United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-09-2008, 02:49 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up South American WC Qualifiers on Sky tonight

Argentina vs Paraguay followed by Ecuador vs Bolivia.

Both on Sky Sports 2 from 8pm

Unread 06-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Sloppy

Messi looks to Olympic spirit for victory

Updated: September 5, 2008, 4:05 PM UK
Lionel Messi believes the Beijing spirit will help Argentina beat group leaders Paraguay as the World Cup qualifiers resume on Saturday.

The striker is optimistic after the Albicelestes' Olympic performance, and believes coach Alfio Basile will select a number of the young players who brought home gold from China.

'I hope we can achieve with the senior team what we did in China,' he said.

'Over there we eliminated Brazil and that was nice for us and the fans, because of the way we won. Now we have the chance to continue showing that.'

The Barcelona man is wary of Paraguay, though, as the Guaranies top the South American qualifying group with 13 points from six matches.

'They are in good form as they are leaders and we will have to be careful. But we have everything ready in attack, as there are the same players that won the gold,' he added.

Argentina are second with 11 points, two behind Saturday's opposition, who have already beaten Brazil in this campaign.

Coach Gerardo Martino is waiting on the fitness of strike duo Roque Santa Cruz and Salvador Cabanas, but insists Paraguay will not hesitate to attack Basile's men.

'We will try to play as far up the pitch as possible and try to keep possession. Argentina are strong when they keep the ball for long periods,' Martino said.

Striker Nelson Haedo Valdez, who could replace one of the crocked pair, believes the visitors have a chance of winning.

He said: 'We respect Argentina, but that doesn't mean that we are going to defend. We have a team strong enough to beat them.

'A draw could be a good result, but we are more optimistic every day and we want to write our page in history and finish (the qualifying group) as winners.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/preview...LDQ.CONME BOL

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
The Watcher

Cheers for that Sloppy.

Has there been any word on the likely starting XI. I wonder if Tevez's recent performances for United will see him force his way back in?

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Cheers for that Sloppy.

Has there been any word on the likely starting XI. I wonder if Tevez's recent performances for United will see him force his way back in?
It has a line up on there but its not always correct.Id expect him to play though.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?i...LDQ.CONMEBO L

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Serenity Now

Tevez is playing. He's been ripping it up in training all week. Scored the two goals in the 40-minute practice match for the first choice 11 against the U-20s on Wednesday.

Word is that Benfica's Angel Di Marķa is likely starting as well. Was excellent at the Olympics and has apparently been hugely impressive in training too.

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity Now
Word is that Benfica's Angel Di Marķa is likely starting as well. Was excellent at the Olympics and has apparently been hugely impressive in training too.
He scored in the final, right?

I'd love to see El Kun, Tevez and Messi all in the same forward line

Unread 06-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
He scored in the final, right?
Yep. If he can push on and really establish himself at Benfica this season, I think they'll possibly struggle to hold onto him past next summer. Even before he moved to Portugal, I know that United were tracking him and that Arsenal came very close to signing him.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Sloppy

Argies one down after Heinze #@&%! up.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Kill All Hippies

Scouse loving traitorous @#%&!. Tevez sporting some kind of flash Argie headband that I would loathe on any other player. Love that dude...

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kill All Hippies
Scouse loving traitorous @#%&!. Tevez sporting some kind of flash Argie headband that I would loathe on any other player. Love that dude...
Looks lively Tevez.Love him.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Kill All Hippies

Good god Messi is quality. I love this current batch of Argie players, Heinze excepted.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Vic Mackey

Tevez Off!

Again.

At least he'll be well rested

Sloppy

Tevez sent off.Wasnt as bad as the refs made it out to be.

Vic Mackey

Looked soft to me. Should have been a yellow.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Thiago

Am I a @#%&! for revelling in that?

3 match ban, carlos might be disappointed but now we'll get him back early for the Liverpool game and he won't be flying over to South America for the next international break.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Vic Mackey

Argies are up against against now. They could do with a win after their draws with Brazil, Columbia and I think another team too.

Paraguay are a tough set of bastards and are very organised.

Their keeper, Cardisso? He is well shaky.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Sloppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago

3 match ban, carlos might be disappointed but now we'll get him back early for the Liverpool game and he won't be flying over to South America for the next international break.
No.So he misses the next game does he?If so quality.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Thiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Misses the next game - travels home early

Misses the next double header - won't need to leave Manchester at all.

Tevez is clearly prioritising United over Argentina.

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy
Comes back early and misses the next set of games

Unread 06-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiago

Great minds
Closed Thread