United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2010, 07:42 PM
red in cumbria

Default Re: Mark Hughes

I suppose I might dislike him a bit less if Fulham take points off Ciddy this season......

He will have them up for it, that's for sure

Unread 26-08-2010, 11:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by safingtons
He's a United legend though, surely with him learning the hard way after his affair with City should allow the man to be respected for his time at United again?
"hero", maybe..."legend", absolutely not.

Unread 26-08-2010, 11:28 PM
dunk

He was a hero for me when playing for United, a fantastic striker, but almost as soon as he left my fondness for him evaporated. I didn't mind him doing well at Southampton or with Wales, but I seriously disliked him everywhere else and hated him at Blackburn, joining City was the last straw, for me. I'll always hate him, but will still have fond memories of him in a United shirt ( although, I'm sure he's a nice bloke and i wouldn't hold it against him if I knew him. Hate is such a strong word )

Cole didn't bother me going to city, he was just squeezing as many pay days and games out of his career as he could. Schmeichel pissed me off, purely because he should never have left united, the tart.

Unread 26-08-2010, 11:35 PM
The Watcher

Unhappy Re: Mark Hughes

I couldn't believe it when i got back from Moscow and a mate told me he was openly supporting Chelsea as a pundit on Sky. £#%&!ing shameful, especially for a bloke who won us the Cup Winners Cup! He more then anyone should know just what winning in Europe means to our club, especially that season. Obviously, he believed the press hype at the time which was tipping him as a possible replacement for Avram Grant. His behaviour at City was just a £#%&!ing joke tbh - you'd think he was an ex-city player with the way he went on.

It's £#%&!ing gutting tbh. I hero worshiped the bloke. The goals in Rotterdam...the injury time equaliser against Oldham...these are some of my most cherished childhood memories. ffs Sparky :shakehead:

Unread 27-08-2010, 12:20 AM
taff

he obviously has some resentment towards ferguson for whatever reason, and that's coloured his memory of united and his behaviour towards us in recent years. there's some who leave with no issues and express admiration for fergie, hughes isn't one of them. and 'cos he's such a dour @#%&! the bitterness is always close to the surface.

Unread 27-08-2010, 01:12 AM
red in cumbria

Wonder if it goes back to him being sold to Barca - though even SAF wasn't around *that* long ago

Unread 27-08-2010, 01:46 AM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfers do Charlie
The older generation that are from Manchester don't seem to have any problem with City at all. My dad's generation (in his 70s) work under the idea that Manchester is Manchester and better City than Leeds, or even a London club.

I don't know whether being a supporter during Munich had any bearing on things.
my dad who would have been in his 80s now was very unarsed about city, not pro them, just no real animosity, but as you say that could have been been going way back - using maine road etc

Unread 27-08-2010, 04:07 AM
M-13

Hate Hughes...@#%&!

Hate Schmeichel...too

Love Denis..he played for city before he came to united which most of you probably dont £#%&!in know.... ?

Up in the air with Kidd, city, arsenal too...cole etc.. not bothered..

No one else is worthy...

But you all forgot about Sammy Mac, was at City and they £#%&!in hated him, McNeil (Billy) not Tony, didnt play him for that reason..

Its all about the attitude towards United after they leave...

Unread 27-08-2010, 04:28 AM
M-13

why one of the Noonans didnt deck this @#%&! along with Hughes, who I believe will never better Edwin Van ..

Following a February 1997 match against Arsenal, Schmeichel was accused of racism by Arsenal striker Ian Wright. During the game, Schmeichel and Wright had a number of controversies, and at the end of the game, the two players confronted each other on their way off the pitch. After the game, news emerged of a police inquiry into a November 1996 match between the two clubs, where it was alleged that Schmeichel had made a racist remark. After months of politicizing by The FA and The PFA, who wanted a "converted" Schmeichel as their posterboy of the "Kick Racism out of Football" campaign, no evidence was found and the case was dropped

Unread 27-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Red Tatton

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Wonder if it goes back to him being sold to Barca - though even SAF wasn't around *that* long ago
Think a lot of it goes back to Upton park in '95 and Hughes being left on the bench.

Unread 27-08-2010, 07:59 AM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tatton
Think a lot of it goes back to Upton park in '95 and Hughes being left on the bench.
Some time after Hughes left he said something along the lines of "everytime something went wrong I always felt I was the one to blame" . Things like being left on the bench at West Ham in 95 and Forest in 92 really grated with him, I think, and he doesn't seem like someone who easily shakes it off.

Maybe he had a point in 95 but I always felt he overlooked that in many seasons with us, his scoring record in the league pre and post February were usually like chalk and cheese.

Unread 27-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Some time after Hughes left he said something along the lines of "everytime something went wrong I always felt I was the one to blame" . Things like being left on the bench at West Ham in 95 and Forest in 92 really grated with him, I think, and he doesn't seem like someone who easily shakes it off.

Maybe he had a point in 95 but I always felt he overlooked that in many seasons with us, his scoring record in the league pre and post February were usually like chalk and cheese.
Tbf I felt that was the case at the time. McClair could play like an absolute @#%&! for months on end and never get dropped yet the moment Hughes had an off-day (very rare), he'd be on the bench.

Unread 27-08-2010, 08:14 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13
why one of the Noonans didnt deck this @#%&! along with Hughes, who I believe will never better Edwin Van ..

Following a February 1997 match against Arsenal, Schmeichel was accused of racism by Arsenal striker Ian Wright. During the game, Schmeichel and Wright had a number of controversies, and at the end of the game, the two players confronted each other on their way off the pitch. After the game, news emerged of a police inquiry into a November 1996 match between the two clubs, where it was alleged that Schmeichel had made a racist remark. After months of politicizing by The FA and The PFA, who wanted a "converted" Schmeichel as their posterboy of the "Kick Racism out of Football" campaign, no evidence was found and the case was dropped
'cos nowt happened?

Unread 27-08-2010, 08:40 AM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
'cos nowt happened?
And Ian Wright doesn't have a reputation of shouting "wacist" louder that Ether when he doesn't get his way?

Unread 27-08-2010, 08:49 AM
BarryX

Mark Whose ?

Unread 27-08-2010, 09:01 AM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Tbf I felt that was the case at the time. McClair could play like an absolute @#%&! for months on end and never get dropped yet the moment Hughes had an off-day (very rare), he'd be on the bench.
Yeah, I had some sympathy with him in that McClair was shit for large parts of 80-90 and never got dropped but the second half of 92, Hughes had stopped scoring and never got the same treatment.

But I remember that period as just being unbelievably tense for about 5 months and McClair was producing the goods and Hughes wasn't.

Any love for Hughes I had has dissipated for the Chelsea support at the European Cup Final and acting the #@&%! with city but I accept it's all highly personal. Unlike most on this board I don't regard Schmeichel as a @#%&!, but that's for another thread.

Unread 27-08-2010, 09:37 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
I couldn't believe it when i got back from Moscow and a mate told me he was openly supporting Chelsea as a pundit on Sky. £#%&!ing shameful, especially for a bloke who won us the Cup Winners Cup! He more then anyone should know just what winning in Europe means to our club, especially that season. Obviously, he believed the press hype at the time which was tipping him as a possible replacement for Avram Grant. His behaviour at City was just a £#%&!ing joke tbh - you'd think he was an ex-city player with the way he went on.

It's £#%&!ing gutting tbh. I hero worshiped the bloke. The goals in Rotterdam...the injury time equaliser against Oldham...these are some of my most cherished childhood memories. ffs Sparky :shakehead:
This, Sparky was my idol as a kid, I will never forget being at wembley for his last minute equaliser. Love Sparky Hate Hughes

Unread 27-08-2010, 09:44 AM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-13
But you all forgot about Sammy Mac, was at City and they £#%&!in hated him, McNeil (Billy) not Tony, didnt play him for that reason..

Its all about the attitude towards United after they leave...
And Steve Coppell of course

Carlos to be fair at least made it clear his grievance was with Ferguson rather than the supporters. Still, he was such a @#%&! about the whole thing that I don't really bear him any sympathy. Trouble making @#%&!. £#%&! him.

Unread 27-08-2010, 11:10 AM
red in cumbria

I certainly don't regard Schmeichel as a @#%&!. He was just doing his job at City FFS

You only need to contrast him as a BBC pundit in the next few years whenever we did well (notably beating the "Invincibles" in the 2004 SF - he was grinning from ear to ear) with Hughes and his demeanour during the 2008 CL final. There is absolutely no comparison

And as for people taking Ian Wright's (IAN WRIGHT!!) side over his, give your £#%&!ing heads a wobble :shakehead:
Closed Thread