United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Der Kaiser

Baddiel and Skinner are rushing to a recording studio as we speak.

saffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
And an approach that suggests they're going to allow other teams the initiative in Brazil.

Midfield should be Carrick-Barkley-Wilshere. This pairing will cost them badly against better sides. They can hype Peru up all they want but their away record over the last 15 years is diabolical. Not to mention they're without Pizarro, Farfan, Vargas and Guerrero.
At least the likes of Shaw, Barkley and Sterling will have been given some experience this time. Somebody needs to sit them down and tell them to play the u21 tournament next summer too, don't make the mistake Wilshere, Jones and the Ox made.

In the face of the ridiculous overhyping of Liverpools english players, Sterling probably the only of the Liverpool English crew who have deserved hype, if anything still a bit underrated. Was really surprised by just how good he was in the first few weeks of the 12/13 season.. Said then we should stick a cheeky bid in.

Not even bitter, nobody was saying in January to "build around liverpool". Dont tell me Glen Johnson should even be in this squad if you are serious. Don't tell me jordan henderson is better than carrick, wilshere, barkley or heck even barry just cos he runs around a lot.

armchair

name on the world cup.

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:40 PM
wonky no

i like hodgson. good manager.

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:41 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no

Better than 'Arry'

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:41 PM
red in cumbria

How many Hollywood passes has Gerrard misjudged so far, then?

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:46 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
At least the likes of Shaw, Barkley and Sterling will have been given some experience this time. Somebody needs to sit them down and tell them to play the u21 tournament next summer too, don't make the mistake Wilshere, Jones and the Ox made.

In the face of the ridiculous overhyping of Liverpools english players, Sterling probably the only of the Liverpool English crew who have deserved hype, if anything still a bit underrated. Was really surprised by just how good he was in the first few weeks of the 12/13 season.. Said then we should stick a cheeky bid in.

Not even bitter, nobody was saying in January to "build around liverpool". Dont tell me Glen Johnson should even be in this squad if you are serious. Don't tell me jordan henderson is better than carrick, wilshere, barkley or heck even barry just cos he runs around a lot.
Especially if they're going to play this slow-paced stuff.

Same with Gerrard. For all the hype about his adopted deeper position, players who drop back into that role are usually the ones with a brain. Take out Gerrard's capacity to cover ground and get forward to score goals and you're left with a guy who really is only going to contribute the odd hollywood pass, which in the heat will make him even more of a liability.

If Hodgson has decided to set a slow tempo to deal with the heat, surely you'd pick more technical players like Carrick and Wilshere who can actually make the ball do the work. Barkley and Ox can offer the ability to beat a man. Gerrard and Henderson with Rooney dropping back will be brutally exposed by any side with decent movement of the ball.

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonky no

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:55 PM
ZiggyStardust

Dull half with lots of players lacking sharpness

Henderson has been awful which isn't a surprise as he always is when playing that deep midfield role
Done well for Liverpool as a box to box midfielder making runs in behind the opposition back 4 but he's not going to get that role with England

Rooney looks well off match sharpness. Got caught on the ball numerous times
Unless he improves against in the rest of the warm up games then he doesn't deserve to start against Italy

Unread 30-05-2014, 08:56 PM
armchair

england will run around for the first ten minutes of games and then run out of stamina in the heat

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:01 PM
taff

feel like i'm being punished for my sins in a previous life by having to listen to glenn hoddle.

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Marvel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Kaiser
if they had a good coach they would have been a threat at the world cup.
No they wouldn't

hope that helps

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Sparky***

I almost forgot what a liability glen Johnson is

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:25 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel7
No they wouldn't

hope that helps
...................hart.............
johnson...jones...cahill...shaw
.................carrick..............
.........wilshere...barkley/ox....
.....lallana...........welbeck......
................rooney...............

Okay the defence is suspect (like a few at the WC) but that's a good side. Sterling, Ox/Barkley, Sturridge, Clevz, Lamps as sub options.

But Hodgson will probably base his side on a slow tempo and an awful midfield, just as he did at the Euros.

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Peru's away record in the last ten years, btw

P: 23
W: 0
D: 2
L: 21

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:28 PM
taff

hope you were watching that rio.

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Sparky***

Playing Rooney in a ' deeper role' is going to be a disaster. He looks dreadful. Touch is too heavy, passing too erratic.

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:33 PM
dunk

Didn't even know England were playing

What's happening?

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:36 PM
ziggyman17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Playing Rooney in a ' deeper role' is going to be a disaster. He looks dreadful. Touch is too heavy, passing too erratic.
up top as the main striker or on the bench... He will get a shock next season with Van Gaal... Not a sniff of Van Gaal pandering to him like Moyes did..... Expect a transfer request to be handed in by the first week of September...

Unread 30-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Der Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyman17
up top as the main striker or on the bench... He will get a shock next season with Van Gaal... Not a sniff of Van Gaal pandering to him like Moyes did..... Expect a transfer request to be handed in by the first week of September...
Jonathan Wilson seems to believe that Rooney is the player van Gaal will look to to play the role that Litmanen did at Ajax. It's been a long time since I saw that Ajax team play, but I don't remember Litmanen struggling with the basics when being played in that withdrawn role, It seems to happen to Rooney far too often.
Closed Thread