United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:22 PM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
DDG was offered a deal, it was agreed and then pulled. Don’t make things up.

Yep I’m definately saying players don’t have to take responsibility. I definately say sancho should apologise.

And I don’t really care what your match going friends think.
I talk to people who go to as many games and I’ve yet to say them single out those three specific players as opposed to the rest.
You keep saying this, but then can't understand why he's being kicked out of the club. How does the conversation go when he refuses to apologise?

"You need to apologise for what you did."

"No."

"Jaden, everyone agrees that you need to grow up and apologise for what you did and we can move on."

"No."

"attaboy, you're playing this weekend. Try not to be late again..."

Don't you think that a player being late, not training well, very publicly criticising his manager and then refusing to apologise for it being allowed to just carry on as normal would be slightly undermining for the manager of the club?

Would it not set a bad example to the rest of the squad and the players coming through?

Would it not just completely diminish any authority the manager needs to have over their players?

I honestly cannot understand how someone can say that they think he should've apologised, but then blame the manager for the player being kicked out of the club for acting like a #@&%! and refusing to apologise for it

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:26 PM
est.1878

I think the question that needs answering, via poll if necessary, is will he go on prove us all wrong as an elite player

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:27 PM
NedKelly

Marlo’s anger at Sancho’s treatment would make more sense if he had actually contributed much. He’s been £#%&!ing shit for the most part (Sancho, not marlo). And I say that as someone who genuinely thought he was going to be a top player who’d help us kick on when he first signed.

Genuinely don’t think he’d care so much if it wasn’t just another stick to beat Antony with. Odd behaviour - slightly obsessive and, dare I say it, a bit creepy?

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:29 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
I think the question that needs answering, via poll if necessary, is will he go on prove us all wrong as an elite player
He’ll probably do well at Dortmund and people will use that as stick to beat us. Even though he did well at Dortmund before.

People use Antony Elanga scoring 4 goals as evidence we shouldn’t have sold him

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:40 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
All it would prove is he wasn't a top class player as he couldn't make it at United. Exactly what ETH said this week - the shirt is too heavy for some.

Unread 10-01-2024, 02:50 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
He’ll probably do well at Dortmund and people will use that as stick to beat us. Even though he did well at Dortmund before.

People use Antony Elanga scoring 4 goals as evidence we shouldn’t have sold him
The same people - Mario - who said he was shit and should be sold.

Can’t make this up

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:05 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
All it would prove is he wasn't a top class player as he couldn't make it at United. Exactly what ETH said this week - the shirt is too heavy for some.
The nerve of him.
He has taking us backwards himself.

Anyway sancho is gone now and i hope he can fall back in love with football at Dortmund.

Have to wonder why a big German club are signing on loan this unprofessional , shit, lazy, toxic player and wanted a buy option but United refused.

Why would they want to buy such a waste of space

But then again a few northern labourers and dole dwellers know more than an everyone about everything.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:09 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
:rollseyes:
Id say being an utter melt on the pitch is the over riding thing. Can't remember one game that he memorably stood out in. Couple of decent games in no crowd covid games maybe where mentality didn't matter so much. Elite wages for an utter Meh of a player who has come through the first wave of pampered youth player entitlement era
Liverpool at home, he scored. Aaand, that's it.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:10 PM
est.1878

Quote:
The nerve of him.

Anyway sancho is gone now and i hope he can fall back in love with football at Dortmund.

Have to wonder why a big German club are signing on loan this unprofessional , shit, lazy, toxic player and wanted a buy option but United refused.

But then again a few northern labourers and dole dwellers know more than an everyone about everything.

Sancho is an interesting hill to die on tbh... Endearing though.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:14 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
The nerve of him.

A big club in England wanted him and paid £70m for him. Doesn’t change anything.

I don’t think he’s toxic. I think he’s not got the stones or mentality for it. As others have said, this isn’t out of the blue either. City ditched him. Southgate didn’t want him. He didn’t exactly shine under Ole either. In fact, he’s been unsuccessful everywhere except Dortmund.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:15 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Sancho hasn’t been ostracised because he didn’t meet a standard while selected. He hasn’t even been ostracised because he didn’t meet the standards in training. He wasn’t selected for ONE match because of a poor training week. That’s not a big deal. This happened to Garnacho last season.

The reason this came to a head is because Sancho reacted to that by going on social media and publicly undermining the manager. Whether he’s right or wrong (he’s wrong) isn’t even important. You simply can’t do that. No player can expect to publicly oppose the manager without repercussions.

Even then, a simple apology would have sufficed. An admission that this isn’t the way to go about it. But no.

So what is a manager to do then?

To concede, with nothing from the player, entirely undermines the manager and is the very definition of player power: something we’ve lamented for years.

And let’s be Frank, it’s not like he was tearing it up beforehand, is it?

Oh, and he’d already been granted unspecified leave for several months by the same manager who is apparently being very very mean to him now.

He’d done £#%&! all up to that point, took six months off and then undermined the manager.

Jesus Christ, how much leeway does these lads need for their ridiculous wage? Is it too much to ask that they maybe come in, work hard and not £#%&!ing moan or ‘do a mental health’ the moment something gets remotely difficult?

Didn’t the little fart say in his whiney statement that he was going to stay and fight for the shirt like they always do?

Where’s that fight?

The player and the person have been nothing but a disappointment since they arrived.

Another disastrous waste of money we’ve now literally got to pay someone to take.
tbf, not getting into all the rest of it because like Marlo says, Sancho should have just bitten the bullet and got on with it. BUT, the big difference with his case and that of say Garnacho or others, is that I can't remember a situation where a manager has come out after a game, after a loss, and said, that player wasn't with us cos he wasn't training well enough.

Maybe in previous era's but now, given what we understand about modern day players and egos and wealth and fragility or whatever. Rightly or wrongly that's just the reality. Given that, to come out and call the player out publicly over training you've got to be 100% confident that's going to land the right way and have the desired effect on both that individual and the rest of the group (shit if he can do that to him, then maybe he doesn't have my back etc).

So it's brave/risky/bad management/negligence to go that route (pick your poison), and it's backfired.

*this post is not to absolve Sancho as said, he should have got on with it. But he's paid to play and Erik is paid to manage the players.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:28 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
tbf, not getting into all the rest of it because like Marlo says, Sancho should have just bitten the bullet and got on with it. BUT, the big difference with his case and that of say Garnacho or others, is that I can't remember a situation where a manager has come out after a game, after a loss, and said, that player wasn't with us cos he wasn't training well enough.

Maybe in previous era's but now, given what we understand about modern day players and egos and wealth and fragility or whatever. Rightly or wrongly that's just the reality. Given that, to come out and call the player out publicly over training you've got to be 100% confident that's going to land the right way and have the desired effect on both that individual and the rest of the group (shit if he can do that to him, then maybe he doesn't have my back etc).

So it's brave/risky/bad management/negligence to go that route (pick your poison), and it's backfired.

*this post is not to absolve Sancho as said, he should have got on with it. But he's paid to play and Erik is paid to manage the players.
I think that’s overstating what he said. He was asked why Sancho wasn’t in the squad and said he didn’t have a good week training and that you have to bring the standards every week. It really wasn’t that big of a deal. He didn’t question his personality or commitment overall, just cited a bad week as to why he wasn’t there that week.

Pep did something very similar with that lad they got from Wolves in the summer. Pochettino called out basically his whole squad recently for complaining if they’re not selected.

You could argue that he didn’t need to say it, he could have said nothing, but it didn’t strike me at the time as especially cutting.

It was a relatively unremarkable and common thing.

I don’t expect Sancho to like it. He could well have been stung by it, but the reaction was completely over the top. Immediate too. Like he’d not thought it through. And then still didn’t back down.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:29 PM
shenwen

Quote:

Sancho is an interesting hill to die on tbh... Endearing though.
You know he’s struggling when he starts having a go at Manchester United fans for… being from Manchester

Anyway, Sancho has gone now. Hopefully this daft argument goes with it.

Looking forward to the Sancho Watch thread coming soon

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:35 PM
redhegemony

Guardiola called Phillips fat.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:36 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

This is an eloquent way of saying what i mean.

I don’t condone what sancho did but i understand …i also think that ETH could have been better. It’s doesn’t to be better as he is the boss but it could have been better handled especially with a view of selling him in mind.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:37 PM
Dr Stranger

ETH on Garnacho:

Young kids, they have to grow and to raise their personality.

They have to know the demands in top football, it’s not only about a trick or scoring one goal.

No, we have to win football games and then have to fulfil every day the high standards. That is what we have to teach and not only him, that’s what we have to teach all the players, especially the young players.”

On Sancho:

Jadon, on his performances in training we did not select him. You have to reach a level every day at Manchester United and we can make choices in the front line. So for this game he was not selected.”

Not really much difference between the two. If anything, Garnacho’s is harsher because he’s talking more generally. Sancho’s is about he did that week. Both are not particularly attacking the player and are more of a reminder of the standard required.

People don’t even remember the Garnacho one now, because it didn’t become a big deal and never was.

The difference is in the reaction of each player. One got his head down and kicked on, the other dropped his head and kicked off.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:39 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
You keep saying this, but then can't understand why he's being kicked out of the club. How does the conversation go when he refuses to apologise?

"You need to apologise for what you did."

"No."

"Jaden, everyone agrees that you need to grow up and apologise for what you did and we can move on."

"No."

"attaboy, you're playing this weekend. Try not to be late again..."

Don't you think that a player being late, not training well, very publicly criticising his manager and then refusing to apologise for it being allowed to just carry on as normal would be slightly undermining for the manager of the club?

Would it not set a bad example to the rest of the squad and the players coming through?

Would it not just completely diminish any authority the manager needs to have over their players?

I honestly cannot understand how someone can say that they think he should've apologised, but then blame the manager for the player being kicked out of the club for acting like a #@&%! and refusing to apologise for it
No neither can I.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:40 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
This is an eloquent way of saying what i mean.

I don’t condone what sancho did but i understand …i also think that ETH could have been better. It’s doesn’t to be better as he is the boss but it could have been better handled especially with a view of selling him in mind.
Ok, even if we are being kind to Sancho and say we can understand why he reacted like that. Maybe he was strung. A bit emotional, sensitive etc. that’s fine. He posted something very quickly, which suggested it was an immediate reaction…. Even then, he still had the opportunity to reconsider, let the dust settle and he didn’t do it. He’s lost half a season of football and probably his United career because of it. That is harder to understand and sympathise with.

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:46 PM
marlo

Quote:
I think that’s overstating what he said. He was asked why Sancho wasn’t in the squad and said he didn’t have a good week training and that you have to bring the standards every week. It really wasn’t that big of a deal. He didn’t question his personality or commitment overall, just cited a bad week as to why he wasn’t there that week.

Pep did something very similar with that lad they got from Wolves in the summer. Pochettino called out basically his whole squad recently for complaining if they’re not selected.

You could argue that he didn’t need to say it, he could have said nothing, but it didn’t strike me at the time as especially cutting.

It was a relatively unremarkable and common thing.

I don’t expect Sancho to like it. He could well have been stung by it, but the reaction was completely over the top. Immediate too. Like he’d not thought it through. And then still didn’t back down.
The thing is sancho has obviously been feeling agrieved because the managers pet (let’s be honest Antony doesn’t deserve the preferential treatment he has been given) waltzed back into pre season late , played one game then starts every single game when the season starts while not even playing well.

A lot of Players are fragile ego maniacs especially sancho who has an issue last season so is a special case then you say what you said in the press conference. Could have easily just said “there’s competition for places so someone has to be left out every match day squad…”
Instead of throwing him to the wolves giving the press something to witch-hunt him about. Of course he got pissed and fired that tweet.
Behind closed doors he can let it be known sancho won’t be in the squad until he ups the levels in training and we go on our way.

As i started wi the by yesteday sancho should have apologised but ETH min managements this situation to the point where we are shit and one of our better attacking players is basically being given away at this point.
Doesn’t even help his case when he probably suggest he is given more money to buy ANOTHER WINGER.

Quote:
ETH on Garnacho:

They have to know the demands in top football, it’s not only about a trick or scoring one goal.

No, we have to win football games and then have to fulfil every day the high standards. That is what we have to teach and not only him, that’s what we have to teach all the players, especially the young players.”

On Sancho:

Jadon, on his performances in training we did not select him. You have to reach a level every day at Manchester United and we can make choices in the front line. So for this game he was not selected.”

Not really much difference between the two. If anything, Garnacho’s is harsher because he’s talking more generally. Sancho’s is about he did that week. Both are not particularly attacking the player and are more of a reminder of the standard required.

People don’t even remember the Garnacho one now, because it didn’t become a big deal and never was.

The difference is in the reaction of each player. One got his head down and kicked on, the other dropped his head and kicked off.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-Trafford.html

Roberto Garnacho wrote on Friday: 'If you all knew things that I know you would understand more about who starts and who do not

Unread 10-01-2024, 03:48 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
ETH on Garnacho:

On Sancho:

again, the point is you have to manage individuals, and humans aren't as straightforward as writing down words and saying they look more or less the same group of words to me.

one is a 17 year old breaking through, one is a first team, established international.

one was said whenever it was said, the other was said in a filmed interview, straight after a televised game, that was a big game (utd arsenal) and was also a loss.

maybe if sancho's a youth player, maybe if he's talking in a print interview that comes out weeks later, then yeah. maybe...

not trying to be mr hindsight but when i saw that intw re: sancho i knew that would be a problem. soon as it came out.

*just cos you need to repeat things so some folk don't get things twisted - sancho should have bitten the bullet, but erik misjudged this pretty badly.