United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:12 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
I'm not criticising Smalling to be fair, more the fact that Capello has called him up as he plays for us...

If he was still playing in the 3rd division or wherever (which in all fairness he could still be doing)

Would he have called him up??

I could manage England if I picked players based on club-managers assessments...

I think he is stealing a wage tbh
he's also called up jay bothroyd from the championship.

capello has made some brave and unconventional call ups...not saying they are the right ones but you're being a tad harsh.

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Billy Bigbollox

I think it says more about the dearth of quality English players than anything else. There isn't an awful lot to pick from so why not give a few untried youngsters a bash

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bigbollox
I think it says more about the dearth of quality English players than anything else. There isn't an awful lot to pick from so why not give a few untried youngsters a bash
Bothroyd is 28 tbf

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fix up look SHARPE
he's also called up jay bothroyd from the championship.

capello has made some brave and unconventional call ups...not saying they are the right ones but you're being a tad harsh.

Brave????

Why is it brave? He's signed for utd ffs

It would have been 'brave' had he called him up whilst he was at stevenage borough or wherever he was, even whilst still at fulham..

But he didn't! He picked a utd player

Surely he was good enough for friendlies whilst at fulham last season no??

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Billy Bigbollox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Bothroyd is 28 tbf
I'm 47, 28 is young I was thinking more of Smalling, Wilshire etc but I take your point

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Manchester

Quote:
I'm not criticising Smalling to be fair, more the fact that Capello has called him up as he plays for us...

If he was still playing in the 3rd division or wherever (which in all fairness he could still be doing)

Would he have called him up??

I could manage England if I picked players based on club-managers assessments...

I think he is stealing a wage tbh
Jarvis from Wolves should have been called up, and as you said, say he was at United, he'd of already been playing for England by now.

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:26 PM
shadowplay

Kevin Davies' twitter

Not in the England squad. Time for a beer.

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Kevin Davis' twitter

Used to think he was a bit of a dick before i followed him on twitter, don't mind him now, he's a good lad

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay
Kevin Davis' twitter

Seems a bit odd, Capello saw him play against Spurs and he was class that game, he was in the last squad....

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:37 PM
fix up look SHARPE

Quote:
Brave????

Why is it brave? He's signed for utd ffs

It would have been 'brave' had he called him up whilst he was at stevenage borough or wherever he was, even whilst still at fulham..

But he didn't! He picked a utd player

Surely he was good enough for friendlies whilst at fulham last season no??
maybe smalling has improved as a player since his non league days? he's also not the only player in the squad. there's a cardiff player in there as well you know.

there's a lot you can criticise capello over but he's made some interesting left field squad selections (smalling included - how many people would've called him up?).

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
there's a lot you can criticise capello over but he's made some interesting left field squad selections (smalling included - how many people would've called him up?).
Did he not improve in his Fulham days then no?? Was it only when he signed for MUFC that he 'became' a good player?

Maybe capello should employ Fulhams scouts if he is so keen on 'advocating young talent' rather than waiting for SAF's spotting of a player!

It is exactly the same as it ever was ffs! If you play for a top four team, you get picked...

Smalling played ONCE for fulham after we signed him, and has played a less than marginal role this term for us! Including a spell as centre-forward

Yet he now gets a call-up

Nothing to do with clubs no-siree

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Gorilla Monsoon

It'll do wonders for Smalling though, confidence, experience. He looks like a class act, very comfortable on the ball. He's got some great teachers in Rio and Vidic, he could be a great player in the coming years.

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Coracao

Fergie has picked Smallers games carefully so far. He's had little defending to actually do tbf.

Might learn a bit more about him at West Ham away in the carling cup. They're shit, but they'll be up for it in the quarter final.

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:54 PM
fix up look SHARPE

has it ever crossed your mind that the reason the england squad tends to contain a lot of top four players is because the best players tend to play for the best clubs?

Unread 13-11-2010, 11:58 PM
taff

remember seeing bothroyd play for england schoolboys against brazil back in 1998, he absolutely bossed the game that day. good to see it's only taken him 12 years to make the big time

Unread 14-11-2010, 12:09 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
remember seeing bothroyd play for england schoolboys against brazil back in 1998, he absolutely bossed the game that day. good to see it's only taken him 12 years to make the big time
If we had signed him he would have been a shoe-in

Unread 14-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
has it ever crossed your mind that the reason the england squad tends to contain a lot of top four players is because the best players tend to play for the best clubs?

Thank you for proving my point you plum!

Smalling not playing at Fulham = not worthy of a call-up

Smalling not playing at Utd = worthy of one

Has it ever crossed your mind that you are an imbecile?

Unread 14-11-2010, 12:14 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
Did he not improve in his Fulham days then no?? Was it only when he signed for MUFC that he 'became' a good player?

Maybe capello should employ Fulhams scouts if he is so keen on 'advocating young talent' rather than waiting for SAF's spotting of a player!

It is exactly the same as it ever was ffs! If you play for a top four team, you get picked...

Smalling played ONCE for fulham after we signed him, and has played a less than marginal role this term for us! Including a spell as centre-forward

Yet he now gets a call-up

Nothing to do with clubs no-siree
Could be a lot to do with his games for the U21s too. He's been very good for them of late. Who cares anyway it's a shit friendly.

Unread 14-11-2010, 12:15 AM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Who cares anyway it's a shit friendly.
Word, innit

Unread 14-11-2010, 12:19 AM
Sloane

He will have been called up on the recommendation of stuart pearce from his u21 performances more so than his united ones
Closed Thread