepers of the last ten years, Pickford is like Scrappy Doo because he needs to be and Alison, although the best of a bad bunch, isn’t a patch on the great premier league keepers. Obviously Liverpool fans think he’s the best of all time

Unread 25-03-2024, 12:06 AM
armchair

England have the best squad in the world by a distance.

#@&%! manager who just hopes to win games through attrition.

Unread 25-03-2024, 12:16 AM
Finport Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair View Post
England have the best squad in the world by a distance.

#@&%! manager who just hopes to win games through attrition.
Oooh, the boss on here doesn’t like you using this word.

Err, hang on…

Unread 25-03-2024, 12:28 AM
armchair

I don't like to use the r-word. I get that parents of special needs kids find it offensive. I don't think it's used in the same way but who are we asking to understand the nuance?