United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
jem

Default giggs has stunk up the place for the last couple of games.

I love him. it's just a dip in form. but he needs to up it on tuesday, big time.

I am going to put money on him scoring. not an ordinary goal. this one.... this one is going to be special.

Unread 08-04-2007, 01:49 PM
koppas

Have to agree.

His display yesterday was absolutely shocking. Worst I have ever seen him play.

shadowplay

Yesterday, he was diabolical.

Gave the ball away on countless occasions

Drove me £#%&!ing mad.

Sparky***

He looks a bit, well......old, really. He came on yesterday with his greying temples and looked well, well off the pace.

Worrying that we don't have anyone to replace him.

Unread 08-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Tiberian

The thing about Giggs is that even when playing utter shit he will still do 2/3 things that could win you the game. Always been the way with him, frustrating though it is.

Twice put Rooney through with excellent passes, one wrongly called offside, the other led to the penalty appeal, Set up Brown with a fine right foot cross which he headed badly straight at the keeper, and forced James into a great save with a good strike from the edge of the box.

Keeps giving the ball away badly at the moment though, he looks tired to me.

Good shout for Tuesday though, he has always tended to put on his best performances in Europe.

Unread 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM
24hr Leavesey

I hope he's tucked up in bed. Two days rest in between games does not make for good prep.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench come Tuesday.

Unread 08-04-2007, 01:58 PM
jem

leaving aside the fact that replacing giggs is £#%&!ing impossible, even if we had a unlimited budget....

the people who have said everything is going very nicely (and I don't mean to turn this into an anti-glazer rant, merely a comment on the state of the squad) seem to have overlooked the need for some squad depth to get us through injuries (to saha, neville g, vidic, evra), to allow our older players to rest (scholes, giggs, ole... although scholes is making his own rest breaks, gawd bless 'im) and to offer some kind of variation in midfield to the scholes/carrick partnership.

we simply haven't bought the required players and when we go into a game with too many of the fletch, richardson, o'shea, heinze (sorry, but it's true) types and with no one up front (wayne isn't really a target man), it shows. now it's true we put out a team "good enough to beat portsmouth" (in theory) and it's true we were £#%&!ing robbed by the linesmen twice and it's true rio and vds made uncharacteristic errors (funny how the only two first choice players have cracked under the pressure of playing with an unsettled back four), but.... we knew we only really had a chance if we could put our first choice players out often. and some of them look knackered. against roma, a few of them looked more than tired - they looked scared.

in the league, we may limp home as chelsea have a relatively tough programme, but we are not looking like the form horse. in the cups... I don't think we'll be out of both this week, but we really aren't peaking. this is where the cracks start to show. we needed fresh faces in january (if not last summer). and we didn't get them.

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:07 PM
24hr Leavesey

Hey Jem, I agree entirely.

Just wouldn't be shocked if he was benched is all.

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
jem's kind streak

was meant to follow on from sparky's comment.

I'd be very surprised to see him on the bench on tuesday. first, because scholes is misssing and so giggs and carrick will be the obvious central pairing (at the very least, we'll need giggs somewhere or will have something dangerously close to a carling cup side out). secondly, because I'd rather assumed giggs was rested against portsmouth so that he would be fresh for tuesday.

£#%&! me, that carling cup comment was only slightly tongue-in-cheek. if saha isn't fit, that is precisely what it will be - the replacements, plus ronaldo and rooney. classic carling cup stuff. in the quarter-final of the european cup needing a win against "one of the better teams" in the competition. yikes!

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Tumescent Throb

The problems stem entirely from one, some or all of the following:

The one area of the pitch where we have more than enough quality cover/strength in depth has been stretched to breaking point.

It is also the most vital in terms of setting the platform for the rest of the team to go and strut their stuff, and while they are playing getting to know you the rest of the team is bound to suffer.

Giggs should not have been needed yesterday, even if we were behind at the break. But Park's absence is crucial, with Fletcher being forced back early to do his best as a consequence, and Richardson yet again failing to show any kind of value in his presence in the squad. The players must get seriously pissed off with his inclusion by now.

Portsmouth love getting us down there, and sandwiched between the Roma games this match was always going to be an accident waiting to happen, anyway.

Teh thing I don't understand is why United went straight to Portsmouth from Rome. Seem to remember they did something similar once before and it didn't go too well. Can't recall which games it involved, but anyway. Seemed a bit of a strange decision to me, even if it did save a fair bit of travelling.

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:48 PM
1MUFC

There is more chance of my arse healing up than us winning 1-0 like one or two players have hinted at, so we are either going out or its going to be an unbelievable European night, I am going with the later, sing boo and swear until you go blue in the face you @#%&!s. Chivu and Totti are to be singled out as well. When they take a corner boo them before they get over to take and whilst they are taking it. You get the jist i am sure.

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
jem's kind streak

may not play.

personally, I hope he plays. the @#%&!.

Unread 08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
I'd be very surprised to see him on the bench on tuesday. first, because scholes is misssing
Totally forgot about that.

Quote:
secondly, because I'd rather assumed giggs was rested against portsmouth so that he would be fresh for tuesday.
Me too, but the reason I suggested Giggs may be benched was bcause he looked bloody knackered yesterday. So tired he hardly put his hands on his hips, and we all know he only does that when he plays poorly.

Unread 08-04-2007, 03:03 PM
jem's kind streak

but the alternative is..... um..... anyone......? a central midfield of carrick and fletcher, with ronaldo and richardson playing wide?

Unread 08-04-2007, 03:10 PM
24hr Leavesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem's kind streak
but the alternative is..... um..... anyone......? a central midfield of carrick and fletcher, with ronaldo and richardson playing wide?
Throw Park and maybe Evra into that mix, and yeah

Unread 08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Firswood Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The thing about Giggs is that even when playing utter shit he will still do 2/3 things that could win you the game. Always been the way with him, frustrating though it is.

Twice put Rooney through with excellent passes, one wrongly called offside, the other led to the penalty appeal, Set up Brown with a fine right foot cross which he headed badly straight at the keeper, and forced James into a great save with a good strike from the edge of the box.

Keeps giving the ball away badly at the moment though, he looks tired to me.

Good shout for Tuesday though, he has always tended to put on his best performances in Europe.

Agreed. He's played to much recently, Tuesday will be the 3rd week in a row where he's played midweek. Giggs is really only cut out for 1 game a week these days.

Unread 08-04-2007, 04:31 PM
jem's kind streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24hr Leavesey
Throw Park and maybe Evra into that mix, and yeah
I'm guessing park is still out.

as for evra, if he's fit he should go straight in at left-back.

Unread 08-04-2007, 04:32 PM
magic_cantona

We should all boo Giggs like we all did a few years back.

Agree, he's going to do something very special.......

Unread 08-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
in the league, we may limp home as chelsea have a relatively tough programme, but we are not looking like the form horse. in the cups... I don't think we'll be out of both this week, but we really aren't peaking. this is where the cracks start to show. we needed fresh faces in january (if not last summer). and we didn't get them.
Our lack of true squad depth is coming home to roost at the most crucial time of the season. If the rent boys don't drop any points in their next two league games (both away) I fear we may be £#%&!ed. This of course assumes that we win our two games at home. Three of Chelsea's last four are at home while our fixtures are the opposite. The only silver lining I can see is that with the exception of the game against them and the last game of the season we play before them each time as we all know what happens when they play first.

Unread 08-04-2007, 05:59 PM
jem's kind streak

of the way we've played. they couldn't have done much better overall and they've had no rest except injuries and suspensions. it would be a shame if they lost it just because too much is being asked of them.

I think chelsea will drop points. they've been playing poorly and just getting by. they played the spurs second team on saturday. scholes will be a bit rested. the only thing that worries me is that fergie prefers players like fletch and richardson to smith. smith is the kind of player we need to step in and give some £#%&!ing heart to the team instead of looking like a training cone or a #@&%!y headless chicken. if saha can get fit long enough to give us some power up front, all will be well and we'll limp home.

when I look at the fixtures, I can imagine chelsea not winning another game this season. of course, they will scab a few wins. if they win them all.... well, we'll just have to do the same. the game at stamford bridge will be interesting. I would actually like to wrap up the league by beating chelsea fairly and squarely. they do not £#%&!ing deserve it.
Closed Thread